G'day all from "down under"
Last night I tried my hand at smoking some chicken 1/4's but unfortunately I must have messed up somewhere
1) I brined the pieces for 4 hours using Jeffs basic brine recipe
2) Got my old BBQ (gas) fired up to about 300f and put on some chips of redgum (eucalyptus camaldulensis)
3) I got to my wispy blue smoke stage and added the chicken - I used some of Jeffs rub on the 1/4's, (forgot to put some oil on to start so did it at about 1/2 hour)
4) The unit was showing 280 - 300 f and after about 3 1/2 hours i tested for clear running juices as I had lost my probe thermometer. I thought the chicken looked quite ok, but as I started eating I found it to be a little too "rare" in the centre. (I finished it my kitchen oven).
5) I was a little disappointed with the lack of true smoky flavour - maybe the choice of wood ? or not enough smoke ?
6)In my cooker, the flame was at one end, and the chicken pieces at the other. The temp gauge at centre
I am thinking maybe the gauge was not true, as I would have thought 3 hours should be enough although the 6 pieces of chicken weighed about 6 lbs total
I have since obtained a probe thermometer, and will experiment a bit more
how it looked when i took it out of the smoker
Hoping for a few hints and tips
Best Regards to all