SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › MES 30" & AMNS, 90% sure
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MES 30" & AMNS, 90% sure

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Im thinking about buyin an MES 30" and the AMNS 6"x6" for my parents for Christmas.  I see Lowes has the 30" for $179, it’s the Model #: 20070106

 

They will mainly use it to smoke meats that they will cure themselves, such as sausage and hams.  Also to smoke cheese.  And the occasional bbq of brisket or a butt.  

 

Im 90% sure this is the best setup for them considering I don’t want to spend a fortune.  Im a classic over thinker so I need to be nudged that extra 10%.   Anyone have anything to add let me know.  Or if you know of a better setup for what they would use it for let me know also.  Thanks.

post #2 of 13

I WOULD go with the 40" i just bought one at sams for 298.00 and used it yesterday

to smoke some belly bacon it was great

i used the 8x8 AMS started at 930 am and it was sill smoking at 700pm

it was full of dust and i lite at each end

what a setup i love it 

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcnick View Post

Im thinking about buyin an MES 30" and the AMNS 6"x6" for my parents for Christmas.  I see Lowes has the 30" for $179, it’s the Model #: 20070106

 

They will mainly use it to smoke meats that they will cure themselves, such as sausage and hams.  Also to smoke cheese.  And the occasional bbq of brisket or a butt.  

 

Im 90% sure this is the best setup for them considering I don’t want to spend a fortune.  Im a classic over thinker so I need to be nudged that extra 10%.   Anyone have anything to add let me know.  Or if you know of a better setup for what they would use it for let me know also.  Thanks.

 

Nick, that smoker model number is an older leftover model probably from 2007 or 2008. In 2009 they came out with new models with 800 watt elements that could be replaced if necessary.,. That model has a 650 watt element and you have to buy a whole new box to replace the element...

 

Old 30" Model #: 20070106

Quote:
20070106 black door/no window,  650 watt heating element, no heating element access  door, large wood chip tray 

 

New 30" Model # s

Quote:

20071710 black door/no window, 800  watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray  

20071810 black door/no window, 800 watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray  

20071910 black door/no window, 800 watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray 

 

IF it were me I would spring for the 40" model since you say they are wanting to do sausage, ham, cheese and bacon etc.  The difference in height of the interior would be more suitable in the 40"  Plus it has the 1200 watt element and can cook a slab of ribs without having to cut them in half...

 

No comparison in my opinion...

 

Check out Texacajuns Post on MES Model Numbers...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99348/all-mes-model-numbers

 

post #4 of 13

These are the model numbers for the New 40" Models...

20070810 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 watt heating element, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray

20071110 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt  heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray

20071210 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray

20071310 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray

20071410 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray

20071510 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt heating element, with heating element access door, ? wood chip tray

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Ended up buying the 20070810 from Sam's club and just order an amazen smoker 6x6

post #6 of 13

If it is not to late to get Todd to change your order, I'd say get the 6x8 box.  It is only about $5 more, and will give you a longer burn.

 

Someone above mentioned an 8x8 -- I don't see that listed on the web page for AMNS, only 6x6 and 6x8.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale5351 View Post

If it is not to late to get Todd to change your order, I'd say get the 6x8 box.  It is only about $5 more, and will give you a longer burn.

 

Someone above mentioned an 8x8 -- I don't see that listed on the web page for AMNS, only 6x6 and 6x8.


The 6 X 8 fits under the bars in the MES 30 too. I agree, the 6 X 8 would be better.

 

I believe the 8 X 8 is still in the experimental stage. I think it's too high to fit under the bars in an MES.

 

LOL---Of course Todd knows better than I do on that though !

 

That guy's always experimenting, trying to make a better Mouse trap AMNS.

 

 

Bear

post #8 of 13

Good thing I saw this BEFORE I ran to UPS.

 

Peer Pressure!

 

Swapped out the 6x6 for a 6x8

 

 

 

TJ

No Creosote! A-Maze-N Smokers

Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post

Good thing I saw this BEFORE I ran to UPS.

 

Peer Pressure!

 

Swapped out the 6x6 for a 6x8

 

 

 

TJ


LOL, Darn that Dale & Bear!

 

Nick will love that extra hour or two.

 

Bear

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post


The 6 X 8 fits under the bars in the MES 30 too. I agree, the 6 X 8 would be better.

 

 

I thought that I tried that, and the area was just a little bit too narrow on my MES by about 1/4 inch. 

 

It will fit underneath the chip box on the right hand side, just have to pull the drip pan out a little then slide back in with the AMNS there.

 

I'm ok with just putting it on a shelf.  I rarely use all four shelves anyhow.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale5351 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post


The 6 X 8 fits under the bars in the MES 30 too. I agree, the 6 X 8 would be better.

 

 

I thought that I tried that, and the area was just a little bit too narrow on my MES by about 1/4 inch. 

 

It will fit underneath the chip box on the right hand side, just have to pull the drip pan out a little then slide back in with the AMNS there.

 

I'm ok with just putting it on a shelf.  I rarely use all four shelves anyhow.


If I remember correctly, it fits under the left side, only if you remove the drip pan, and replace it with a throw-away foil pan.

In my MES 40, they fit on the bars to the left---My favorite place.

 

Bear

post #12 of 13

I USED my 6x8 on the bars under the water pan works great

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

Seriously?  Man, you're okay in my book, I dont care what they say about you!!!! 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post

Good thing I saw this BEFORE I ran to UPS.

 

Peer Pressure!

 

Swapped out the 6x6 for a 6x8

 

 

 

TJ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › MES 30" & AMNS, 90% sure