What cut of meat for smoked brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by jeremymillrood, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. jeremymillrood

    jeremymillrood Smoke Blower

    First let me say this is a great site..Found it after looking for some information on the Meatman website. Here's the deal..I've done quite a bit of smoking, usually chicken and ribs, but I want to try a brisket. I keep seeing reference to a "packers" cut of meat, one that has a nice top fat layer and good marbling in it. So what is this cut of meat, is it an underblade round? Or are there different cuts you can use. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. fire it up

    fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    A Packer is a full brisket which consists of the flat and the point together.
    Most grocery stores that have those pretty little trimmed cuts for $4-5lb are usually brisket flats, the flat is leaner and the point has a lot of fat marbling in it.
    I like to use the flat for slicing and the point for burnt ends.
  3. meat hunter

    meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

    Here is a pic of a packer. Sams club usually has these, in a cryovac wrap. Once you smoke one, you'll be hooked. You have been warned LOL.
  4. bassman

    bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    I agree with Meat Hunter. These are the only ones I've ever done.
  5. the dude abides

    the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    I've only heard it called a brisket. Like the other guys said. It can be a whole packer, a flat cut, or a point cut. But if you're trying to figure out what to ask the butcher for...tell him or her you want a brisket. Then it's up to you what part of the brisket you want. The most common is usually the flat. But the point turned into burnt ends can be a super tasty treat.
  6. jeremymillrood

    jeremymillrood Smoke Blower

    Gentleman, thanks for all of the responses. I'll swing over to the local butcher tomorrow and see if I can score one. If not, I'll be headed over to Sam's.
  7. mballi3011

    mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Yes the packer is both parts of the brisket he point and the flat. Then like Meat hunter said once you have smoked one your hooked.
  8. pit 4 brains

    pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Attachment 23465

    Attachment 23466

    Attachment 23467

    Attachment 23468

    Attachment 23469

    Attachment 23470

    Attachment 23471

    Attachment 23472

    Attachment 23473

    Attachment 23474

    Attachment 23475

    Attachment 23476You can buy the "packer"and easily seperate it into two pieces; the point and the flat. The flat can be smoked in a much shorter time when detatched from the point. I found some tips with pics a while ago but I can't find the link again. I'm going to try to attach the thumbs I have and hopefully you can see what I mean.
    I cook the point for a good while then toss the flat in. The flat looks alot better when sliced when it is seperated from the point. The point can be cooked forever it seems..

Share This Page