Brand new here! Been reading lots of posts and finally wanted to post something and ask you seasoned smokers for some tips.
I recently got a used Performer and also picked up a smokenator along with it.
Now I have tried to smoke ribs twice on this but both times I have failed and had to resort in putting my semi-finished ribs into a dutch oven @ 280 - 300 and it ended up being super tender and yummy.
There is enough smokey flavor in the ribs but its still not at the falling off the bone phase yet.
My grilling session:
- I started the session @ 1:30PM
- Replenished the water and made sure I was getting a pretty decent dome temperature 220 ~ 240 throughout the whole session
- Wrapped the ribs in tin foil and added some beer to it @ 4:30PM
- Took it out of the tin foil @ 7PM
- Removed it from the grill at 8PM ( Ribs were still tough ).
I have cooked ribs with a gas grill before and I was able to get it falling off the bone in a matter of 4 - 5 hours.
I monitored the temperature of the dome by placing a wireless thermometer in the upper vents. My temperature is pretty constant throughout the entire smoking session - I am not sure what I am doing wrong....any one have any tips as to why this is happening?