Related Forum Threads
- Wood chip pan rusted Last post on 6/24/12 at 12:04pm in Propane Smokers
- chips too small? Last post on 5/2/10 at 12:38am in Woods for Smoking
- Size of wood chips? Last post on 3/22/10 at 11:16pm in Woods for Smoking
- Chipping Wood Last post on 11/21/11 at 2:46pm in Woods for Smoking
- Chips, Do I Fill The Box? Last post on 11/19/09 at 12:09pm in General Discussion
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
buying wood chips - Page 2
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I did a smoke tonight using chips on my Masterbuilt Pro Dual Fuel Smoker. Never again. Chunks only from now on...
I live on Long Island as well, I ve purchase the following woods from Walmart ,and HomeDepot in suffolk .Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Pecan,Mesquite, and Jack Daniells brand chips. as well they also carry them in chunks as well.
I buy large bags of apple wood at Home depot for about $20. The have large chunks and some smaller pieces in the same bag. I have used them with about seven smokes and still have over a quarter of a bag left over. They also sell Hickory, peach, and Mesquite.
For my apple wood, While driving around one day. I saw a huge pile of tree trimmings from someones small personal orchard. I stopped and asked if by chance they would be interesting in getting rid of some. I had told the nice older lady what I wanted it for. She then said help yourself and take what you can use. I only had to cut it up and haul away. I personnel rather use chunks then chips, they burn longer.
I also got some good ole VT Maple the same way from some one. I saw hem cutting it down. I said hey if your looking to git rid of that I would be interested in it. They kindly said if you can have it gone by the end of the day it's yours. I went back about an hour later, they had it all cut into chunks and piled by the road for me to just load in my truck.
Smokilicious has a lot of nice choices for woods and sizes: chips, chunks, and more. Shipping is included in their prices, so if you see something you like and can handle their prices, you won't get charged more for shipping. I've used their shred/chips before and it was all quality stuff. While chunks are nice and last longer, if you want more precise control for limited smoking or cold smoking, chips are much easier to use. But for long smokes with higher temps, chunks are nice!
Like Dale said, check out Lowe's or Home Depot. I got hickory, cherry, apple and they have others. 4.99 to 9.99 per bag
Go to amazon.com and do a simple search for "wood chips". You will find just about every flavor of chip you want and most of them qualify for "free super saver shipping". That means if you buy at least $25 dollars worth, which would be around 5 bags worth, the shipping is free. Keep in mind that all of the bags need to be qualified for this free shipping, but there is no problem find them. Some good deals on there too.
Popped into Menards yesterday to grab some cedar planks, and noticed they had Mesquite & Hickory Chips on sale for .99 a bag
sale runs until the 7th. get'em while they're the on the cheep.
Academy Sports store has a wide selection of wood chips here in SC- don't know if you have that chain where you are. Prices are $4-8.00 per bag and they have chunks as well
- buying wood chips
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Snack Sticks- Venison with A.C. Legg 2 minutes ago
- › FIRST COOL DAY, GOTTA FIRE UP THE LANG! 7 minutes ago
- › collagen and water bath 9 minutes ago
- › Cleaning the pot, Scrapping the pan, It's got to be done! 10 minutes ago
- › 2016 South Florida Gathering (6th Annual) November 4th-6th 11 minutes ago
- › She's home!! 27 minutes ago
- › New member in Indiana 31 minutes ago
- › New member 38 minutes ago
- › Replaced Masterbuilt 40 w/ RecTec Mini 52 minutes ago
- › Smoking food for wood 53 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman