SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Smoke Houses › I just had to build one, a SMOKECRATE that is!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I just had to build one, a SMOKECRATE that is! - Page 2

post #21 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaryellow View Post

Works great for veggies and herbs especially peppers. Since you are looking to get into sausage, there is a lot of value in dehydrating your own spices and herbs unless you buy premixed recipes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit 4 Brains View Post




Well the fan thing will be far coming since I really don't do alot od dehyd anyway. Once I found TQ, i quit making jerky and started curing meat instead..
 


Hmmm.. so this would give me something to do with that bowl full of garden-grown peppers I have. I planted some cayenne, jalapeno, baby bells, and some others and now I don't know what to do with them all. I tried the sauce thing.. way easier to buy it.
 

post #22 of 35

Exactly. Once you start making a significant volume of sausage it will amaze you how quickly you can go through that stuff. PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif

post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
 

BTW I like your quote it's as good as, "here's one for ya pilgrim, I'll have anothern fur ya when yur dun skinnin that'en."  great movie! 

 Absolutely my favorite movie...

 

post #24 of 35

Wow! It's like a really beautiful sauna for food! Nice! Look forward to seeing what it does next.

post #25 of 35

Looking great! Someday....someday.PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

post #26 of 35

pete..........nice job, i see lots of bacon and links in that thing!

post #27 of 35

Hey Pete

That looks great. You should have some fun with that for sure. I am looking at doing a freestanding unit on the side of the house and was wondering if the vent would allow the smoke to stain the side?  Let me know what you find out after using it

Thanks

Gary

post #28 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbelly View Post

Hey Pete

That looks great. You should have some fun with that for sure. I am looking at doing a freestanding unit on the side of the house and was wondering if the vent would allow the smoke to stain the side?  Let me know what you find out after using it

Thanks

Gary



I hope it does.. I'll be posting up a few more build pics and then it's gonna be smokin time!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post

pete..........nice job, i see lots of bacon and links in that thing!


Bacon for now, sausage when I can get some better equipment. I'm strolling along on a thin budget for now...
 

post #29 of 35

Nice Job Pete!

Looks Purdy!

 

Just cold smoking right??

 

I think if I was going to build one like that for hot smoking, I'd build it separate from anything else.

That way when it burns down, it doesn't take my shed, garage, house, tractors, or any other tools I'm kinda partial to.

 

But then what fun is that ???

 

 

Bear

post #30 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Nice Job Pete!

Looks Purdy!

 

Just cold smoking right??

 

I think if I was going to build one like that for hot smoking, I'd build it separate from anything else.

That way when it burns down, it doesn't take my shed, garage, house, tractors, or any other tools I'm kinda partial to.

 

But then what fun is that ???

 

 

Bear

This thing is so big it makes my turkey fryer look like a candle. I'm gonna do some test runs to 230 and see what the plywood gets to on the outside. I have a laser thermo at work I can borrow to see if it's getting to warm. I'll never cook a brisket or a beef roast so that's not an issue. I do plan doing alot of cold smoking in the winter and warmer smokes in the summer..

 

post #31 of 35

Congrats on a great build!  Can't wait to see future qview of everything you pump out of it!   PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

post #32 of 35

Thats a very nice build.

post #33 of 35

just  wondering , should you have a vent  at the bottom of your smoke house  to help draw the smoke and heat to the one

to the top  to help in temp. control...

post #34 of 35

Pete, Great build. I have been watching for a while. I don't know exactly what dimensions you have, in saying that, you mentioned needing a draft for cold smoking and dehydrating.

If you add a chimney that extends outside, and it is sealed to the inside chamber, there is a law of physics (don't remember exactly) that at about 12 ft. (that includes from the bottom of the smoker,where you have an inlet vent, to the top of the chimney, there will be a natural draft. That draft is induced due to the difference of air pressure, (12' vs 0').

Old barns were constructed with slats in the floor and those peaks on the roof? That was for draft to dry the hay etc. and keep air circulating to keep stuff cool. If you are so inclined, try it. If not enough draft, add a length of pipe. Same principle that makes a chimney work. I would try 8" pipe and make it removeable when not in use.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-draught-ventilation-d_122.html

post #35 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnovotny View Post

just  wondering , should you have a vent  at the bottom of your smoke house  to help draw the smoke and heat to the one

to the top  to help in temp. control...

I have a register in the bottom that does the trick. I can open my lower door to access my hotplate, burner, etc and no smoke will be that low...

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Pete, Great build. I have been watching for a while. I don't know exactly what dimensions you have, in saying that, you mentioned needing a draft for cold smoking and dehydrating.

If you add a chimney that extends outside, and it is sealed to the inside chamber, there is a law of physics (don't remember exactly) that at about 12 ft. (that includes from the bottom of the smoker,where you have an inlet vent, to the top of the chimney, there will be a natural draft. That draft is induced due to the difference of air pressure, (12' vs 0').

Old barns were constructed with slats in the floor and those peaks on the roof? That was for draft to dry the hay etc. and keep air circulating to keep stuff cool. If you are so inclined, try it. If not enough draft, add a length of pipe. Same principle that makes a chimney work. I would try 8" pipe and make it removeable when not in use.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-draught-ventilation-d_122.html

I don't have 12 feet in elevation and I'm not to keen on having a chimney coming out of the shed. I don't have any dehydrating in my near future so I'm just going to use it as-is for sausage and bacon..

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Smoke Houses
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Smoke Houses › I just had to build one, a SMOKECRATE that is!