Thanks to everyone here for my return to making sausage.
My first and last attempt was about 15 yrs ago. Making sausage using a mixer/grinder/stuffer combination was frustrating, to say the least. Now I have a new smoker,and verticle stuffer. Also I have a new grinder since I blew up my wifes KitchenAid mixer. I have parts ordered but I won't be using it again no matter what.
I picked up a 2 pack of pork shoulders the other day. It was a really good deal. One is for BBB that will be posted later and one is for andouille.
The pork shoulders:
Ready to debone:
Deboning the first shoulder, I was a little tenative trying to figure out where the bone laid. I used that one for sausage. Deboning the second shoulder went fairly well until I realized the bone was different on the other leg. Still, it went better than the first. That one will be butterflied for the BBB.
The shoulder blades for those interested. This pic may help in your deboning attempt.
I removed all the fat from the meat as I was cutting it up and the silverskin and sinew. The meat was cut into 1" chunks or so. The fat frozen. Additional fat taken from bacon ends and pieces was added. I ground the fat thru a 1/8" plate and added to the cubed pork. Added seasonings, cure and soy protein. Mixed and recooled.
Using my NEW verticle stuffer, I filled the casings.
Let me say this again. The verticle stuffer is worth it's weight in gold, so to speak, when recalling stuffing using a grinder with tubes.
Stuffing sausage casings is now FUN compared to using the grinder and tubes. I am so pleased I could just .
Fortunatly, I did not prepare enough casings for the amount of meat I had prepared and had to have sausage patties for breakfast the next morning. I will make that mistake again.
The casings stuffed.
After about 8hrs smoke using alder to 165*.
They came out pretty good.
The SNAP from the natural casing adds another dimension to the flavor profile.
The packaged spices left something to be desired. I will ponder the additions needed over a link and cold beer.
I added the soy protein according to the directions. It was too much. That will be adjusted also.
All in all, I am pleased with the results. Next batch will be different and hopefully more to my liking.
Now, experimenting with making sausages is something I am looking forward to doing.
Thanks to all of the folks here AGAIN for rekindling the smoking bug.