or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP!!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Just about to start my very first smoke in my 30" MES.  My question is should I put water in the water pan, I am smoking 4lbs of Hi Mountain Snackin sticks. help.gif

post #2 of 14

I don't usually use a water pan when I am making sticks but I have never used  a MES either.

post #3 of 14

I would put water in the pan.  If you line the pan with foil, you will add a lot of life to the pan also.

post #4 of 14

I never made Hi Mt Snack Sticks, but I never put water in my pan when making my unstuffed Beef sticks, and they turn out just right. I think a lot has to do with the amount of time you take to get them to your target, and how thick they are. If you smoke for a whole lot of hours, at a low temp, you might want to add water, but if you're keeping it under 8 hours, you shouldn't need it. IMO

 

Doesn't Hi Mt say anything about it in their directions?

 

 

Bear

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

I never made Hi Mt Snack Sticks, but I never put water in my pan when making my unstuffed Beef sticks, and they turn out just right. I think a lot has to do with the amount of time you take to get them to your target, and how thick they are. If you smoke for a whole lot of hours, at a low temp, you might want to add water, but if you're keeping it under 8 hours, you shouldn't need it. IMO

 

Doesn't Hi Mt say anything about it in their directions?

 

 

Bear



they just say 1 1/2 to 2 hours with smoke on and then until IT reaches 165F DO NOT OVER SMOKE

 

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBombersfan View Post


they just say 1 1/2 to 2 hours with smoke on and then until IT reaches 165F DO NOT OVER SMOKE

 


At what Temp?

 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

200F sorry I forgot that info

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBombersfan View Post

200F sorry I forgot that info


Then I would definitely NOT put water in the pan. They'll be done quick enough to not get too dry (or in English---They'll be moist enough without water in the pan).

However---Cover your pan with foil, and put it in place while smoking. It should always be in place.

 

Bear

 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




Then I would definitely NOT put water in the pan. They'll be done quick enough to not get too dry (or in English---They'll be moist enough without water in the pan).

However---Cover your pan with foil, and put it in place while smoking. It should always be in place.

 

Bear

 



Thanks very much for your help,  would you suggest a different cook temp?  little lower and slower?

 

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBombersfan View Post


Thanks very much for your help,  would you suggest a different cook temp?  little lower and slower?

 

Probably not for those.

I'm guessing they're pretty thin, like maybe 3/8" to 1/2". If you used a lower temp, you'd have to smoke them longer to get to 160˚/165˚. Then they could get dry or hard.

 

If they were 3/4" to 1" or more in thickness, I'd do them lower (140˚ to 160˚) for awhile (4 or 5 hours), and then take it to 190˚ or 200˚ to get them to 160˚/165˚. This is just what I would do---Others may differ.

 

Bear 
 

 

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post



Probably not for those.

I'm guessing they're pretty thin, like maybe 3/8" to 1/2". If you used a lower temp, you'd have to smoke them longer to get to 160˚/165˚. Then they could get dry or hard.

 

If they were 3/4" to 1" or more in thickness, I'd do them lower (140˚ to 160˚) for awhile (4 or 5 hours), and then take it to 190˚ or 200˚ to get them to 160˚/165˚. This is just what I would do---Others may differ.

 

Bear 
 

 



Thansk for the help Bear!  I appreciate it!

 

post #12 of 14

Bear is right...Your snack sticks have lots of water in them anyways, so I would not use water in the pan either.

 

The water pan is used for moisture, heat sink and also a heat deflector in a MES.  I suggest you use it, but don't use any water.  Your snack sticks should get to temp pretty quickly, especially if you don't open the door to peek!!

 

Are you hanging your sticks or laying them on the racks?

 

Here's a pic of my EZ Sausage Rack

Sausage Racks 015.jpg

 

Todd

 

No Creosote! A-Maze-N Smokers

Reply
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post

Bear is right...Your snack sticks have lots of water in them anyways, so I would not use water in the pan either.

 

The water pan is used for moisture, heat sink and also a heat deflector in a MES.  I suggest you use it, but don't use any water.  Your snack sticks should get to temp pretty quickly, especially if you don't open the door to peek!!

 

Are you hanging your sticks or laying them on the racks?

 

Here's a pic of my EZ Sausage Rack

Sausage Racks 015.jpg

 

Todd

 



They are laying on the racks.  Your right about the temp they are shooting up pretty quick.

 

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post

Bear is right...Your snack sticks have lots of water in them anyways, so I would not use water in the pan either.

 

The water pan is used for moisture, heat sink and also a heat deflector in a MES.  I suggest you use it, but don't use any water.  Your snack sticks should get to temp pretty quickly, especially if you don't open the door to peek!!

 

Are you hanging your sticks or laying them on the racks?

 

Here's a pic of my EZ Sausage Rack

Sausage Racks 015.jpg

 

Todd

 


 

 

Do you get a more even temp when you hang your sticks? 
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers