Originally Posted by alblancher
I don't put thermos in my fridge when curing. 36 is the temp the cures slow down. They continue to work it's just that as they get closer to and below freezing liquids don't work very well and the cure is not transported through the meat. I don't think my fridge is much below 40 degrees but it probably close to 37 or 38.
I should probably restate the over 40 degree remark. Most recipes I read recommend between 35 and 42 degrees when using Cure 1. If using Cure 2 you can cure at higher temps (even room temps) if recommended by the recipe. Thanks for catching that Bear
I've learned not to guess when speaking about cures. There is a good bit of flexibility built into cure procedures and concentrations but the closer you stay to recommended procedures the better. I figure the little mistakes I make are not a big problem if I am well inside the guidelines.
No problemo Al,
I know about the cure #2 temps being higher, but i caught this because hearing or reading the word "Bacon" makes all my senses more alert.
Different books say different things. Rytek Kutas says 38˚ to 40˚ most places, and 35˚ to 40˚ at one place. some say 34˚ to 40˚, like I learned on this forum.
That's where I got 36˚ to 38˚---Dead center of 34˚ to 40˚. Mine is on 37˚ about 90% of the time, straying to 36˚ or 38˚ the other 10%.
I think over a year ago, I used a Hi Mt cure, and it had a temp over 40˚ in their instructions.
That was the only one I ever saw like that.
I was already used to 36˚ to 38˚, so I asked the Pros on this forum if I should follow the Hi Mt temp, or the 36˚ to 38˚ that I learned here & elsewhere.
They all said to stay between 34˚ and 40˚.
BTW: Thanks Bob (bbally).