Anybody own a lang 84 in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by shorts, Mar 30, 2010.

  1. shorts

    shorts Meat Mopper

    Here's my question. Do you own a lang 84...I just bought the 84 deluxe...and do you need plates for it? I've talked to the DMV and Police Dept and the title bureau nobody can agree. One person will say no and another will say yes!


  2. werdwolf

    werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Hey Mark, how's that Friday gig going?

    I'll ask around, I know a state trooper and local police, see If I can get you some info.
  3. hogfan40

    hogfan40 Meat Mopper

    Funny this post is coming up, i just bought the Lang 60 delux, and have been having the same problem here in Arkansas, so what i have done is called Ben from Lang and he made me a certificate of origin, and mailed it to me, and im just going to go ahead and get a plate for mine, that way i am covered, already have bought insurance on it because i will be using it for catering also, and the plate will cost around $30.00 a year i think. Hope this helps.
  4. got14u

    got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Sounds like a good way to go !
  5. jdt

    jdt Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

    Last I knew utility trailers in Ohio didn't have to have a title unless they were over 4000 lbs, but you will need a license plate either way, in Iowa you just tell them you got a homemade trailer and they charge you $15 I think, no title no inspection nothing, I guess they figure the coppers will snatch you up if the trailer is garbage.
  6. shorts

    shorts Meat Mopper

    Once again the SMF comes thru! I did finally talk to someone at the Highway patrol and they said it is considered a tool so no need for a plate.

    Hey werdwolf it's getting closer! We're finalizing the menu tonight and going through any issues we may hopefully see in advance!
  7. bbq ron

    bbq ron Smoke Blower

    here in missouri, no plate needed
  8. tjohnson

    tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    In Minnesota, it's considered "Equipment", but lights are necessary if wider than 48". I would suggest "DOT Reflective Tape" somewhere on the rear end, possibly on the frame or axle. The Lang is black and may be a little hard to see in the dark.

    Good Luck!!!

    Todd Johnson

Share This Page