Started smoking my 8lb at 6am this morning on my 18" Weber SM. First the Upside of the day:
- Used Humphrey Lump. LOVE IT. I bought a 20lb bag and used not even a 1/4 of it and it lasted 14 hours with some left over. I have 6 bags of Kingsford that will never be used. i bought into the big Lowes sale.
- temps held between 220-230 for the entire time without much babysitting.
- New rub on the butt was money.
Now the downs:
- there is not much smoke taste. i used hickory and kept it on until temp was 170. Does wood go bad? I had a bag of cowboy hickory from last year, so maybe that was the problem.
- I was hoping the butt would be done by 6pm, but was only at 166 after 12 hours so I wrapped in foil and increase temp to 250.
- Calibrated two thermometers and they were right on. With meat in foil, the temp was reading 180. I unwrapped the foil and the meat was pulling away from the bone. One easy twist and the bone was out. First time that boned pulled out at 180. So not sure what happen.
All in all, I am happy and glad I did the Q a day in advance. Hope you all have a good 4th.