Well I was real nervous but not too much. I started my saturday shopping for a 4 pound whole chicken. I found two from Publix. I took them home and prepared my Brine. I never brined before either so it was a first. I used ( Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine) I got here and it turned out perfect.
- I put in refridgerator for 10 hours overnight. I got up and mixed my rub ( Shooters Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub) that I got here to....This is a great resource.
- Next I let set in the fridge again for 8 hours and prepared the smoker. I have a 40" MES Electric smoker. It took so long to get the temperature up to 250. I did season the smoker the day before if anyone was wondering. I did use boiling water in the water pan and a handfull of chips. It took about an hour to get the temp up to 250F. I think that is way too much time.
- I am also using the Dual Probe Redi Check Smoker ET-73 for cooking.
- Finally got temp up and put chicken in smoker. It took exactly 3 hours to get the food temp to 170F.
- I did have a hard time keeping the temp steady. But was able to achieve between 250F and 270F. I am still learning how to keep a steady temp. Any tips would help.
- I also used a lot of chips. I don't know how to tell if I have too much or too little smoke. Since it was dark. I could not tell if the smoke color was correct either.
- I used Maple wood chips throughout the cooking time.
Overall. I believe I achieved the end result of two great looking and tasting chickens.....A little tasty on the smoke side but was very juicy and perfect. If you all have some tips for next time smoking that would be great........Especially smoke volume. Here is the pictures before and after.