SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Side Fire Box › Building a smoker, and probably not good questions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a smoker, and probably not good questions...

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

So this question goes outside of building a smoker, but I see these pictures and I have to do it. I can find all the materials, dirt cheap (barrels are $10!) but I've never welded anything although I have seen flashdance so I've seen a welder. Is it that difficult and dangerous to do? I know I can rent one or even buy one, and I also know that you need a certain power to it the thicker you go. My wife would not be happy though if I start buying materials and then find out I can't do it. Worse off, if I start and meld myself to the side of the house.

 

Am I barking up the wrong tree and should try building a smoke house instead of one of these? I'm not sure I wouldn't encounter the same problems...

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jay View Post

So this question goes outside of building a smoker, but I see these pictures and I have to do it. I can find all the materials, dirt cheap (barrels are $10!) but I've never welded anything although I have seen flashdance so I've seen a welder. Is it that difficult and dangerous to do? I know I can rent one or even buy one, and I also know that you need a certain power to it the thicker you go. My wife would not be happy though if I start buying materials and then find out I can't do it. Worse off, if I start and meld myself to the side of the house.

 

Am I barking up the wrong tree and should try building a smoke house instead of one of these? I'm not sure I wouldn't encounter the same problems...



 

If you are building a UDS from the drums, you really don't need to weld anything. It will all bolt together without any structural concerns. It is hard to beat a UDS in terms of efficiency and flavor. Just my 2 cents.

post #3 of 7

I built this smoker a few years ago and there was only 3-4 spot welds in it. Didn't need any but I had to try my MIG out. Not very well I maight add. Thin material!

http://www.bbqjunkie.com/equipment/build-a-double-barrel-bbq/. This thing cooked great. Is still being used today. Did a few mods but you can PM me if you want to try it out

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaryellow View Post





 

If you are building a UDS from the drums, you really don't need to weld anything. It will all bolt together without any structural concerns. It is hard to beat a UDS in terms of efficiency and flavor. Just my 2 cents.




So how do you cut the steel? Sorry, I'm naive on this,,,

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jay View Post






So how do you cut the steel? Sorry, I'm naive on this,,,


Look at my signature below and click on Charcoal UDS, that would be a start on a Barrel smoker aka "UDS"  Any other questions just holler, I'm here to help. icon14.gif

 

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jay View Post






So how do you cut the steel? Sorry, I'm naive on this,,,



 

Assuming UDS, there are many ways. A chisel and hammer will work but will take some time, a jig saw will work, an angle grinder will work, a nibbler should work, and I used an air chisel for mine.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meateater View Post




Look at my signature below and click on Charcoal UDS, that would be a start on a Barrel smoker aka "UDS"  Any other questions just holler, I'm here to help. icon14.gif

 



 So this was not what I was thinking of doing but now I am, this is totally awesome. That's an impressive smoker. Does it work well with cold smoking? I'm guessing too, in theory, you could use the one barrell for both wood and electric as long as the element is removable? I'm also guessing that they are relatively inexpensive?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Side Fire Box
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Side Fire Box › Building a smoker, and probably not good questions...