hi guys a new to this smoking thing i build a smoker and have a dual burner propane plate. i am useing cast iron pan for a chip pan but my chips caught fire what am i doing wrong?
Related Forum Threads
- buying wood chips Last post on 5/9/17 at 11:42am in General Discussion
- Wood chip pan rusted Last post on 6/24/12 at 12:04pm in Propane Smokers
- 30' MES and black, charred chips Last post on 6/21/10 at 3:01pm in Electric Smokers
- Chips, Chunks or Pellets? Last post on 3/29/13 at 2:33pm in Woods for Smoking
- chips too small? Last post on 5/2/10 at 12:38am in Woods for Smoking
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
I've owned a Masterbuilt for years and I love it. Trying hamburgers for the 1st time today. Wish me luck!!! By the way, Sams has the 40" for $329.00
chips catching fire
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I had the same issue when I first started using my cast iron pan for a chip try. A few things to try. Do you have a lid for your pan? I do and it helps it not get so much oxygen and they burn slower but I did have to drill holes in the lid so it gets air. How close is your pan to your flame? I had to put chimney bricks between my burner and my pan to create a barrier so it wasn't soo hot on my pan. And lastly I would recamend using a combination of some chips and also use biger chunks. The chips will start burning right away and give you some smoke faster then the chunks will take over and they will smolder and burn longer. If you use all small chips you will probably end up putting chips in at least once an hour which is a pain in the butt and it stinks opening the smoker all the time. Hope these few things help you out.
thanks i dont have a lid yet but i def going to get one and give that a try i turned the one burner with the pan on it down low and it seams to help i think i was giving her to much heat. i cant wait to try something in it thanks again for the help
Also if you don't have a lid and you have to use only chips and you are still having issues with your chips catching fire then make some chip packets by wrapping a handful or two of chips in tinfoil and putting a few holes in the top for air flow. It will keep the chips from catching fire all the time.
- chips catching fire
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › BBQ'd hot wings with Amazn Pellet Smoker 1 minute ago
- › 2017 Fattie Contest 2 minutes ago
- › SMOKED MEATLOAF w/ my new FIREBOARD REMOTE THERMOMETER 9 minutes ago
- › Howdy 13 minutes ago
- › Smoker Noob - Oklahoma Joe's Experiences 14 minutes ago
- › Howdy Y'all 16 minutes ago
- › New pit ordered. 17 minutes ago
- › New Here 19 minutes ago
- › Brined county style ribs and chicken thighs 20 minutes ago
- › Any YouTubers 52 minutes ago
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