or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Question regarding Making Jerky
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question regarding Making Jerky - Page 2

post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 

What brand of  dehydrator do you have. I have the ronco and i do not believe i have ever got it above 145???

I bet its a Excalibur??? Did i win did i win??

Karl

 

 

post #22 of 39

Nope

http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7f01f1ea/subcategory_39febe0b9343/product_8667b3bd030d/session_9ac3e5d83ba4/

 

Works great

 

TJ

No Creosote! A-Maze-N Smokers

Reply
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alelover View Post

After all I've been reading here I may not quit curing my jerky all together but I may try probably cutting it in half. I use TQ so it would lower the salt a bunch too. I only cure it for 1 day anyhow.



Remember the ratio for TQ is less for thin sliced meats, I believe it is half (1.5 teaspoon)

post #24 of 39
Thread Starter 

I have been reading the instructions for jerky put out by the different dehydrator company's and they do not use cure. In fact they seem to love the cheating way and use soy sauce a lot and the temp settings are never above 160*.  A few only say to 155*

The ones that are set to 160* for the high I would doubt the in reality get the meat to 160*

I will continue to use my trusty Dryer and let the sun do its work without cure.

I guess that is why they call it a guideline. Salt +  Pepper + Garlic + hot pepper= Jerky drool.gif

Another Beautiful day in Gods country

Karl

post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post





Remember the ratio for TQ is less for thin sliced meats, I believe it is half (1.5 teaspoon)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelover View Post

After all I've been reading here I may not quit curing my jerky all together but I may try probably cutting it in half. I use TQ so it would lower the salt a bunch too. I only cure it for 1 day anyhow.



For some reason and i do not know where i got this idea from i have always been of the believe that if you did not use the perscribed dose of cure it was a waste of cure.

I would be interested to hear other thoughts on using less cure then called for.

Karl
 

 

 

post #26 of 39

I been making jerky for 40+ years and never use any cure...however my maranite does have Soy and Woris^%$#@*&^% sauce in it and I usually marinate in the frig for up to a week...Never had a problem.

post #27 of 39
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

I been making jerky for 40+ years and never use any cure...however my maranite does have Soy and Woris^%$#@*&^% sauce in it and I usually marinate in the frig for up to a week...Never had a problem.



Me 3

I do like drying whole muscle jerky in the sun also.

One thing i just tried out using the summer sausage mix is to roll it out and freeze a little and cut with a pizza cutter into strips to  make jerky with that . Of course that does have cure in it and i thought it tasted great. In fact i ordered the Lem # 22 patty maker just for that reason. I make the reconstructed jerky because i know so many people because of health reasons cannot chew and digest the whole muscle jerky. Turns out great. I still had a whole lot more seasonings to the batch.

Karl

 

 

post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post




 



For some reason and i do not know where i got this idea from i have always been of the believe that if you did not use the perscribed dose of cure it was a waste of cure.

I would be interested to hear other thoughts on using less cure then called for.

Karl
 

 

 


That is what I believe.(If I'm gonna use it, I'm gonna use it the recommended way)

Use it as recommended on the package

 

 

I am pretty sure its 1 TABLESPOON per Pound of whole muscle meat and half that amount for ground and thin sliced meat.

1.5 teaspoons is a half of a TABLESPOON

3 teaspoons = a TABLESPOON

 

Theres more to using cure with other types of meats and such, but since this is directed at Jerky, I 'm gonna leave that

post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 



 



Just read the manual on making jerky for this unit and for beef jerky they also only go to 155. even though i think it say 160 on the front control the manual says thermostat high is 155.

However for chicken and other meat besides beef or venison they say to cook in oven to 160.

Interesting.

They even mention that you are drying without cooking.

Karl

 

 

post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post




That is what I believe.(If I'm gonna use it, I'm gonna use it the recommended way)

Use it as recommended on the package

 

 

I am pretty sure its 1 TABLESPOON per Pound of whole muscle meat and half that amount for ground and thin sliced meat.

1.5 teaspoons is a half of a TABLESPOON

3 teaspoons = a TABLESPOON

 

Theres more to using cure with other types of meats and such, but since this is directed at Jerky, I 'm gonna leave that



Do to TBI i cannot remember that stuf so i realy follow the instructions i have printed out and use. I will read probably 3 or 4 time before finely putting it all together. Not to mention  the boss she helps a whole lot.

I will be using my scale quit a bit though.

Makes me feel Professional.

Regarding Jerkey from the sausage mix i am glad i used the kit because it does have some pork.

