or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Anyone use wood pellets in their MES?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? - Page 21

post #401 of 441


Even the dry wood chips had a high resistance to ground and they did not work well for us.  We DO like the wood pellets, yes it is true we need to feed it about every 20 minutes

 

We put a rotisserie in our smoker and like it a lot, works great for 3 to 4 pound chicken the only problem is, we have to put the chicken on the spit after it is in the smoker which is not to handyAppleMark

AppleMark

post #402 of 441

On the MES Facebook page, lots of people have been switching to the Smokin Wedgie as it stays lit more consistently and pounds out the smoke.

post #403 of 441

Pounding out the smoke is NOT necessarily a good thing.  Thin blue smoke is the goal in a smoker's life.  Ahhhmmmmmm!

post #404 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Pellet Guy View Post
 

On the MES Facebook page, lots of people have been switching to the Smokin Wedgie as it stays lit more consistently and pounds out the smoke.


Like Craig said, "Pounding out the smoke" is not necessarily a good thing, in fact when my AMNPS starts smoking a little too heavy (IMO), I do various thing to cut it back. Thin blue, or just a light to medium smoke is much better. Even if you can smell it, but can't see it is a good thing.

 

 

Bear

post #405 of 441

The amount of smoke is a personal preference. Some people like thin smoke like Bear mentioned while others like myself, like more than just thin smoke. I believe it has to do with everyone's taste buds. Using myself as an example, on thin smoke,I can hardly taste any smoke and require more smoke, while people like Bear probably have more sensitive taste buds and a thin smoke is perfect for them. Therefore some people are happy with the AMNPS while others are  happy with the TUBE and yet others like myself are happy with the Smoke Daddy's SMOKE RING. I have all 3 ... (AMNPS... TUBE ... SMOKE RING) ... The TUBE and SMOKE RING puts out close to the same amount of smoke. I prefer the SMOKE RING because it is easier and faster to light and stays lit. To sum it up, those of you that like more smoke than the AMNPS puts out, you will be happy with the TUBE or SMOKE RING either one.

post #406 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

The amount of smoke is a personal preference. Some people like thin smoke like Bear mentioned while others like myself, like more than just thin smoke. I believe it has to do with everyone's taste buds. Using myself as an example, on thin smoke,I can hardly taste any smoke and require more smoke, while people like Bear probably have more sensitive taste buds and a thin smoke is perfect for them. Therefore some people are happy with the AMNPS while others are  happy with the TUBE and yet others like myself are happy with the Smoke Daddy's SMOKE RING. I have all 3 ... (AMNPS... TUBE ... SMOKE RING) ... The TUBE and SMOKE RING puts out close to the same amount of smoke. I prefer the SMOKE RING because it is easier and faster to light and stays lit. To sum it up, those of you that like more smoke than the AMNPS puts out, you will be happy with the TUBE or SMOKE RING either one.


No--Bear doesn't have sensitive taste buds----I use Hickory all the time.

 

When I say "Too Heavy", I'm talking about Creosote---You Like That?  I Don't, so I use my AMNPS & only light one end.

 

If not liking to eat Creosote means I have sensitive taste buds, well then I must have them.

 

I'll stick with my AMNPS & Hickory Pellets.

 

Bear

post #407 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


No--Bear doesn't have sensitive taste buds----I use Hickory all the time.

 

When I say "Too Heavy", I'm talking about Creosote---You Like That?  I Don't, so I use my AMNPS & only light one end.

 

If not liking to eat Creosote means I have sensitive taste buds, well then I must have them.

 

I'll stick with my AMNPS & Hickory Pellets.

 

Bear

Looks like I may have awoke the Bear from his nap. I wrote my post as nicely as I could and meant no offense by it, so sorry if it offended you. As for creosote, I get none from my TUBE nor SMOKE RING either one PLUS i like their taste of more smoke vs the AMNPS when I was able to keep it lit of which were few times I could, so I will stick to my SMOKE RING.

post #408 of 441
I have used smoke pellers in my mes and love them. BUT! I have called masterbuilt and they say not to use them.
By trail and error l learned to use only a scant palmful of the pellets if you use too much they will catch fire and you could
have a blowout or worse. A nice side effect is the pellets burn down to a really fine ash.
l just want to make it clear "l am not telling you to use pellets, l am just telling you my experience with using pellets."
post #409 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

Looks like I may have awoke the Bear from his nap. I wrote my post as nicely as I could and meant no offense by it, so sorry if it offended you. As for creosote, I get none from my TUBE nor SMOKE RING either one PLUS i like their taste of more smoke vs the AMNPS when I was able to keep it lit of which were few times I could, so I will stick to my SMOKE RING.


