Guess I am looking for some input from experienced smokers. Seems there is still a lot of debate if an electric smoker can impart the same flavors as charcoal. I also have a few other questions regarding preferences.
1. does anyone smoke with 100% mesquite? I understand non-seasoned wood can give a bitter flavor at times. I like the very aggressive odor from it but wondering if it could get over powering in certain meats and especially poultry and fish....
2. What is the preferred wood for cold smoking cheese? I want to say hickory or mosquite for that and something about the sweeter woods giving on off flavor??
3. Has anyone tweaked their MES to heat the wood better and roll the smoke better? Seems a little lacking and would not mind adding a little more wood or maybe I am just asking for an overpowered smoke flavor?
4. How do you guys run your vent choke? I hear differing opinions on this because with electric, you gotta have the element red to get smoke for the most part so retaining all the heat might deprive the smoke roll. In testing tonight, I think the smoke will stay in regardless and probably just waste smoke/power with the vent open more.
5. what woods do you guys like for aggressive smoke flavor in beef and pork? I know there is a ton of woods out there. my brother really likes oak but I am more aggressive so I want more than a hint of flavor there.
6. For you guys that brine, what meats do you brine and how long? what is the procedure?