I am doing a ham cure for the first time and wanted to bounce the recipe off y'all to see if it will be effective. I found the recipe in an old homesteading book and after reading some posts, I think it may be ineffective. Using a formula posted back in 2015, my nitrate parts per million is 19.72. So on 5/24/16, I added 28.35 g of cure number one 1150 g of pickling salt, 225 g of sugar, and 2 gallons of water at 7570 g. A week later, I added another tablespoon of cure number one because I realized I was under on the curing salts. I really don't know if that was a good idea to add more curing salt a week later, but I don't want to be under salted nor lose the hams. Oh and I have two ham joints at 7 pounds and 8 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of the brine solution. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.