SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Chuck Eye Roll Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chuck Eye Roll Q-View

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Many thanks to SOB and Pops for your help on this one.

 

 

I rubbed it down with Lea & Perrins Thick Worcestershire Sauce and Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub, wrapped it with plastic wrap, and put it back in the fridge overnight

 

RubbedandReady.jpg

 

  

I wanted to smoke the chuck eye to an internal temperature of 200⁰ for pulling. I started out smoking at 225, but after 5 hours it was only 155so I kicked it up to 250and smoked it for another hour. Because it was time to eat I pulled it off at 165⁰ and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.

 

 

FreshoutoftheSmoker.jpg

 

  

I was surprised by how fast the chuck eye got cold.

Even though I could see the juice running out of as I cut it I thought it was a tad too dry for my liking, but everyone else thought it was just right.

 

 CutUp.jpg

 

 I used 1 chunk of hickory and 1 chunk of cherry for the smoke. the cherry was a good addition, but I think it could have used a touch more hickory.

 

I expected more flavor out of this cut than what it came out with. It was ok and everyone liked it, but either I’m getting more critical of my work or my critics are getting easier to please.

 

 Thanks for looking

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 11

That looks great. PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmudd14474 View Post

That looks great. PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif



I 2nd that comment ... bet that flavor was awesome!

 

p.s. most of us here are pretty critical of our work so you're fitting right in PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

post #4 of 11

I would have taken it off at 140°, let it rest for 30 min then carved it. yummm

post #5 of 11

Looks Great Arnie!

 

I would have pulled it at 138˚ myself, and let it coast a couple degrees, but it still looks great.

 

I can't think of any beef I pull between 140˚ and 195˚.

 

Hey, everybody liked it, and it's not like you'll never get a chance to do another one!

 

 

Thanks for some great Qview too,

Bear

post #6 of 11

icon_cool.gif

Like Pops says I would take a hunk of meat like that to only 135° (personally) and then let it rest for 30 minutes or so and then carve away. Now a bigger hunk of meat like a brisket or a chuck roast have alot of connective tissues that you need to break down. Not like this eye roll, prime rib they are much more denser hunks of meat and they just need to be cooked and not broken down they are already tender to start with.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumosmoke View Post

p.s. most of us here are pretty critical of our work so you're fitting right in PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

LOL. Thanks, I must really be starting to fit in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Hey, everybody liked it, and it's not like you'll never get a chance to do another one!

 

 

Thanks for some great Qview too,

Bear

Good point, and I have this one's sister in the freezer

 

 Quote:

Originally Posted by mballi3011 View Post

icon_cool.gif

Like Pops says I would take a hunk of meat like that to only 135° (personally) and then let it rest for 30 minutes or so and then carve away. Now a bigger hunk of meat like a brisket or a chuck roast have alot of connective tissues that you need to break down. Not like this eye roll, prime rib they are much more denser hunks of meat and they just need to be cooked and not broken down they are already tender to start with.

My original plan was to pull it around 135° - 140°, but after giving it a hard visual the smaller end appeared to have a lot of connective tissue in it I wanted to break down.

After dinner I carved the rest of it and the second half (about 2" more than what I had already carved for the picture) did end up having quite a bit of connective tissue in it.

It was like a totally different piece of meat.

Luckily I started carving on the big end first

I'm thinking about a puff pastry for the leftovers

Thanks for the comments

post #8 of 11

Something must be wrong with the mail...I don't remember getting an invite to this awesome looking piece of meat.

post #9 of 11

Looks darn good to me, I bet ya didn't have leftovers.

post #10 of 11

Great looking smoke- I agree with pulling it at 135 for me but remember - this was yours not ours, Glad it turned out well for ya 

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post

Something must be wrong with the mail...I don't remember getting an invite to this awesome looking piece of meat.

 

Dude, I don’t know what happened. when your mailman unexpectedly showed up he said the thought he delivered it


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meateater View Post

Looks darn good to me, I bet ya didn't have leftovers.

 

When I went back to make puff pastries with the leftovers they were gone. I’m thinking the Dude found his invitation


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbelly View Post

Great looking smoke- I agree with pulling it at 135 for me but remember - this was yours not ours, Glad it turned out well for ya 


 

Like I said my original plan was to pull it around 135° - 140°, but after giving it a hard visual the smaller end appeared to have a lot of connective tissue in it I wanted to break down.

 

After dinner I carved the rest of it and the second half (about 2" more than what I had already carved for the picture) did end up having quite a bit of connective tissue in it.

It was like a totally different piece of meat, but it was all good.

 

Thanks for the comments
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Chuck Eye Roll Q-View