SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!) - Page 12

post #221 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexnova View Post

Few questions... New to smoking on eletric smoker and never smoked a prime rib or used any pellets.... When u say u scored it.. You just cut down through the prime rib all over it above half inch down??? And using those hickory pellets you just light one end and it just slowly burns all the way across to the other end of it? Thanks man that prime rib looks fantastic!

Thank You Dexnova!!

I make cuts only on the top Fat Cap, in two directions. I make the cuts through the fat, and stop where the knife hits the red meat. This makes it easier for the smoke & seasoning to get through the fat to the meat.

And Yes, if you fill the AMNPS, and light one end properly, it will follow the maze all the way to the end, while making the perfect amount of smoke for up to 11 hours, without touching it.

 

 

Bear

post #222 of 264

Just had to look at it again  Wow

 

Gary

post #223 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

Just had to look at it again  Wow

 

Gary

 

 

Thanks Gary !!!

 

If you just want to look, my Prime Rib Calendar is the best----There's currently 14 different Prime Rib Smokes on there.

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138992/prime-rib-calendar-my-favorite-smokes

 

 

Bear

post #224 of 264

I have a single rib prime rib in the deep freeze (2.25 pounds)...will give this a try.  Unfortunately I will not get to do the overnight with the seasoning, so I will just glob it on a bit thicker.  Going to try your recipe for something different...my go-to seasoning for prime rib is salt, pepper, garlic powder. 

 

11:00 AM edit - Seasoned.  Wrapped.  Looked at original recipe (guessing 3-rib rib roast) - was about 50 minutes per pound.  So I am guessing 2 hours or so for my much thinner single rib rib roast.  I am guessing I will put this on the smoker around 3 PM...so 4-hour soak on the seasoning.


Edited by Uncle Eddie - 6/4/16 at 9:00am
post #225 of 264

Wow wow wow...I will never have prime rib any other way again.

 

 :drool:

post #226 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eddie View Post
 

Wow wow wow...I will never have prime rib any other way again.

 

Looks Great, Eddie!!:drool

 

Love It !!!

 

You're definitely hooked now!!!

 

Bear

post #227 of 264
Your prime rib looks amazing! Being new to this please take no offense, but how was the tenderness? Would wrapping it in foil and cooking to a more medium- medium well affect the tenderness?
post #228 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconplayer26 View Post

Your prime rib looks amazing! Being new to this please take no offense, but how was the tenderness? Would wrapping it in foil and cooking to a more medium- medium well affect the tenderness?

Thank You!!
Simply "Melt-in-your-mouth" Tender when done by my low & slow method, and stopping at between 138° and 144° IT.

Neither foiling or taking above 150° IT would do anything beneficial to a Choice Prime Rib. IMHO

 

There is nothing in a Choice Prime Rib that needs to be broken down by foiling & longer cooking, like a Butt or Brisket.

 

 

Bear


Edited by Bearcarver - 7/29/16 at 3:17pm
post #229 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoknJon View Post

This prime rib was taken off at 130, let it rest for 30 min and turned out great!!! First time doing one!!

 

Looks beautiful.  Almost looks too red, but 130 is fine.  I've sous vide a roast to 131 so I know it's great that temp :)

post #230 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Smoker View Post
 

 

Looks beautiful.  Almost looks too red, but 130 is fine.  I've sous vide a roast to 131 so I know it's great that temp :)


For those who enjoy seeing Nice Pink from Bark to Bark Prime Ribs, below is a whole mess of them, all taken to a finished (rested) Temp of between 138° and 144°.

 

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138992/prime-rib-calendar-my-favorite-smokes

 

 

Bear

post #231 of 264
I've done several 13+ lb PR using your method, Bear. They all have come out fantastic.

In fact it's so easy, but thoroughly impresses my quests, that it's my go to cook when guest are involved.

If ya haven't tried bears method, do it soon. You won't be disappointed.
post #232 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post

I've done several 13+ lb PR using your method, Bear. They all have come out fantastic.

In fact it's so easy, but thoroughly impresses my quests, that it's my go to cook when guest are involved.

If ya haven't tried bears method, do it soon. You won't be disappointed.


That's Great !!

 

Thank You for the Compliments!!

 

Bear

post #233 of 264

Once again, and as always, thank you for your smoking expertise Bear.  I just saw that Standing Rib Roast is on sale at my local supermarket for $5.99/lb.  I sure hope that's a good price.  I think that I'll be picking one up to do for Christmas along with the ham.  I'm so excited, I can't wait.  I've wanted to do one for the longest time.

 

I do have one question for you Bear, is this like a pork butt in the way you spray it for the first few hours with apple juice?

 

Chad

post #234 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig1 View Post
 

Once again, and as always, thank you for your smoking expertise Bear.  I just saw that Standing Rib Roast is on sale at my local supermarket for $5.99/lb.  I sure hope that's a good price.  I think that I'll be picking one up to do for Christmas along with the ham.  I'm so excited, I can't wait.  I've wanted to do one for the longest time.

 

I do have one question for you Bear, is this like a pork butt in the way you spray it for the first few hours with apple juice?

 

Chad


$5.99 is an Awesome Price for "Choice" Standing Rib, and a very good price for a "Select" Standing Rib. I try to buy Choice all the time, but I have had a Select that was hard to tell from Choice.

 

No Spraying needed with a Prime Rib.

Since it will be your first one, just do the things I did---Everything is there, at the beginning of this thread & in the Pictures.

 

Here's one I like even more, because it has less clean-up & no loss of Smoke Flavor:

Link:
 
 

Bear

post #235 of 264
Thanks Bear, I too like that idea.
post #236 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig1 View Post

Thanks Bear, I too like that idea.


You won't believe how good this is.

 

Prime Rib is one of the easiest things I Smoke, with the Biggest Reward.:drool

 

 

Bear

post #237 of 264

I'm truly excited.  I think that instead of just a regular pan beneath the Prime Rib, I think that I'll incorporate Chef JJ's Au Jus into it.  My wife loves Au Jus.  I'm just so excited, I want to make it now.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

post #238 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig1 View Post
 

I'm truly excited.  I think that instead of just a regular pan beneath the Prime Rib, I think that I'll incorporate Chef JJ's Au Jus into it.  My wife loves Au Jus.  I'm just so excited, I want to make it now.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


You can do that, but get a wire cooling rack to put it on, so it doesn't actually sit in any juice.

Then you will have to add some juice or "Stock" to the pan, because using my Method & Temps there won't be much drippings, and all of the Meat Juices will stay in the Prime Rib, keeping it nice & juicy.

That's why I save Drippings for AuJus with Chuckies, Butts, etc, but not with my Prime Ribs---They don't actually need AuJus. The Juices are still in the meat.

 

 

Bear

post #239 of 264

My only concern is that, since I smoke with a wood fire, my smoker tends to burn a little hotter.  Say around 275-300.  I know that I did read your comment about your Prime Rib not needing Au Jus, and I'm sure that it doesn't.  I guess that I want to do it just for aesthetics for the wife because she loves Au Jus.

post #240 of 264
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig1 View Post
 

My only concern is that, since I smoke with a wood fire, my smoker tends to burn a little hotter.  Say around 275-300.  I know that I did read your comment about your Prime Rib not needing Au Jus, and I'm sure that it doesn't.  I guess that I want to do it just for aesthetics for the wife because she loves Au Jus.


If you can't keep the smoker below 250°, you can't get it to that Nice Pink from Bark to Bark.

At 275°-300°, if you take it to below 140°IT, it will be Pink in the center, but gray on the outer couple inches & on both ends.

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!)