or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Chinese BBQ Chicken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinese BBQ Chicken - Page 2

post #21 of 36

JustPasingThru and Moikel...Thanks very much for the recipes........I appreciate your sharing them with us....Dave

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassingThru View Post

 

 

 

Dave, me too, I love Chinese food, ...so what recipe do you have to share with me?

 

 

Gene

 

 


Gene, Morning.   If you are a chicken gravy lover like I am, this has been a good one from hunting camps to Alaska on the seiner. It is great for sausage, gravy and biscuits also.

Brown the meat of choice in bacon fat/oil combination. Add some beer depending on the amount of meat and braise lid/on to cook thoroughly covering the meat in onions and garlic to taste. When the meat is cooked, remove to the lid of the pan and reduce remaining liquid until the beer is gone. The onions/garlic should be pretty well carmelized at this point.  Add Krusteaz pancake mix to make a Roux. 3 heaping Tbls is my norm. Makes about 1 qt.  If there is not enough oil add more. There should be plenty of chicken fat remaining in the pan. Brown the mix until a light tan color has developed. With constant stirring add milk. Once the milk has been added the heat can be elevated. (don't want to burn the garlic) Add milk and stir. Bring to a boil to thicken. Add milk. At this point the worlds largest pancake will develope until enough milk has been added to overcome the leavening agents in the pancake mix. Add milk.  My gravy always has lumps.......

I have had folks cringe when I made this gravy until they tasted it.......seems bisquick, wondra or white flour was all they ever used.
 

 


Edited by DaveOmak - 8/22/11 at 6:53am
post #22 of 36

Wow, that is some nice looking grub, great pictures as well.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I've been working on an Asian sauce for a while similar to yours and never thought of the saki.

 

tell me what you think

Ingredients:

    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
 

Isn't Mirin and Sake similar?

post #23 of 36

I thought mirin was for cooking ,sake was for drinking,but they are Japanese not chinese not that it matters. Chinese rice wine Shao Xhing,for cooking or dry sherry was always the suggested substitute for Australians more likely to have a bottle stashed away covered in dust . Hope this helps. You will want to cook it off a bit to get rid of raw alcohol taste.

post #24 of 36

Wow Gene that looks amazing. I thought I would get a personal email with a cook this good LOL

I know I owe you and email and will send it soon. Man that looks good.

post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 

 

 

Thanks Joe!

 

Moikel, whoa!!!   That's quite a sauce you have there, I'm afraid the Chinese chefs(?) here are a lot more "thrifty" with their ingredients.   biggrin.gif   

Since you probably have some already prepared in the freezer how about putting some in an aluminum pan with your choice of meat and smoke it for us, ...I would love to see the Q-view.

 

Thanks Bear, I thought you would like that!

 

Dave, chicken gravy on buttered white rice, that's right up there with Chinese food, thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try, I've seen Krusteaz Pancake mix here, ...also a out board (electric hand blender) works miracles on the lumpy gravy.

 

SQWIB, thanks for the compliment, I don't really know much about "making up" Chinese recipes, there is a large Chinese community here and when we have a pot luck I bring smoked and they bring Chinese, most are good and some are excellent, but it's really hard to pry the recipes out of them, also I don't know what the difference is between Mirin or Sake, I just bought it because it was in the recipe, ...also thank you for the chicken bites recipes, we tried the pineapple yesterday and it was very good.

 

Moikel, thanks for explaining that.

 

Gary, long time no see buddy, I guess we have both been busy, thank for the compliment, I tried the orzo recipe you sent, it was a winner, ...several times, I tried orzo, coconut milk and shrimp tonight, but the coconut milk took too long to cook in and burned, oh well, it works with rice, thanks again.

 

Gene

 

 


Edited by JustPassingThru - 8/23/11 at 2:09am
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassingThru View Post

 

 

Thanks Joe!

 

Moikel, whoa!!!   That's quite a sauce you have there, I'm afraid the Chinese chefs(?) here are a lot more "thrifty" with their ingredients.   biggrin.gif   

Since you probably have some already prepared in the freezer how about putting some in an aluminum pan with your choice of meat and smoke it for us, ...I would love to see the Q-view.

 

Thanks Bear, I thought you would like that!

 

Dave, chicken gravy on buttered white rice, that's right up there with Chinese food, thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try, I've seen Krusteaz Pancake mix here, ...also a out board (electric hand blender) works miracles on the lumpy gravy.

 

SQWIB, thanks for the compliment, I don't really know much about "making up" Chinese recipes, there is a large Chinese community here and when we have a pot luck I bring smoked and they bring Chinese, most are good and some are excellent, but it's really hard to pry the recipes out of them, also I don't know what the difference is between Mirin or Sake, I just bought it because it was in the recipe, ...also thank you for the chicken bites recipes, we tried the pineapple yesterday and it was very good.

 

Moikel, thanks for explaining that.

 

Gary, long time no see buddy, I guess we have both been busy, thank for the compliment, I tried the orzo recipe you sent, it was a winner, ...several times, I tried orzo, coconut milk and shrimp tonight, but the coconut milk took too long to cook in and burned, oh well, it works with rice, thanks again.

 

Gene

 

 

OK Im on it let me think it through,Ill do pork belly part cook it then cleaver it then smoke it to finish it.baste it with masterstock I think.439.gif.My masterstock is 4 years old so it is thrifty also I figure you pay more than I  do for imported stuff into Tahiti. I love this forum.
 

 

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikel View Post

I thought mirin was for cooking ,sake was for drinking,but they are Japanese not chinese not that it matters. Chinese rice wine Shao Xhing,for cooking or dry sherry was always the suggested substitute for Australians more likely to have a bottle stashed away covered in dust . Hope this helps. You will want to cook it off a bit to get rid of raw alcohol taste.


Due to an incident about 42 years ago, I get an upset stomach just hearing the word "sake".  eek.gif

 

 

Bear

 

post #28 of 36

It looks real good from here !!!

post #29 of 36

it looks amazing my Friend you are cooking   great eats here thankspraise.gif

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




Due to an incident about 42 years ago, I get an upset stomach just hearing the word "sake".  eek.gif

 

 

Bear

 

Have same reaction to the word tequila.
 

 

post #31 of 36
Looks good
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikel View Post



Have same reaction to the word tequila.
 

 


LOL---Only one worm in Tequila. The Sake I drank was covered with maggots. Had to drink it through a straw. Didn't know why until they lifted the lid.

 

Never again!

 

Guess I'm a wimp!

 

Bear

 

post #33 of 36

gone


Edited by Kingkoch42 - 12/8/11 at 1:36pm
post #34 of 36

gone


Edited by Kingkoch42 - 12/8/11 at 1:36pm
post #35 of 36
Thread Starter 

Roller, thank you for the compliment.

 

Ahron, thank you for the kind words and my next sausage project will be the Spicy Pepperoni you made, thanks for the tutorial.

 

Jrod, thank you for the compliment.

 

Moikel and Bear, you two make me laugh, I'll be chuckling about that all day, Bear I bet you were just a little bit upset when they removed the cover, HA!!!

I sure would of liked to have seen the expression on your face, ...I can just picture you turning green. 

 

...for me it was chicken and pineapple, it's a long story, ...but SQWIB has helped me to overcome.

 

Have a good day my friends,

 

Gene

post #36 of 36
Thread Starter 

 

 

Bon jour Cal,

 

Thanks for the compliment, I have to go to work, I'll post the kai fan recipe tonight.

 

Gene

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Chinese BBQ Chicken