Element know how question???

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by chubbs, Dec 20, 2009.

  1. chubbs

    chubbs Fire Starter

    I was in Gander the other day and saw the Big Chief replacement elements on clearance for $1.99.

    Bad news is I got rid of the Big Chief I had. But if I wanted to add one to my MES, would I just need to get a Big Chief receptacle to use the element....is their another way to connect it to a different brand receptacle/plug?

    If you have a Big Chief and need an additional element, Gander has them marked down from $12.99 to $1.99.
  2. zapper

    zapper Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Maybe should have stocked up and sold them on e-bay or the like.

    I don't have a Gander Mtn nearby but the last one I visited seemed to be thinning out its cooking hardware department. maybe just seasonal I hope.

    As for hooking the element up, I don't know from first hand but would think that anything is possible with a little thought and effort. Any pics of the element handy?
  3. chubbs

    chubbs Fire Starter

  4. smokebuzz

    smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    You could soilder the wire on to the element, but you would have no control over the temp,you could add a reostat/fan control, or it may not even get hot enuff at all to need to control it, like mine. Let me look around and see if i have the cord to mine, i'll send it to you.
  5. chubbs

    chubbs Fire Starter

    So, I can buy the Luhr Jensen power cord and solder that to the element?
    Do I have to cut that end adapter off?

    I would just use it as a secondary...plug it in when it is 10~F outside. Help get it up to temp. Then let the MES do it's thing. Took awhile to get up to 225F Saturday morning. That's in my garage and insulation around smoker.

    My plan for the Xmas Prime Rib is to fire up the Kerosene or propane heaters; get the garage warmed up and lessen the burden on the MES hopefully.
  6. smokebuzz

    smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Yes you can cut the end of and soilder the wire directly to the elemnt and use glass tape to wrap the connections, may not be that handy to use. I will look for the cord to mine, if I can find it I will send it to you.

Share This Page