Basic Summer Sausage (The beginning point for me)
After looking at at least 10 different recipes I took what I liked from several and changed some ingredients to reflect my taste.
This recipe is an experimental batch and may change.
3 lbs beef strips, sliced
2 lbs Pork Butt (boned and sliced)
1 tsp Cure #1
1.5 Tbs Kosher salt
4 tsp dry mustard
1.25 oz Dextrose
1.5 tsp coriander
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup soy concentrate
9 oz cubed American Cheese (optional)
9 grams citric acid
1. Grind all meat through a large plate and mix.
2. Add all dry ingredients except the Citric Acid and cheese and mix well.
3. Pack mixture into a container, pressing out any air pockets. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 days.
4. Grind mixture through small plate.
5. Add the citric acid and cheese (optional) and mix well.
6. Stuff the sausage into 21/2 to 3 inch fibrous casings.
7. Hang and allow to dry at room temperature for 2 hrs.
8. Add sausage to 130 F smoker and continue to dry for 1 hour or until casing is tacky
9. Gradually increase tempr until 160-170 F is reached.
10. Smoke until internal temp reaches 155 F
11. Place in an ice bath until internal temp is below 100 F.
12. Hang at room temp to bloom for several hours, then refrigerate overnight.
Yield: 5.5 lbs
Serving size: 1/40 of a recipe (1.8 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 4 of the recipe's ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (50%) 54.8
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.13g 9%
Saturated Fat 2.69g 13%
Cholesterol 38.49mg 13%
Sodium 503mg 21%
Potassium 145.54mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 0.28g <1%
Fiber 0.05g <1%
Protein 12.51g 25%
Substitute Venison for beef if desired