Karl

 

 

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post


That is what I believe.(If I'm gonna use it, I'm gonna use it the recommended way)

Use it as recommended on the package

 

I am pretty sure its 1 TABLESPOON per Pound of whole muscle meat and half that amount for ground and thin sliced meat.

1.5 teaspoons is a half of a TABLESPOON

3 teaspoons = a TABLESPOON

 

Theres more to using cure with other types of meats and such, but since this is directed at Jerky, I 'm gonna leave that


That's what the newest Morton book has (8/05), except for the thinly sliced for Jerky.

 

They have 1 TBS (1/2 ounce) per pound of whole meat.

1/2 TBS (1.5tsp----1/4 ounce) for ground meat.

But they are still telling to use 1 TBS per pound of thin sliced whole meat for their Jerky Recipe, but then they are only telling you to marinate it for ONE hour.

Then rinse it & take it to 160˚ internal temp.

 

Before anyone asks me, I don't know how you can accurately  tell the internal temp of something 1/4" or less thick.

 

Later,

Bear

 

post #32 of 39
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




That's what the newest Morton book has (8/05), except for the thinly sliced for Jerky.

 

They have 1 TBS (1/2 ounce) per pound of whole meat.

1/2 TBS (1.5tsp----1/4 ounce) for ground meat.

But they are still telling to use 1 TBS per pound of thin sliced whole meat for their Jerky Recipe, but then they are only telling you to marinate it for ONE hour.

Then rinse it & take it to 160˚ internal temp.

 

Before anyone asks me, I don't know how you can accurately  tell the internal temp of something 1/4" or less thick.

 

Later,

Bear

 


Bear i do not see how it would work for the thin pcs of meat either. However i read you fold over a pc of meat with the temp probe inside.

I have never tried it but that is what i read.

Thank you for the input.

by the way i emailed Morton an hr ago and they wrote back saying they would be happy to send me a book. Fast and pleasant service.

 

Karl

Happy smokin
 

 

 

post #33 of 39

th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

 

WheresTheBeef.jpeg

post #34 of 39
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meateater View Post

th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

 

WheresTheBeef.jpeg

Still taking a freezer Nap. Actually this discussion is about "To cure or not to cure. That is the question."  Waiting for Lem to get me the correct #22 attachment for the sticks and jerky. Reconstructed that is.

Karl

 

 

 

post #35 of 39
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post



 

Still taking a freezer Nap. Actually this discussion is about "To cure or not to cure. That is the question."  Waiting for Lem to get me the correct #22 attachment for the sticks and jerky. Reconstructed that is.

Karl

 

 

 



Actually even more then that.  It also is about proper temp as according to USDA and most if not all of the Dehydrator company's.

Interesting different of recommended temp.

Even the drying units that have 160* on the control say in the manual that the temp is only 155*

VERRRRY Interesting.

I think i am of the opinion now that we have this discussion going that i will use the cure when i have any thing other then Beef in my Jerky. And i will trust the unit to do what they say it will do even though it does not agree with USDA.

I figure if i die i can sue ronco.  biggrin.gif

If i come back as a cow i will be a rich cow.

Karl

 

 

post #36 of 39

Bear just stack the 1/4 in. pieces on top of one another then stick the probe in...yahoo.gif I have always wanted to make jerky the old fashion way by air drying it and I think right now would be the time to do it with these temps the way they have been lately...

post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 



 



I asked Nesco why the difference on the control and manual for temp. Here is there answer.

 

 

 

The FD-80 goes to 160. The manual is a generic manual sent out with all temp control units.
All of the jerky seasoning come with spice & cure pkgs. (25pk comes with 25 spices pkgs & 25cure pkgs.)
Shannon
Customer Service Representative
Nesco - American Harvest

 

Thanx Todd for the link.

Karl
 


Edited by ExhaustedSpark - 7/29/11 at 10:00am
post #38 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

Bear just stack the 1/4 in. pieces on top of one another then stick the probe in...yahoo.gif I have always wanted to make jerky the old fashion way by air drying it and I think right now would be the time to do it with these temps the way they have been lately...



You will not regret making sun jerky. Something about just tastes good.

Happy drying.

Karl

 

 

post #39 of 39

Been making my jerky in a smoke house for years!!!  No cure, no sodium nitrite, just marinate for 48 hours. set the temp in the smoke house to 175 degrees, which gets the jerky to 150, add smoke all day until it is dry but not brittle. It give it a nice natural wood flavor and it dries under heat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Making Jerky
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Question regarding Making Jerky