I have been told to start with a charcoal bed then add my wood chuncks on top for smoking. What is the best way to soak the chips and for how long. I will be using red oak for the smoke. how much smoke is too much?
Related Forum Threads
- Smoking Spare Ribs Last post on 6/13/10 at 6:19pm in Pork
- first time using chunk wood Last post on 6/11/07 at 11:25pm in Woods for Smoking
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
- use smoking wood for heat? Last post on 11/30/10 at 8:02am in Woods for Smoking
- Wood for turkey Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:41pm in Poultry
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
smoking wood for smokehouse?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I am not familiar with your smoker, but you may want to research the minion method. You mention Chunks, then mention Chips? Which one? Chips do not last near as long and you probably should soak them. Chunks do not have to be soaked but some do. No set time but I usually do around 30 minutes or so for chips.
Red oak is real good for smoke. I like to mix cherry wood with it. Do not oversmoke. Remember if you smell wood burning, you are smoking.
Good smoke on right.
Thanks for the replies, I'am using these chunks in a true smokehouse for sausage and pork. I dont soak when i smoke on my pit. I have been cooking competition for ten years now and want to start a new hobby in the form of a smokehouse in my back yard but dont know where to start.
I use a 55 gal drum for my firebox and it sits about 10' from my smokehouse and I burn straight wood. If I need heat in the smokehouse I use a propane burner inside the smokehouse but the smoke still comes from the drum
I built a smokehouse last year and couldn't be happier with it. I use propane w/iron frying pan to hold the chunks that smolder and produce the smoke. I have a row of aluminum pans to catch the grease and drippings so nothing gets in the burner. I just did 4 butts worth of buckboard bacon last Sunday, here's a pic of part of it (from one son's amount):
Unfortunately I left my camera at that son's house on Thanksgiving so I didn't have any way to take pics of the smoke. Check out the ham and smokehouse threads at the bottom of my post!
- smoking wood for smokehouse?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Applewood Smoked Apple Dumplings 4 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ Smoked Turkey Breasts on the MES 11 minutes ago
- › Tiny Fatty Appetizers - with pictures 11 minutes ago
- › New Forum Member and question about pork shoulders (smoker shut off... 37 minutes ago
- › Ribs and Relaxation 49 minutes ago
- › full refrigerator a good idea? 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Loin question 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Fastest smoke I have ever done. 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › LOBSTER AU GRATIN for dinner, last night & tonight 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › 2016 South Florida Gathering (6th Annual) November 4th-6th 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