or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Teeznuts needs jerky advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Teeznuts needs jerky advice - Page 2

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post



 

I wish I could tell you, but I never tried that. I don't know if that would strip out some of the cure.

How about the other way---Marinate it over night. Then cure it with 1 TBS  of TQ per pound for 1 to 3 hours???

 

 

Bear
 

 


 


That actually sounds better that way, just figure on watching the salt content in the marinade.

post #22 of 31

I have never used a food dehydrator, but have always smoked my jerky.  I also usually do about 5 pounds of London Cut at a time.  That being said, with the soy sauces, and other types of liquid seasonings I use to make my marinades there is usually a large amount of salt content.  Most of the time I use 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt (Kosher).  Depending on the amount of time that I choose to marinade I use this as my basis for how much salt I will be using.  I go with 1/2 Kosher, and 1/2 Morton's cure.  I do not cure first, I just add it to my marinade.  I base the cure penetration at 1/4 inch every 12 hours, normally using 1 tablespoon/ 1 tablespoon.  If I want to marinade longer I decrease the amount of salts. The amount is also effected by how thick my slices are.  I usually cut my slices at 1/4 inch.   Like I stated, I use my smoker and not a dehydrator, but this has never disappointed me or my taste testers.  Dehydrators may change things, but I would assume cure penetration in the marinade would be more effective than just coating the meat then washing it off.  I hope this helps.

post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashunsmoke View Post

I have never used a food dehydrator, but have always smoked my jerky.  I also usually do about 5 pounds of London Cut at a time.  That being said, with the soy sauces, and other types of liquid seasonings I use to make my marinades there is usually a large amount of salt content.  Most of the time I use 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt (Kosher).  Depending on the amount of time that I choose to marinade I use this as my basis for how much salt I will be using.  I go with 1/2 Kosher, and 1/2 Morton's cure.  I do not cure first, I just add it to my marinade.  I base the cure penetration at 1/4 inch every 12 hours, normally using 1 tablespoon/ 1 tablespoon.  If I want to marinade longer I decrease the amount of salts. The amount is also effected by how thick my slices are.  I usually cut my slices at 1/4 inch.   Like I stated, I use my smoker and not a dehydrator, but this has never disappointed me or my taste testers.  Dehydrators may change things, but I would assume cure penetration in the marinade would be more effective than just coating the meat then washing it off.  I hope this helps.




Actually it does help, the penetration part is the key here.

Do you have a resource for this statement,  I base the cure penetration at 1/4 inch every 12 hours, normally using 1 tablespoon/ 1 tablespoon.  If I want to marinade longer I decrease the amount of salts. The amount is also effected by how thick my slices are.  I usually cut my slices at 1/4 inch. 

Would like to add the info to my website but only if it can be backed.

 

BTW

 

1aa Welcome brisket green.jpg

post #24 of 31

Funny you should ask, I do have a reference for that information.  It's the only grilling book I have and recieved it for my birthday from my parents.  It is called "Great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-Meat-Curing/dp/0025668609 

 

I hope this is a reference you can use.  There is a bunch of great stuff in that book.

post #25 of 31

Fashunsmoke thanks

Have to put it on my wishlist.

But for now can you post a scan of the page referencing the cure.

Getting ready to do some jerky soon and may want to tweak my recipe.

 

Thanks again

post #26 of 31

Great instructions Sqwib!

 

Thank-you!

post #27 of 31

I thought you were using my recipe teez.

post #28 of 31
Thread Starter 

alelover I did end up using your recipe but I haven't had room in the smoker to do the jerky yet. Its still in the ziplock swimming in your marinade. since it's cured will it still be ok with a good rinse or should I start over? It's been in the marinade about 4-5 days. Smells incredible by the way.

post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post

Fashunsmoke thanks

Have to put it on my wishlist.

But for now can you post a scan of the page referencing the cure.

Getting ready to do some jerky soon and may want to tweak my recipe.

 

Thanks again




I found this not sure if it is what you are looking for.

 

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/recipe-make-beef-jerky-p-255.html

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtrdave View Post






I found this not sure if it is what you are looking for.

 

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/recipe-make-beef-jerky-p-255.html


 

Thanks, just read through it and can not find anything to solidify my 1.5 teaspoon per pound.

I contacted Morton and they sent me a curing meats book with recipes and their recipe calls for a dry cure using 1 tablespoon per pound of whole muscle meat sliced at  a 1/2" thick

 

I am going to re edit my recipe in this post

 

post #31 of 31

I usually only do one day. Better soak and rinse it real good in cold water. I don't know why it would be bad. It will have a strong flavor. And being cured that long you probably won't have to smoke it hot. Just mostly dehydrate it in the prescence of smoke..


Edited by alelover - 8/23/11 at 4:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Making Jerky
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Teeznuts needs jerky advice