Probably what the confusion is, wild cherry leaves, when wilted, produce cyanide. It has been know to kill goats or other animals that eat enough of the leaves, which by the way, the cyanide produces a sweet taste that is attractive to goats.
I cannot imagine the wood itself has any toxins in it. I know some woods like black walnut and mahogany can produce some toxins, and rhododendron smoke can be poisonous and as I understand it, if you cook over rhododendron wood (or mountain laurel) you'll get some bad "results" lol . FWIW, rhododendron leaves will also poison livestock if enough are ingested.