SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Jalapeno Snack Stick Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jalapeno Snack Stick Q-View - Page 2

post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 

I am going to try boiling next batch and see how that works.  thanks

post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 

Do you bring the sticks to a certain internal temp then pull and boil?  Or do you just smoke for a couple hours, pull no matter what the temp and then boil?  I am going to make some deer sticks this week and try boiling them.  

post #23 of 30

I don't try to cook the sausage in the smoker, the concept is just to 1, dry the casing in the smoker, 2, smoke the sausage.  Whenever you feel the sausage has enough smoke, start boiling your pot (I use a big crab pot to cook 5 pounds at once).  Then when boiling, pull your sausage from the smoker and place in the boiling water.  Let boil maybe a couple minutes (water will probably stop boiling when you place 5 pounds of cooler sausage in the water).  Then turn off the heat and let cook in the water for an additional 5 minutes or so.

 

The direct answer: yes I am not concerned about the internal temp at all.

 

Caveat:  I have been using hot dog diameter casing.  For the 32mm+ casing, I would probably increase the time in the water a bit.

post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherFamily View Post

I don't try to cook the sausage in the smoker, the concept is just to 1, dry the casing in the smoker, 2, smoke the sausage.  Whenever you feel the sausage has enough smoke, start boiling your pot (I use a big crab pot to cook 5 pounds at once).  Then when boiling, pull your sausage from the smoker and place in the boiling water.  Let boil maybe a couple minutes (water will probably stop boiling when you place 5 pounds of cooler sausage in the water).  Then turn off the heat and let cook in the water for an additional 5 minutes or so.

 

The direct answer: yes I am not concerned about the internal temp at all.

 

Caveat:  I have been using hot dog diameter casing.  For the 32mm+ casing, I would probably increase the time in the water a bit.


I like the idea.

Do you have any pictures of any you did, to see what they look like after boiling?

Do they shrink some after they dry out?

 

Thanks,

Bear

 

post #25 of 30

I was under the impression that sausage is considered cooked with an IT at around 160+°F and that fats starts to melt (run out) at around 110°

 

With water boiling around 212° (versus a warm poach of about 160°), wouldn't a 'boil' be detrimental to the overall quality of the sausage/sticks?

 

That was the whole premise behind guys using a turkey roaster 160° water-bath & the like to 'finish' the links/sausage by bringing them up to temp post-smoke, then dropping 'em into an ice bath & then hang to bloom.


Edited by Couger78 - 5/24/11 at 5:02pm
post #26 of 30

I've been doing the water bath @ 170° and it will speed up the cooking time and dryout the sausage less.

I'll also pull them at 152°-154° internal.

post #27 of 30

Shrinkage???icon_redface.gif

 

 

TJ

No Creosote! A-Maze-N Smokers

Reply
post #28 of 30

No, there is no shrinkage after.  Do the same thing, pull out of water, rinse with cold water to decrease internal temp, and hang to bloom.  I smoked this kielbasa last saturday in hot dog size casing because it was all I had.  This is only 2 hours of smoke and hung for 45 minutes.  I didn't want too much smoke flavor.  My mom isn't a huge smoke flavor fan.

 

As DanMcG stated above, you will notice a huge difference in the casing texture.

kielbasa.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




I like the idea.

Do you have any pictures of any you did, to see what they look like after boiling?

Do they shrink some after they dry out?

 

Thanks,

Bear

 



 

post #29 of 30


I agree, I cook my sausage to 160.  I can't say what internal temp fat runs out, but I agree, it does before it is done cooking most of the time.

 

As to the 212 being detrimental, remember the thermodynamic of it. The water will cool quickly and the heat transfer to the center is slow. 

 

I know you say you do not like boiled sausage (green eggs and ham) but try it, try it, and you will see!  On a boat, with a goat even.

 

-Think about cooking hotdogs.  This is exactly how you do it. boil water, turn off heat, put in sausage, pull out after 6 minutes.  Just try a small batch and you will see! Not to mention how much easier it is to not have to wonder "is it fully cooked yet, will someone get sick, should I keep smoking it?".  All you have to worry about is if you think it has enough smoke. Then when it does, finish in water and have no further worries.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couger78 View Post

I was under the impression that sausage is considered cooked with an IT at around 160+°F and that fats starts to melt (run out) at around 110°

 

With water boiling around 212° (versus a warm poach of about 160°), wouldn't a 'boil' be detrimental to the overall quality of the sausage/sticks?

 

That was the whole premise behind guys using a turkey roaster 160° water-bath & the like to 'finish' the links/sausage by bringing them up to temp post-smoke, then dropping 'em into an ice bath & then hang to bloom.



 

post #30 of 30

Yeah, that is why I use the boiling method, I can't afford shrinkage! icon_wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post

Shrinkage???icon_redface.gif

 

 

TJ



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Jalapeno Snack Stick Q-View