I'm Jenny. I'm an ICU nurse in Tulsa. We just bought a MasterBuilt electric smoker for our anniversary (I was the one that really wanted it - lots of friends at the hospital who talk about their smokers). Never smoked before, but I'm excited to learn. Found this site while trying to learn online - I've already seen some great advice and ideas. Can't wait to try some of them. What a great idea this site is - I was very excited to find it!
Another newbie in Tulsa
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- 20,419 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
- Points: 1083
- Select All Posts By This User
Welcome to your new home. This place is very addictive. The recipes and pictures (Qviews) will get you thinking about your next Q, you will salivate on your keyboard and dream of Pulled Pork, Buckboard Bacon, ABT's and Fattys.
Enjoy the long smokey ride.
- 10,102 Posts. Joined 5/2007
- Location: Kansas City, KS
- Points: 36
- Select All Posts By This User
Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.
This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.
Many of our members have years of experience in smoking meat. They are more than happy helping Newbies learn the art.
We have members who cure there own Bacon, Hams, Jerky, Snack Sticks, Make Their own Sausage, etc. if you want to learn,
this is the place.
Don't be afraid to ask questions of them and follow their advice. You won't be sorry, you will be making great Q in no time at all...
Just remember, when curing your own meats follow the instructions included with the cure to the letter, this is not something to experiment with.
Never use more cure no mater if it is Tender Quick or Cure #1 or Cure #2 than the manufacturer says to use, this can be very dangerous.
Tender Quick and Cure#1 or Cure #2 are not interchangeable, neither Cure #1 interchangeable with Cure #2 or vise versa
Sign up for Jeff's 5-Day eCourse. Click Here
Tips For New Members.
- Go into your profile and Under Location put where you are.
- City & State or Area & State will do. This will help members when answering your questions.
- Go to ROLL CALL thread and tell us a little about Yourself (A Name We Can Call You) and Experience & Equipment.
- Do Not Post your other questions and smokes in the Roll Call Forum.
- Post your questions and smokes in the Proper Forum, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Electric Smoker, Charcoal Smoker etc.
- Use the Wiki Section, many of our members have posted great tutorials and instructional threads so take advantage of them.
- When you can't find an answer ask plenty of questions, we have some highly experienced members willing to help you.
- When posting about your smokes be sure to post plenty of Qview (Pictures) Our Moto, "No Pics, Didn't Happen".
- Get a good Probe Thermometer, Don't Depend on the Built in Thermometer in your Smoker (They are notorious for being off).
- A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732
- Remember, We Always Cook by Temperature and NOT BY TIME...
- Don't Take Chances, Always Follow USDA Safety Guidelines When Handling Meat.
If you are wanting to get into curing meat, there are many members here more than happy to help and give good advice.
If you are unsure of a procedure ASK, don't ASSUME, It will make your Smoking experience much more pleasant...