Greetings to all !!!! I am a total Newby to not only this forum but also to smoking !! I purchased a char griller a couple of weekends ago and found this forum which has been THE MOST HELPFUL !!! My husband and I tend to hang out in our backyard quite a bit, so now we will be smoking whatever we can find !!! Our first attempt at it included stuffed pork loin, chicken, and a flank steak. All turned out better than I ever expected. After researching the forum I purchased the rub recipe !!! While my husband may have been shocked as he!! at first that I PURCHASED a recipe I think we would both agree it was TOTALLY worth it !! We used it this past weekend on beef and pork country style ribs.... TOTALLY AWESOME !!!!!!!! During this last smoke session we also threw on some squash and sweet potatoes !! I must say, smoked sweet potatoes are some kind of fine !!!!!!!!!!!! On Sunday we decided to try some smoked burgers !!! Also a success !!! I threw in the makings for salsa and made a batch Monday morning !!! (yummy) Everything so far has turned out wayyyy better than I expected. I have you fine folks to thank as I have already learned lots from you !!!! I am still clueless and have LOTS to learn !! I am very thankful you guys are here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another Newby !!!!!!!!!!!!
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- 10,102 Posts. Joined 5/2007
- Location: Kansas City, KS
- Points: 36
- Select All Posts By This User
Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.
This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.
Many of our members have years of experience in smoking meat. They are more than happy helping Newbies learn the art.
We have members who cure there own Bacon, Hams, Jerky, Snack Sticks, Make Their own Sausage, etc. if you want to learn,
this is the place.
Don't be afraid to ask questions of them and follow their advice. You won't be sorry, you will be making great Q in no time at all...
Just remember, when curing your own meats follow the instructions included with the cure to the letter, this is not something to experiment with.
Never use more cure no mater if it is Tender Quick or Cure #1 or Cure #2 than the manufacturer says to use, this can be very dangerous.
Tender Quick and Cure#1 or Cure #2 are not interchangeable, neither Cure #1 interchangeable with Cure #2 or vise versa
Tips For New Members.
- Go into your profile and Under Location put where you are.
- City & State or Area & State will do. This will help members when answering your questions.
- Go to ROLL CALL thread and tell us a little about Yourself (A Name We Can Call You) and Experience & Equipment.
- Do Not Post your other questions and smokes in the Roll Call Forum.
- Post your questions and smokes in the Proper Forum, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Electric Smoker, Charcoal Smoker etc.
- Use the Wiki Section, many of our members have posted great tutorials and instructional threads so take advantage of them.
- When you can't find an answer ask plenty of questions, we have some highly experienced members willing to help you.
- When posting about your smokes be sure to post plenty of Qview (Pictures) Our Moto, "No Pics, Didn't Happen".
- Get a good Probe Thermometer, Don't Depend on the Built in Thermometer in your Smoker (They are notorious for being off).
- A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732
- Remember, We Always Cook by Temperature and NOT BY TIME...
- Sign up for Jeff's 5-Day eCourse. Click Here
- Don't Take Chances, Always Follow USDA Safety Guidelines When Handling Meat.
If you are wanting to get into curing meat, there are many members here more than happy to help and give good advice.
If you are unsure of a procedure ASK, don't ASSUME, It will make your Smoking experience much more pleasant...
- 7,288 Posts. Joined 7/2010
- Location: Fl
- Points: 69
- Select All Posts By This User
This site has tons of info.
I would suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.
Then use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!
The free E-Course is great!!
Have a great day!!!