SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › 1st Attempt @ Semi-Dry Salami (unstuffed): Q-View, Method, Basic Recipe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1st Attempt @ Semi-Dry Salami (unstuffed): Q-View, Method, Basic Recipe - Page 2

post #21 of 32

OH--Now ya did it !!!

 

Just blew out my salolithiasis again!!!

 

Thanks buddy!  I needed that !!

 

That BearView at the end was a killer!!!!

 

Thanks a lot Eric!

 

Bear

post #22 of 32

That will work for me.  Off to doing some research.  Thanks for posting.

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Slices!, slices!, slices!!!!!!!!

 

popcorn.gif

 

These are even looking better now than earlier.

 

Thanks for putting the ruler on---It was hard to tell how big they were!

 

Kinda like seeing one deer or one bear a ways off in the woods, without anything to compare to.

 

Thanks for a great thread---Again!

 

 

Bear


LMAO! I figured a ruler would be a good way to depict the actual sectional density and length for someone who may want to try this. Rulers don't lie, either..."man, that thing was soo huge it would cover a platter"...yeah, OK, buddy...show me...LOL!!!
 

Been a pleasure doin' smoke with ya, Bear!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotarace View Post

Wow what a ride Eric...As always your posts are some of the finest most detailed here!!! You hit a home run again!!!! Looking forward to the sliced photo's...drool.gif


Thanks, yea, I'm all for details when possible and if trying someone out of the ordinary. This project was a ground-breaker, as I was sort of flying by instruments only, so to speak. I would have never guessed there would be little to no info on the net or SMF for this method or a similar method for drying/smoking salami. So I wanted to be sure I covered as much info as possible. Bearcrver's smoked dried beef gave me some additional insight to get things rolling, so that was a big help.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couger78 View Post



Indeed. It's like looking at wrapped package on Christmas morning awaiting to see what lurks within!

 

nice job on the smoke & photos!

 

Kevin

 

Thanks, yea, I don't like to stretch these htreads out like this...seems like a teaser, but it's not intended to be...short of spending 1/2 the day posting when the smoke clears, there's just not much else a guy can do. I do enjoy reading how it becomes sheer torture for you guys though...LOL!!! It's all good fun, and that's what makes it even better.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post

Thats what i'm talkin bout willis

 

 

Nice



Different strokes for different folks...ha-ha! Thanks!

 

 

post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post

That will work for me.  Off to doing some research.  Thanks for posting.

 

Good luck and good smoking.



Thanks, if you're a sausage enthusiast, this one will give you a bit of a new challenge or two along the way...nothing too serious, but, that long ride in the drying/smoking can keep ya guessing now and then.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

OH--Now ya did it !!!

 

Just blew out my salolithiasis again!!!

 

Thanks buddy!  I needed that !!

 

That BearView at the end was a killer!!!!

 

Thanks a lot Eric!

 

Bear



HA! Dang, I had to think about this one for a few minutes! Let me know how the surgery goes, and don't forget, they give you ice cream and jello after any invasive procedures involving the throat. Crap! No salami for you for awhile...he-he-he!!!! Now that would truely ruin a guy's day...er...week.

 

I had a ton of pics on the cutting board, but most were fuzzy, too much reflection, etc. Camera operator and camera were not on the same page for some funky reason...ah, I didn't check my lens for smudges lately and it's been handled by the kids a few times recently...that may be the problem.. I held onto what was good to go for the show and ditched the rest.

 


Man, I'm gettin' rummy again...LOL!!! Time for those eyelid inspections.

 

Fun ride, all the way to the end! Glad to be able to share it, and most importantly, glad you all liked it!

 

Eric

post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by forluvofsmoke View Post

 

 

HA! Dang, I had to think about this one for a few minutes! Let me know how the surgery goes, and don't forget, they give you ice cream and jello after any invasive procedures involving the throat. Crap! No salami for you for awhile...he-he-he!!!! Now that would truely ruin a guy's day...er...week.

 


LOL----Salolithiasis is blockage of a salivary gland. I had it a couple times, years ago. The whole left side of my cheek, in front of, and below my ear swelled up, and I got a fever.

Went to ER. The Dr told me to go to the Drug Store, and get some real sour candy, and pop a couple of them. I did that, and it grew bigger & bigger & bigger, and all of a sudden my mouth started to get an excess of moisture, and the swelling went down. It happened a few times, over the next year or two. Nobody I know ever heard of it before. The Dr said it's not genetic, but a couple years later my brother had it really bad, and my Son has had it twice in the last couple years. If it's not genetic, that sure is one Helluva coincidence!!!