I explained this to you & others many times:

 

When somebody (usually Newbies) Posts that they had "Bitter Meat", or "Tasted like an Ash Tray", or in this case "Pounds out the smoke", an alarm goes off in my head, as to "TOO HEAVY A SMOKE".

I don't care whether they're using the Awesome AMNPS, or some other kind of Smoke Generator, too much (Heavy or Thick) smoke is not a good thing, when it's causing bitter taste, and the best way to avoid that is to limit the Thickness of the smoke. If I look in the window of my MES & I can't see the meat through the smoke, that's too much smoke  (Too Heavy)!!!

Also---I didn't say "You Got Creosote, I made that comment about "Pounding the Smoke" as a warning, or Tip.

However I do hate when Veteran Smokers encourage Newbies to use too heavy a Smoke.

 

This is why we have "OTBS" (Order of Thin Blue Smoke).

 

And not "OBWS" (Order of Billowing White Smoke), or "OHBC" (Order of Heavy Black Creosote).

 

As for me---I enjoy more Smoke flavor than most, but I use Hickory Smoke for Many Hours to get that smoke flavor, not a short time of Bitter Heavy Creosote filled Smoke. And I'm not saying you got that---I'm only saying it's a bad thing, like I've been saying for many years before you were even here. It's never personal---Just Tips for Mostly "Newbies". Newbies usually listen to me, unless somebody says "Bear just has Sensitive Taste Buds".

 

 

Bear

post #410 of 441

Perfectly said Bear, no matter how sensitive or lack thereof your tastebuds may be.  LOL, JK.

 

Seriously, I have learned to appreciate the flavor of the products I've done with non bellowing smoke.  When I use the AMNTS, I fill the tube only 40-50%, then while horizontal, shake it sideways in order to have just the bottom half at most filled.  It puts out just the right amount for me and my annoying neighbors.

post #411 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


I explained this to you & others many times:

 

When somebody (usually Newbies) Posts that they had "Bitter Meat", or "Tasted like an Ash Tray", or in this case "Pounds out the smoke", an alarm goes off in my head, as to "TOO HEAVY A SMOKE".

I don't care whether they're using the Awesome AMNPS, or some other kind of Smoke Generator, too much (Heavy or Thick) smoke is not a good thing, when it's causing bitter taste, and the best way to avoid that is to limit the Thickness of the smoke. If I look in the window of my MES & I can't see the meat through the smoke, that's too much smoke  (Too Heavy)!!!

Also---I didn't say "You Got Creosote, I made that comment about "Pounding the Smoke" as a warning, or Tip.

However I do hate when Veteran Smokers encourage Newbies to use too heavy a Smoke.

 

This is why we have "OTBS" (Order of Thin Blue Smoke).

 

And not "OBWS" (Order of Billowing White Smoke), or "OHBC" (Order of Heavy Black Creosote).

 

As for me---I enjoy more Smoke flavor than most, but I use Hickory Smoke for Many Hours to get that smoke flavor, not a short time of Bitter Heavy Creosote filled Smoke. And I'm not saying you got that---I'm only saying it's a bad thing, like I've been saying for many years before you were even here. It's never personal---Just Tips for Mostly "Newbies". Newbies usually listen to me, unless somebody says "Bear just has Sensitive Taste Buds".

 

 

Bear

I stand behind what I previously posted on this subject,  so this is my last post on it. 


Edited by Brickguy221 - 11/11/16 at 4:17pm
post #412 of 441

Domapoi

 

 

Quote:
 

Here is a link to a video from MasterBuilt showing the installation of the retrofit for the larger smoke box. Looking at the video will also show the difference in the sizes of the old, smaller smoke box and the newer, larger one. It may take a few min. to download the video so be patient.

 

http://masterbuilt.com/video/sept2010/smokeretrokit.wmv

 

 

This link appears to be busted. (page not found error)  I'd like to see the fix.

 

I must say that so far I love my MES 30 di 2nd generation. Everything I wanted and expected right out of the box!!  Truly "set and forget."  I am disappointed I can't view the MES retrofit smoke tray.  Like most here, I had trouble with chips in the pan. Didn't produce much smoke; only lasted about 30 minutes and required me to keep filling the tube and required me to tend the smoker when I want to just sit in the living room watch TV!

 

I took the SMF advise and bought a AMAZEN tube for my smoke source and will be interested in what the Master Built retrofit has to offer but I am really happy my tube. So easy, lasts for six hours with the fill tube slightly open for air and fits down in the bottom of my smoker. Perfect for me.

