I have been told to start with a charcoal bed then add my wood chuncks on top for smoking. What is the best way to soak the chips and for how long. I will be using red oak for the smoke. how much smoke is too much?
Related Forum Threads
- Smoking Spare Ribs Last post on 6/13/10 at 6:19pm in Pork
- first time using chunk wood Last post on 6/11/07 at 11:25pm in Woods for Smoking
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
- use smoking wood for heat? Last post on 11/30/10 at 8:02am in Woods for Smoking
- Wood for turkey Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:41pm in Poultry
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
smoking wood for smokehouse?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I am not familiar with your smoker, but you may want to research the minion method. You mention Chunks, then mention Chips? Which one? Chips do not last near as long and you probably should soak them. Chunks do not have to be soaked but some do. No set time but I usually do around 30 minutes or so for chips.
Red oak is real good for smoke. I like to mix cherry wood with it. Do not oversmoke. Remember if you smell wood burning, you are smoking.
Good smoke on right.
Thanks for the replies, I'am using these chunks in a true smokehouse for sausage and pork. I dont soak when i smoke on my pit. I have been cooking competition for ten years now and want to start a new hobby in the form of a smokehouse in my back yard but dont know where to start.
I use a 55 gal drum for my firebox and it sits about 10' from my smokehouse and I burn straight wood. If I need heat in the smokehouse I use a propane burner inside the smokehouse but the smoke still comes from the drum
I built a smokehouse last year and couldn't be happier with it. I use propane w/iron frying pan to hold the chunks that smolder and produce the smoke. I have a row of aluminum pans to catch the grease and drippings so nothing gets in the burner. I just did 4 butts worth of buckboard bacon last Sunday, here's a pic of part of it (from one son's amount):
Unfortunately I left my camera at that son's house on Thanksgiving so I didn't have any way to take pics of the smoke. Check out the ham and smokehouse threads at the bottom of my post!
- smoking wood for smokehouse?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Where to buy 'A' style clip for temperature probe? 16 minutes ago
- › Newbie 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Just Ordered Kashimiri Red Chili Powder for Color... 3 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Any tips for cooking a meatloaf in an electric smoker? 3 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Mailbox mod question 3 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Moisture. Olive Oil & all things that don't want moisture 4 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › virginia brand vidalia onion vinaigrette what do you use it for? 4 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt instructions 4 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Smoke ring mystery solved 4 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Newb looking at smokers, could use some help 4 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