Will be smoking my first bird. Using all the great advice on this site, I am ready from a bird / brine/ rub perspective. My question is, I usually start smoking with lump charcoal then add whatever wood I am smoking with , then i have usually wrapped the meat (for example brisket) in foil after a certain point so that it is not too smokey. For a turkey I was interested in how everyone else does it - I have a large offset smoker (longhorn) - any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Related Forum Threads
- Is cherry wood safe Last post on 1/29/17 at 10:13pm in Woods for Smoking
- use smoking wood for heat? Last post on 11/30/10 at 8:02am in Woods for Smoking
- wood in Oklahoma Last post on 10/7/09 at 1:45pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Lump or charcoal and wood chunks Last post on 7/6/09 at 4:37pm in Charcoal Smokers
- wood Last post on 5/20/09 at 8:40am in Beef
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
How much wood to use on my first turkey?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
i did my 1st turkey yesterday. i used about a 1/4 of a bag of apple wood chips, plus i had access to some apple tree branches which i cut into 6" long chunks and added thru the smoke process. during the 7 hours of cooking i used about 8 chunks plus the wood chips and had a very nice flavor with a nice smoke ring..i did my turkey around 250 degrees the whole time.
That is a tough question. The correct answer usually depends on the individual. How much smoke do you want? I usually use a handful of chips for my offset and replenish as necessary and that works well for my tastes. My best advice is to play around with it and do a couple of turkeys as practice runs and keep good notes of how much you used. When you find the right balance for your palate, duplicate that effort for Thanksgiving.
- How much wood to use on my first turkey?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Using Hondashi as part of a dry brine/cure? 28 minutes ago
- › New smoker in Indiana 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Excessive condensation during a cook 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Any idea what type of ribs these are? 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › UMAI Bag Sizes 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Butt cooking to fast? 3 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Comparison of Pork Butt done 2 ways 3 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › wish they had more than 3 bags 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett? 4 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › QUESTIONS for you MES30/40 users 4 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods