hi guys a new to this smoking thing i build a smoker and have a dual burner propane plate. i am useing cast iron pan for a chip pan but my chips caught fire what am i doing wrong?
Related Forum Threads
- buying wood chips Last post on 5/9/17 at 11:42am in General Discussion
- Wood chip pan rusted Last post on 6/24/12 at 12:04pm in Propane Smokers
- 30' MES and black, charred chips Last post on 6/21/10 at 3:01pm in Electric Smokers
- Chips, Chunks or Pellets? Last post on 3/29/13 at 2:33pm in Woods for Smoking
- chips too small? Last post on 5/2/10 at 12:38am in Woods for Smoking
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
chips catching fire
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I had the same issue when I first started using my cast iron pan for a chip try. A few things to try. Do you have a lid for your pan? I do and it helps it not get so much oxygen and they burn slower but I did have to drill holes in the lid so it gets air. How close is your pan to your flame? I had to put chimney bricks between my burner and my pan to create a barrier so it wasn't soo hot on my pan. And lastly I would recamend using a combination of some chips and also use biger chunks. The chips will start burning right away and give you some smoke faster then the chunks will take over and they will smolder and burn longer. If you use all small chips you will probably end up putting chips in at least once an hour which is a pain in the butt and it stinks opening the smoker all the time. Hope these few things help you out.
thanks i dont have a lid yet but i def going to get one and give that a try i turned the one burner with the pan on it down low and it seams to help i think i was giving her to much heat. i cant wait to try something in it thanks again for the help
Also if you don't have a lid and you have to use only chips and you are still having issues with your chips catching fire then make some chip packets by wrapping a handful or two of chips in tinfoil and putting a few holes in the top for air flow. It will keep the chips from catching fire all the time.
- chips catching fire
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Central Pa Weekend Warrior 46 minutes ago
- › Smoked chicken pot pie 50 minutes ago
- › Homemade English muffins-made on a flat top!! step by step, w/qview 50 minutes ago
- › pizza in the camp chef. 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Hello from Pennsylvania 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › First time smoked ribs! 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Baked brie with bacon and roasted tomatoes 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Brisket for 25 People 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › I just finished a 150 person event...first time ever 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › Hello from Endicott New York 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods