SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › 12 degrees nothing for FLO AKA (WSM)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

12 degrees nothing for FLO AKA (WSM)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

 

Well it was only 17 degrees in the sun today but couldn't help it had to do some smoking. I put in a 4 pound beef roast and some elk steak.  pic's are not the best still waiting on my camera charger to get here.. sorry for the pic's had to use cell phone.

 

here is a shot of the temp before i started FLO (WSM) this was in the sun it was more like -10 out.

 

temp.JPG

 

started FLO with the minion method.. using cherry.

minon.JPG

 

letting the smoker come up to temp and i did use water in the water pan few days before this I did a test it was about the same temp outside and i found i could control my temp better with water in the pan even with it that cold out.

winter somke.JPG

 

meat was on for about  an  hour time to give it a nice spritz of sweet tea mix with baby ray BBQ sauce.

roast elk.JPG

 

here is the roast sliced

top roast.JPG

 

 

This was only my 2nd smoke on the WSM and it was just a joy to use. The cold weather didn't really make it hard to control ounce i got the sweet spot it just held there. The meat turned out good the beef roast was real good and juicy and tender.. The elk had good taste  but it was on the dry side the  wife likes  it well done so had to leave it on longer than i wanted to but was still  good. 

 

Pulled the beef of the smoke when it hit 140F put in foil and let rest for about 45 min's

 

the elk i pulled at 150F foil and rest.

 

cooking temp 230F

 

Thanks for looking


Edited by tyotrain - 1/22/11 at 4:00pm
post #2 of 14

Looks like a great day of smoking there. MY smoker is going as well in this cold weather (-17) but like you said if you have some good equipment its just as easy to smoke in the cold as in the warmth its just not as fun as you don't get to sit outside by the smoker. Great looking meat there. Yea your elk would have been much more juicy if you were able to pull it off at around 135-140 but you have to make mama happy if you want to stay happy. haha Sounds like you are loving the new WSM smoker. 

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post

Looks like a great day of smoking there. MY smoker is going as well in this cold weather (-17) but like you said if you have some good equipment its just as easy to smoke in the cold as in the warmth its just not as fun as you don't get to sit outside by the smoker. Great looking meat there. Yea your elk would have been much more juicy if you were able to pull it off at around 135-140 but you have to make mama happy if you want to stay happy. haha Sounds like you are loving the new WSM smoker. 



Thanks rbranstner and yes i am loving this WSM best smoker i have ever ran. I can't wait for it to warm up so i can hook up the BBQ guru to it..

I hope your pork turns out good i am sure it will and don't feel bad for miss reading the label i have done the same thing before and sure many people have.

post #4 of 14

Good lookin stuff. I love to watch you guys smoke food in the arctic like that.

post #5 of 14

Looks great but I'll stay in Fl where it doesn't have that funny white stuff on the ground biggrin.gif

post #6 of 14

good looking smoke!! i'm going to try to smoke some bb's tomorrow with my duo...its only calling for a high of 8 degrees !!! and with the wind chill it will be much colder! never tried to smoke in this cold of weather but i'll give it a try!

post #7 of 14
Nice looking roast!!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3176 View Post

good looking smoke!! i'm going to try to smoke some bb's tomorrow with my duo...its only calling for a high of 8 degrees !!! and with the wind chill it will be much colder! never tried to smoke in this cold of weather but i'll give it a try!


 

les the cold don't seem to effected the smoking to much but the wind will kill ya.. If you can get a good wind block you should be ok.

post #9 of 14

icon_cool.gif

Yes your beef look great and that stuff on the ground is what now??? Here in north Florida on the other side from Jerry where it's going to be 25° tonight. We maybe could have some of that white stuff. But I think that I would reather have some of the beef stuff myself.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3176 View Post

good looking smoke!! i'm going to try to smoke some bb's tomorrow with my duo...its only calling for a high of 8 degrees !!! and with the wind chill it will be much colder! never tried to smoke in this cold of weather but i'll give it a try!


 

les the cold don't seem to effected the smoking to much but the wind will kill ya.. If you can get a good wind block you should be ok.



Yeah... the wind is the killer.

 

Tyo - great looking smoke! Glad the WSM is treating you well. biggrin.gif Once the summer hits I suggest you try it without the BBQ guru first.... in warm weather the WSM will go an incredibly long time on one full ring. I have gone 20+ hrs. at 210° on my lid therm.

post #11 of 14

Looking good!

post #12 of 14

Looks Delicious...

post #13 of 14

I'm with Piney on this one.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post

Looks great but I'll stay in Fl where it doesn't have that funny white stuff on the ground biggrin.gif

post #14 of 14

Very nice looking meat! I have a couple of questions for ya.

 

1. Does using the coffee can in the center add any extra benefits than just dumping a chimney of lit on top of unlit for Minion?

 

2. this is prob a dumb question but I see a lot of people with their probes through potatoes and such...what is the purpose of that?

 

Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › 12 degrees nothing for FLO AKA (WSM)