I haven't had that problem since I joined this Forum, thanks to you & others!!!

You guys help keep my salivary glands functioning properly, although it's hard on my keyboard!  PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

 

Bear

 

post #26 of 32

Man that was some process and it looks like it came out like everything you make - awesome. Congrats on another great tutorial. I just wish I could get my smoker to those temps. Thanks for sharing

post #27 of 32

this is money first.gif

post #28 of 32

Great looking salami....... 28 hrs is a long time but it sure paid off......................icon14.gif

post #29 of 32

Awesome! I'm 'virtually' tasting it....mmmmm.  

post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gersus View Post

Awesome! I'm 'virtually' tasting it....mmmmm.  

Ha-ha! I keep looking for that PM smoke delivery upgrade so we can send somed grub out to all our buddies, but I think that upgrade may be awhile to develop.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




LOL----Salolithiasis is blockage of a salivary gland. I had it a couple times, years ago. The whole left side of my cheek, in front of, and below my ear swelled up, and I got a fever.

Went to ER. The Dr told me to go to the Drug Store, and get some real sour candy, and pop a couple of them. I did that, and it grew bigger & bigger & bigger, and all of a sudden my mouth started to get an excess of moisture, and the swelling went down. It happened a few times, over the next year or two. Nobody I know ever heard of it before. The Dr said it's not genetic, but a couple years later my brother had it really bad, and my Son has had it twice in the last couple years. If it's not genetic, that sure is one Helluva coincidence!!!

I haven't had that problem since I joined this Forum, thanks to you & others!!!

You guys help keep my salivary glands functioning properly, although it's hard on my keyboard!  PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

 

Bear

 

Dang, you're right, I've never heard of it. Here I thought you were playing on words somehow...fooled the daylights otta me! Well, if the drool-view helped, then maybe I need to post more often!

 

Ah, come on, Bear...you know better than to leave a keyboard out in the open when you click on my threads...LOL!!!!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by africanmeat View Post

this is money first.gif



Yea, buddy! Literally! My daughter teased her co-workers and supervisor with a few pieces last night, then let 'em all taste it...they didn't know what to make of it...never had anything like before. Store-bought lunch meats aren't even in the same class as home-made, this is no exception. They loved it. My wife stopped by the bank today with some on hand and went inside to give some to her friends...same reaction, except one of them said I should start my own business. Ah, I've heard that before, for a couple years now...maybe some day, just not ready for that yet.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbelly View Post

Man that was some process and it looks like it came out like everything you make - awesome. Congrats on another great tutorial. I just wish I could get my smoker to those temps. Thanks for sharing


Yea, it got a bit complicated once I was estimating moisture loss and what it would take to bring it about. Thanks, hey, if you're smoker's too hot and you don't have something handy laying around to help bring the temps down lower, you may want to hold on for a bit...well maybe you'd want to try it anyway. The reason I mentioned holding off is that I just jotted down a few ideas on how to make this come out even better than it did, on top of what I mentioned in closing remarks. It may require some simple gadgets which I have on hand already, so I'm going to try and work out the details before my next round, and probably fire up the SV24 and see how it handles it. It's a smoke chamber humidity issue that I need to overcome...not enough during the initial drying stage, that is. I'll work on it, though.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by boykjo View Post

Great looking salami....... 28 hrs is a long time but it sure paid off......................icon14.gif


Thanks, yea, 28 hours was a long haul for sure...longest I've ever had a piece of meat laying in a smoker. This was some pretty interesting eating for sure, but I'm already working up some equipment/procedural changes to hopefully shorten that drying time and get it drier than this first round. OK, I'm gonna have to go do something else now to get my mind off of this project, or else I won't get any sleep tonight...(truthfully, if I have a fix to work on, that's the last thing on my mind when I hit the sheets at night)...LOL! I'll have time to figure it out...3 more days at work...wife was talking about grabbing some ground beef from the store, 'cuz she wants more of this stuff. Well, everyone who's had some want's more. I may be curing up 10+ lbs before the weekend. We'll see.

 

Thanks all!

 

Eric

post #31 of 32

smilies-195.png

post #32 of 32

LOVE it!! Congrats on a gorgeous smoke!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › 1st Attempt @ Semi-Dry Salami (unstuffed): Q-View, Method, Basic Recipe