 

DWD   Richardson, TX

post #413 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDunlap View Post
 

Domapoi

 

 

 

This link appears to be busted. (page not found error)  I'd like to see the fix.

 

I must say that so far I love my MES 30 di 2nd generation. Everything I wanted and expected right out of the box!!  Truly "set and forget."  I am disappointed I can't view the MES retrofit smoke tray.  Like most here, I had trouble with chips in the pan. Didn't produce much smoke; only lasted about 30 minutes and required me to keep filling the tube and required me to tend the smoker when I want to just sit in the living room watch TV!

 

I took the SMF advise and bought a AMAZEN tube for my smoke source and will be interested in what the Master Built retrofit has to offer but I am really happy my tube. So easy, lasts for six hours with the fill tube slightly open for air and fits down in the bottom of my smoker. Perfect for me.

 

DWD   Richardson, TX


Yup---That Link is real old:

There was a Model MES that came out back around 2010-2011. 

It had an extra piece of metal under the chip drawer, which was between the Chip drawer and the heating element.

That extra piece of metal caused the chips to "Not Burn" until the smoker got to about 220° or more.

Some guys cut the extra piece out, and some guys drilled big holes in it.

However it became such a widespread problem that Masterbuilt offered anyone with that model a FREE replacement Chip Burner (The whole works).

This was a Generation #1 Unit, and they used to have a Video on their Web Site, showing how to swap out the Chip Burner Assemblies.

They removed the Video after a long time (Maybe a year or two).

 

Smoke from an MES lasting only 30 minutes until having to refill is Quite Normal.

You did the best thing in getting an Amazing Smoker.

 

Bear

post #414 of 441

This might be a little off subject, But what is the best way to go to burn pellets or chips, With a AMAZEN, Cast Iron Pan or a Mail Box? I see many people using all of them.

post #415 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1957 View Post
 

This might be a little off subject, But what is the best way to go to burn pellets or chips, With a AMAZEN, Cast Iron Pan or a Mail Box? I see many people using all of them.


Jimmy, When doing pellets, most people use an Amazen  or other pellet smoking designed product.  Some have the device at the bottom of their smoker where some such as myself have the AMAZEN product in a mailbox that is attached to the smoker.   Don't know of anyone using pellets in a cast iron.

 

I do use a cast iron but only in my gasser smoker when I want to burn chunks of wood.  Otherwise I have an AMAZEN product located at the bottom of it as well.

post #416 of 441
I'm glad the pre-drying worked. Try air drying you meat and use minimal moisture with repeated small doses of pellets. Slightly cooler heat over longer period of time. I have 15 whole pork legs cellering...the oldest at 4 years . Cold smoked during winter. Salt box curing method. Serrano style. I always encourage experimental cooking. My current passion is "old world " if it worked for centuries it's good for me.
post #417 of 441

I have a wedgie on my 30 gen 1  that works great. Ribs and butt turns out great,but chicken seems over smoked,not  cresote,but over smoked.

post #418 of 441

I have the latest model of Masterbuilt's Digital Electric Smoker...Model 20078715.

 

Those that use the Amazen tray, has anyone used the tray in this smoker and if so, would love to see a picture of how it is placed in the smoker and any lessons learned.

 

Thanks guys...

 

Stan

srkays@gmail.com

post #419 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkays View Post
 

I have the latest model of Masterbuilt's Digital Electric Smoker...Model 20078715.

 

Those that use the Amazen tray, has anyone used the tray in this smoker and if so, would love to see a picture of how it is placed in the smoker and any lessons learned.

 

Thanks guys...

 

Stan

srkays@gmail.com

 

I tried it at numerous places in my Gen #2.5, like yours.

I have found the best place is on the bottom rack on the right end. Then if it needs more air you can pull the Chip dumper out a couple inches & turn it 180°. If it needs less air, you can push it back in.

If you have meat above it & not in a pan, you need to shield it from drippings.

 

Bear

 

 

All set to go:

post #420 of 441

I have the MES 30 digital but not Bluetooth model. Love it "as is". I bought the AMZN serpentine And found (and confirmed w/Todd) it wouldn't fit anywhere but on a rack. So I bought the expandable tube model and that works perfect!! I put it at the very bottom on the pan in front by the door. Filler tube turned and pulled out 1/3 to allow air and smokes for at least 5 hours. A lot longer than I need smoke for foil wrapped butts. Dump the tube and re-fill if needed longer.

 

As close to "set and forget" smoking and just the combo to do it.

 

DW 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Anyone use wood pellets in their MES?