or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › Meat to Fat Ratio calculator?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meat to Fat Ratio calculator?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Does anybody out there have a spreadsheet or something to help me figure out my meat to fat ratio when making burger or sausage. My math skills suck but I am good at using caclulators. I could probably make one but it is easier just to get one from someone else. Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 9

icon_cool.gif

Well if you had 1pound of meat (16oz) nd you wanted 15% fat to meat thats 2.4 oz of fat to meat. Now I haven't seen a scale or speadsheet on the matters. When I made sausage I use 15 or 20% fat to meat.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

I was just thinking a spreadsheet that if I plug in the amount of venison I have, and the fat ratio I am after, it would give me the amount of fat I need to add to achieve that. I realize it is easy math but I just took out 14lbs of venison from the freezer and couldn't figure out how much fat....I came close and took out 3 lbs of fat, I was close but not on the button.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

I normally make my sausage with 30% pork and 60% venison. And it works out good but it would be nice to calculate the fat content a little better. Maybe I am getting too scientific but that is who I am I guess.

post #5 of 9

14lbs X 30% = 4.2lbs of fat...

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_junkie View Post

I normally make my sausage with 30% pork and 60% venison. And it works out good but it would be nice to calculate the fat content a little better. Maybe I am getting too scientific but that is who I am I guess.


Okay, that's 90% what is the other 10%?

post #7 of 9

If you change the percentage of fat you want to a decimal then you just have to multiply it by the number of pounds of meat you have.

 

15% = 0.15

 

0.15 x 14 = 2.1 lbs of fat

 

20% = 0.20

 

0.20 x 14 = 2.8 lbs. fat.

 

Just plug in your percentage as a decimal and multiply and you can do any amount you want. wink.gif

post #8 of 9

 

What you are looking for is called Pearson's Square. Below is a link that allows you to input the values and it calculates what you need for each fat source. You will need to know approximate fat content of your two meat blocks and what your target % fat is.

 

http://prechel.net/formula/pearson.htm

post #9 of 9

Thanks for the link Baboy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › Meat to Fat Ratio calculator?