SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › First Smoke... Chicken Bacon Bites... Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Smoke... Chicken Bacon Bites... Q-View

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

So, this weekend I had my first smoke.  I have the MES 40 and an AMS.  I had issues with flavor (Rub) and not enough smoke.  My AMS wasnt lighting correctly (mainly because I didnt have a butane lighter.)  Also, I was putting it on the bottom left of the smoker, is that a good spot? So I used a rub (made it on the fly) Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Brown Sugar, Crushed Red Pepper Flake, Paprika, Cayanne, Chili Powder, and Cumin.  I just mixed without any rhyme or reason in measuring.  The taste was a little "off".  No real smoke flaver due to the AMS issue.  275 for 45 min, then mopped with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce. 30 min longer, then I put them on a hot grill for a few min.  

I had such a great time smoking, I just wish the final product was better.  I think I have to get the AMS smoking good, and find a rub I like.  Ah well, I had a blast, and I'm learning! I forget where on the forum I got the recipe, but thanks to whoever it was! Beer can chicken was also going, Q-view on that coming up soon.

 

Bites 1.jpg

 

Rubbed, wrapped, and ready to smoke.

 

Bites 2.jpg

 

275 and starting to smoke

 

Bites 4.jpg

 

Sorry a little blurry. Just about done.

 

Bites 3.jpg

 

Finished product. 

Very fun time!

Any tips?

post #2 of 14



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittman View Post

So, this weekend I had my first smoke.  I have the MES 40 and an AMS.  I had issues with flavor (Rub) and not enough smoke.  My AMS wasnt lighting correctly (mainly because I didnt have a butane lighter.)  Also, I was putting it on the bottom left of the smoker, is that a good spot? So I used a rub (made it on the fly) Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Brown Sugar, Crushed Red Pepper Flake, Paprika, Cayanne, Chili Powder, and Cumin.  I just mixed without any rhyme or reason in measuring.  The taste was a little "off".  No real smoke flaver due to the AMS issue.  275 for 45 min, then mopped with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce. 30 min longer, then I put them on a hot grill for a few min.  

I had such a great time smoking, I just wish the final product was better.  I think I have to get the AMS smoking good, and find a rub I like.  Ah well, I had a blast, and I'm learning! I forget where on the forum I got the recipe, but thanks to whoever it was! Beer can chicken was also going, Q-view on that coming up soon.

 

 

What I do is I get it burning while I am getting other things ready and once it is going good I place it on the rods to the left of the heating element...

 

Food looks great.smilies-300.png

post #3 of 14

looks good from here. Your right you probably just need a rub you like ( jeff makes a great one ). Then you can get that MES real good & dirty!!

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys. Ill try Jeffs, he sells the recipe right?

post #5 of 14

Pics look good...Rome wasn't built in a day, keep up the good work.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittman View Post

Thanks guys. Ill try Jeffs, he sells the recipe right?


Here is the link to the page where you can purchase his rub and sauce.  http://www.smoking-meat.com/jeffs-naked-rib-rub-recipe-smf.html

 

I love the stuff.. Try it exactly like the recipe first before you change anything. I add a little more salt for my taste.....

BTW the chicken bites look great!

 

Jeff

 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

You're right cdot! 

 

Just ordered Jeff's, thanks all!  With the AMS, if I am smoking for like 2 hours, lets say a beer can chicken, should I fill the bottom of the AMS with about a 1/4 to 1/2 in, and light both ends really good?  It should be smouldering, not lit with a flame right? 

 

AMS tips would be a big help! 

post #8 of 14

When I light mine I blow it good until you see a good cherry coal glowing. If you are going for 2 hours of smoke, I would definitely light up both ends and let her go!! Make sure you fill up the rows and tamp it down on something solid to compact it good.  Also I put the dust I am getting ready to use into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute, mix it up and in for another minute to dry out any moisture before filling the maze.

 

Jeff

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Great! Thanks for the tips, cant wait to try!!!

post #10 of 14

The chicken bites look delicious! You just gotta get the inside of that smoker dirtied up a little!   icon_mrgreen.gif

post #11 of 14

Great lookin Chix!

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsly View Post

When I light mine I blow it good until you see a good cherry coal glowing. If you are going for 2 hours of smoke, I would definitely light up both ends and let her go!! Make sure you fill up the rows and tamp it down on something solid to compact it good.  Also I put the dust I am getting ready to use into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute, mix it up and in for another minute to dry out any moisture before filling the maze.

 

Jeff



What he said----Plus:

Fill them all but the top 1/8" or so. Don't try to guess how much length of rows you'll need. When you've had enough smoke, just take a spoon or screwdriver, or whatever & scrape the smoldering dust away from the unburned dust. It will stop & then you can save the rest for next time.

 

Bear

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

Very smart bear! Thanks for the tip, I'm going to do that!

post #14 of 14

You can also zap the wood dust in the microwave for a few seconds if your having trouble getting it lit. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › First Smoke... Chicken Bacon Bites... Q-View