SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › any input on this salmon would be greatly appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

any input on this salmon would be greatly appreciated. - Page 2

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post





I plan on tryiing yours Ross...sounds good as well as fairly simple and with good reviews


The brine/rub I use is 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar and 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt.

This amount is enough for about one nice fillet. Coat both sides with rub and cover in glad wrap for around 12 hours.

post #22 of 36

I'm usually doing several pieces so I will put down my glad wrap then put 1/3 of the rub down then lay a fillet of fish down now sprinkle another 1/3 of the rub on top of that fillet then lay your second fillet on top of that then sprinkle the final 1/3 on top of the second fillet. This way all sides of the fillets get the rub. Cover the heck out of them as they like to leak. I will usually flip them over about half way through because the juices like to settle to the bottom of the glad wrap.

Rinse the meat off the next day and pat dry with a paper towel. Then apply a small amount of brown sugar, garlic powder and rub it into the meat a bit. Then sprinkle the top with brown pepper and let them sit to dry a bit. Some people let them sit over night in the fridge like this but I will usually let them sit for an hour or so and also some times I will blow a fan on them. Then its off to the smoker for usually around 4-5 hours at around 150-175 degrees until the fish reaches an internal temp of 145.

I suggest spraying your grates to help keep the fish from sticking. I have separate grates I use now for my fish and then just put them on top of the grates that are in my smoker that way they don't stick to the smoker grates.

Good luck.

post #23 of 36

Here are my salmon fillets drying a bit.

DSC00443.jpg

 

Here they are on the smoker.

DSC00446.jpg

 

And here they are all done.

DSC00442-2.jpg

post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post

Here are my salmon fillets drying a bit.

DSC00443.jpg

 

Here they are on the smoker.

DSC00446.jpg

 

And here they are all done.

DSC00442-2.jpg


Thanks for the info Ross.....question, would you say at that temp and times it would be fine for plating for dinner? or do they come out more like a jerked snack?
 

post #25 of 36

My question is the same as Willie's. I usually smoke mine at a higher heat for less time.

 

"Thanks for the info Ross.....question, would you say at that temp and times it would be fine for plating for dinner? or do they come out more like a jerked snack?"

 

Wish you would have cut one open so we could see the texture.

post #26 of 36

When I do them like that I am eating them more for a snack. We pull out a fillet and eat it on crackers or put it in a dip. Its definitely a different texture then when I would bake it at a higher temp to eat for a main course meal. I guess you could eat them for a meal but this way is a little more of a sweet treat. It is very tender and pulls apart very easy so it would probably work either way. If I was eating it for a meal I would probably go a little hotter and shorter time.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post

When I do them like that I am eating them more for a snack. We pull out a fillet and eat it on crackers or put it in a dip. Its definitely a different texture then when I would bake it at a higher temp to eat for a main course meal. I guess you could eat them for a meal but this way is a little more of a sweet treat. It is very tender and pulls apart very easy so it would probably work either way. If I was eating it for a meal I would probably go a little hotter and shorter time.



Thanks for clearing that up...I mean, they look great as is but I was thinking in more of an entree than a snack. Think Al answered the question as well, higher heat and less time for a plating. The ones you showed look they would be great though snacked on with a cold beer.

post #28 of 36
Thread Starter 

i have to agree, for me and a very first shot at this piece of salmon tomorrow that ross seems to have the easiest recipe. i want to try them all also. they all sound awesome but for a first timer i want to keep it simple and sweet. i wish now that we had a second fillet because the olive oil coating is my second choice. thanks again, you guys rock for sharing all your years of knowledge. its a great education for a newbie.

post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post





Thanks for clearing that up...I mean, they look great as is but I was thinking in more of an entree than a snack. Think Al answered the question as well, higher heat and less time for a plating. The ones you showed look they would be great though snacked on with a cold beer.

 

You got that exactly right Chef Willie, and if I could add, I think the great looking Salmon Ross made would be in between the kind for dinner (hotter & faster), and the Salmon I make, which is even harder smoked (much longer) than Ross's.

 

That's one of the great things about this forum. You can find all kinds of methods that have already been done.

 

Bear
 

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post



 

You got that exactly right Chef Willie, and if I could add, I think the great looking Salmon Ross made would be in between the kind for dinner (hotter & faster), and the Salmon I make, which is even harder smoked (much longer) than Ross's.

 

That's one of the great things about this forum. You can find all kinds of methods that have already been done.

 

Bear
 



I'd have to agree with ya on this forum.....my brain spins with new ideas to do/try after being on here. Little bit longer and we're looking at salmon jerky I suppose? 

post #31 of 36
Thread Starter 

DSCN1265.JPG

 

 

DSCN1266.JPG

 

 

i went and bought two more pounds today with skin on it. i put the skin salmon in with just the olive oil. the family liked the plain olive oil more than the sugar coated salmon.  now i know. i had them in for 4 hours until we lost power for 2 hours. glad it wasnt a pork shoulder. the salmon made it. wonderful.  thanks guys. tomorrow its two chickens and some venison sausage.

 

 

DSCN1267.JPG

post #32 of 36

Looks Beautiful!!!

 

Bear

post #33 of 36

Excellent job on that salmon! Looks mighty tasty!

post #34 of 36
Thread Starter 

it was awesome today chopped up in cream cheese and put on crackers. yum yum.

post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomep View Post

it was awesome today chopped up in cream cheese and put on crackers. yum yum.



Yea I like it that way too, even add a little mayo to thin it out. It makes the best smoked salmon dip I have ever had.

post #36 of 36
Thread Starter 

thanks for the mayo tip. i just added some to what we had left. very nice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › any input on this salmon would be greatly appreciated.