or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Brisket - There is no reason to cook over 8 hrs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brisket - There is no reason to cook over 8 hrs

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I have been cooking briskets (6 lb) at 250* full dry rub both sides of brisket.. 1hr smoke time.. 2 hrs cook time exposed.. then 3.5 hours wraped in foil until internal temp is 180*.  I think you waste alot of time and money going any longer at lower temps. Yes you can cook 200 - 225 for 10 hrs... But why. It does not come out any better or tender... It has almost become this thing who can cook meat the longest....Try this method at least once before you comment  250* 6.5 hrs and you are done. I have tried to cook brisket at 220* for 10hrs I just dont get it.


Edited by j4165y - 6/26/11 at 10:45am
post #2 of 18

So do you go 6.5 hours and that's it or go by internal temp once you get around  the 6.5 mark? Are you slicing your brisket? I would think you must be because I don't see how you would be able to pull it at that low of an internal temp. You usually need to get the internal temp up around 200+ before it wants to pull very good.

I personally go by internal temp to tell me when its time to take the meat off.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

At 250* it will get to 180* in 6.5 hours all the time. I dont like 190 to 200 internal temp its just way too dried out. At 180* it has tenderness and good moisture.

post #4 of 18

That's the glory of cooking at lower temps,  it doesn't dry out with the long cook times plus it picks up more smoke flavor and a better smoke ring.  I'll never tell you that your method is wrong, just that in my 35 years of smoking brisket I like the way I do it.

 

Al

post #5 of 18

Just goes to show you there is no right or wrong way to smoke a piece of meat. If you take 10 guys and have them smoke something you will probably have 9 or 10 different ways to  do it. The main thing I have learned is most of it is a personal preference thing. If you like it one way do it. The next guy may not like it that way but if you you do then who cares. To each its own I guess. Welcome to the forum. You should stop by roll call so we can give you a proper welcome.

post #6 of 18
Must be a baby-packer. 250* for a 14-18lbr will get your beef out to rest in @ about 1.25 hrs/lb in my smokers. I've run several @ 240-250...wasn't worth picking up the pace, IMO.

Eric
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

Yes I dont really go over 6 pound brisket at 250* and I see your point. Its all personal taste. Kinda like people who boil ribs (Yuck) then put on grill. But some people like it this way. Thank you for the welcome.

post #8 of 18

Yea good point. If you have a smaller brisket then I can see  it getting done in 6.5 hours but if you had a big guy then it wouldn't get done in that amount of time unless you kicked it up to around 300 degrees which some people do as well and have great  success. Do many different options.

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4165y View Post

At 250* it will get to 180* in 6.5 hours all the time. I dont like 190 to 200 internal temp its just way too dried out. At 180* it has tenderness and good moisture.



If you run that same brisket at 200°, low, slow, and steady using the same method you already do it will stay moist at 195°-200° internal temp. Had a friend point out something to me couple years back on brisket - water boils at 212°, so the higher temp. you run your brisket at the more liquids you boil/stem out of the meat as it cooks.

 

I personally live by the motto "It's done, when it's done", be that 10 hrs. or 20 hrs. I do two checks on my brisket starting at about 185° IT: 1) look at the internal temp, 2) poke it with a toothpick or fork. When the toothpick or fork can slide in like it's butter it is done.  I have had briskets done anywhere between 185° to 210° depending on the piece of meat, but I have learned to be patient and don't rush it.

 

post #10 of 18

I agree with Johnny on this one. Plus you get a great bark formation in a long slow cook.

post #11 of 18

250 is not that crazy high over the normal smoking temp. What im not so sure of are all the people that are doing brisket at 300+ and say its turning out good.

post #12 of 18

I can't see any way on earth a whole packer's coming off the smoke in anywhere near 6 hours. Yeah, a 6 LB HOF in 6-ish hours is reasonable, but the shortest time span on a whole packer I've ever seen was 12 hours.

That said, I think you make a sound argument for a brisket cut, but I only smoke whole packers, and my experience says otherwise. Keep up the crusade, though; food needs revolutionaries!

post #13 of 18

 

 

Quote:
 I have had briskets done anywhere between 185° to 210° depending on the piece of meat, but I have learned to be patient and don't rush it.

  Well said Johnny

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by I is a moose View Post

I can't see any way on earth a whole packer's coming off the smoke in anywhere near 6 hours. Yeah, a 6 LB HOF in 6-ish hours is reasonable, but the shortest time span on a whole packer I've ever seen was 12 hours.

That said, I think you make a sound argument for a brisket cut, but I only smoke whole packers, and my experience says otherwise. Keep up the crusade, though; food needs revolutionaries!

 

LOL.... sorry Moose I had to laugh. I had a 12.5 lb. full packer finish in 10 hrs. one time - shocked the hell out of me! I probed it with three differant therms to make sure I wasn't getting a bad reading (or eyes were to blurry from the beer!). 52.gif
 

 

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post



 

LOL.... sorry Moose I had to laugh. I had a 12.5 lb. full packer finish in 10 hrs. one time - shocked the hell out of me! I probed it with three differant therms to make sure I wasn't getting a bad reading (or eyes were to blurry from the beer!). 52.gif
 

 



Ha! that's what happened to me with the that 12 hour packer! it was 17 something pounds, and I probed the snot out of the thing just making sure my eyes weren't being decieved.

It's awesome when your timetable's just spot-on, but confusing and frightening when it's done early!

 

post #16 of 18

I get a 12pk of my favorite beer whenever I smoke, and almost always my meat is usually done at the end of that 12pk. Be it brisket, ribs, chicken. It just seems to play out that way. lol. I prefer long low smokes so I can sit out back with my beer in one hand and tongs in the other.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





If you run that same brisket at 200°, low, slow, and steady using the same method you already do it will stay moist at 195°-200° internal temp. Had a friend point out something to me couple years back on brisket - water boils at 212°, so the higher temp. you run your brisket at the more liquids you boil/stem out of the meat as it cooks.

 

I personally live by the motto "It's done, when it's done", be that 10 hrs. or 20 hrs. I do two checks on my brisket starting at about 185° IT: 1) look at the internal temp, 2) poke it with a toothpick or fork. When the toothpick or fork can slide in like it's butter it is done.  I have had briskets done anywhere between 185° to 210° depending on the piece of meat, but I have learned to be patient and don't rush it.

 

I agree with Johnny...
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalk View Post

I get a 12pk of my favorite beer whenever I smoke, and almost always my meat is usually done at the end of that 12pk. Be it brisket, ribs, chicken. It just seems to play out that way. lol. I prefer long low smokes so I can sit out back with my beer in one hand and tongs in the other.

Cwalk, you must be an awful slow drinker...LOL
 

 

 

post #18 of 18

180 is not a guarantee for moisture or tenderness IMHO.  It depends on the brisket. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Brisket - There is no reason to cook over 8 hrs