Posts by dls1

Dale,   Your plan sounds good, but if you want to save a lot of time, as well as some possible aggravation, skip the thawing period and just start your briskets in the SV water bath straight from the freezer. At 200F, they should be fully thawed in one hour, if not less. Once thawed, let them continue to cook as you originally intended.
wakame,   I'm assuming that the source you found for the pimento wood chips is "pimentowood.com". I've never used their chips, but I have used their chunks and the results were OK, but not outstanding. If you've never had jerk chicken at one of the shacks, shanties, or roadside stands in Jamaica before you might be very pleased. On the other hand, if you have had jerk chicken prepared in the traditional in Jamaica before, as I have many times, you might be...
Jim, You've probably been using Morton's Kosher salt in the past, which seems to be the most widely available brand on the market. Personally, I have used Diamond Crystal Kosher almost exclusively for many years. Quite some time ago, I had to use Morton's on a time tested recipe and was blown away by the difference in the salt content and taste. After doing a little research, I did a volume/weight test using a number of different types we had in the pantry using Diamond...
That's not a "Wild A$$ Guess" at all. It's a traditional method of long term preservation and storage of cured meat that's been used for centuries. It's still commonly used today in the artisanal production of certain items such as prosciutto. Once the prosciutto is fully cured, a paste, known as sugna/sugno, is applied to the exposed sections of meat. The sugna consists of rendered lard, salt, rice (or corn) flour, and lots of black or red pepper. The purpose of the sugna...
Ray,   The recipe you present appears to be a personal variation or adaptation of a sausage known as mazzafegati, or specifically, mazzafegati dolce (sweet). Altering the ingredients somewhat results in mazzafegati saporito, or savory. The sweet version is more of a holiday or celebratory type of sausage, and the savory is more of an everyday type.   You didn't mention the part of Italy your ancestors migrated from, but mazzafegati is quite popular in Umbria, in the...
Nice job, nepas. Your nduja, which is probably my favorite salumi, looks very tasty. Were you pleased with the outcome?   I was first introduced to nduja around 25 years ago when I was driving the "scenic" route from Catanzaro in Calabria to Messina, Sicily and stopped for a quick snack in the tiny village, or commune, of Spilinga. After my first bite, I became a dedicated lifetime fan of nduja.   It sounds as if you used true Calarian hot peppers in your formulation....
Mike,   Adding to what Dirtsailor said, when I do pork chops similar in thickness to the ones you did, I cook SV at 138°F for 1½ hours then sear in a pre-heated very hot skillet for a maximum of 45 seconds per side. They always come out very moist and juicy.
 Weberkettleman, thanks for the heads up about the documentary video. I've checked and saw that it's still available on Netflix but I've not had the time to watch it yet. Do you recall the names of the ten restaurants highlighted in the video? The place that you refer to in Spain sounds like a place that I've been to a few times known as Bodega El Capricho. El Capricho specializes in mature Chuleton de Buey (ox), generally preparing retired working animals between 8 to16...
 I dry aged many beef roasts in a spare utility refrigerator similar to what you're describing. I always have one roast in it on rotation so it's almost never not being used for dry aging. Currently, I have a 7.5 pound boneless NY strip loin roast about 14 days into a (planned) 45 day cycle. In addition, the refrigerator is used for the storage of bottles and cans of beer and a few other beverages. Nothing else! Those items are not removed and replaced, except for...
First, I want to emphasize that my comments are directed solely to the use of the UMAi bags Another for dry aging beef, not for the production of charcuterie or salumi. That's a different subject altogether. My "conventional drying setup" is pretty basic. I use an old second utility refrigerator located in our basement that is primarily used for backup storage of beverages, and it does have a lot of ongoing activity. I place the open and uncovered roast on a cooling rack...