I recently got a smoker and have been trying to teach myself how to smoke ribs. I have a masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker i believe it was called and cost around $150. I have smoked ribs twice now but both times I wasn't completely satisfied. Both times they seemed drier than I would like and I don't know why they are dry or what I can do to prevent this. I'm going to list out what I did and hopefully someone can point it out:
1) I marinated them overnight (at least 12 hours)
2) About an hour before smoking i put a rub on it and let it sit at room temp
3) At this time i also began so soak my mesquite chips
4)My smoker has a "flame disk bowl" that i put the chips in and also a water bowl that i put water on
5) I got the smoker going and put the ribs on.
6) The ribs were on the smoker for 4 hours and I kept it very close to 200 degrees the whole time. Everywhere I've read this seemed to be the recommended temp and time.
7) At about 3 hours i began to brush the sauce onto the ribs
Should I try less time on the smoker? Or bringing the temp even lower than 200?
I've never seen someone else smoke ribs before but I don't actually see too much smoke coming from the smoker is this normal or am i doing something wrong? It seems that I get a decent amount of smoke for the first hour or 2 maybe but then the smoking just kind of stops and I don't know why. Any advice on this as well?