Posts by dls1

HalfSmoked,   From the description of what you and your dad once made, It sounds to me like the two of you were a basic, though classic, version of "Pruno". If you're not familiar with the term, Pruno is the jailhouse alcoholic beverage of choice made illicitly by inmates within the prison system with ingredients commonly available from the cafeteria.   Pruno's very simple to make - Pulverize some fruit in a large zip lock, or even garbage, bag, add sugar (a lot of...
Toddzio,   There are times when that old saying "Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" comes into play. This sounds like one of those times. Order it, prepare for the wrath, man up to it, and it will pass.   Good Luck.
I've cooked many steaks, as well as roasts, from frozen. Both in an oven as well as a smoker. It works well either way. No difference in the end except that one has a smoky flavor, and the other doesn't. I even did a 13 lb. turkey once from frozen on Thanksgiving, but that's a different story.   I go by finished internal temperature rather than time, as you mention. The time can vary greatly based upon the the thickness of the cut of meat being cooked.
Like many respondents, my personal favorite steak is a rib eye, around 1½” thick, and preferably dry aged. That said, a good quality porterhouse, T bone, or NY strip is always a welcome diversion.   For many years, my favorite method of preparation was to cook steaks (or roasts) in an oven or smoker set at the lowest possible temperature they would go. In my case, the low temperature on the oven is 175F, and for the smoker, it's 150F. When the IT hit around 117F, I would...
Texin,   It's hard to give you an exact time to achieve the results you're looking for due to variables such as the temperature you're smoker is running at, the thickness of the cut, etc. When I cook salmon, or any other similar cut, for service immediately following the cook, I monitor the internal temperature and when it hits 115F, it's perfectly done.
Walt,   I've prime rib roasts many times the way you're considering with great results.   Typically, I let the roast dry age for around 45 days then trim and clean. From there, I smoke it at 150°F until the IT is 115°F-120°F. Once that's done, I cut the roast into 1 ½" steaks which I season and individually bag and seal. Then, it's sous vide at 125°F for 2-3 hours followed by a hot sear. Steaks that aren't served, if any, are frozen as they are in their sealed bags for...
Here's an unlocked link to the article... http://www.cetusnews.com/life/America-Has-a-Bacon-Problem--Our-Pigs-Aren%E2%80%99t-Fat-Enough.Bkgx5nR_Ub.html
The Kashmiri powder I use goes by the brand name of "Swad". Unlike most Kashmiri brands, Swad packs a bit more heat, which we prefer. It's certainly not incendiary, however. I buy the powder locally, as well as many other Indo-Pak products, at a store known as "Patel Brothers". Their roots are in Chicago, but they've expanded to 50+ stores in the U.S. and are considered the countries largest full service Indo-Pak grocer. I don't know where you're located in Texas, but they...
I use Kashmiri chile powder (a different brand) a lot when cooking several Indian dishes primarily for, as you say, coloring. It does have a pleasant sort of floral flavor and is quite mild, around 2,000 SHU if I recall correctly.   I also use ground annatto/achiote and the two are totally different. To me, annatto has something of a musky flavor, which is fine, but if it's not used judiciously, it can impart a bitterness to any dish you're preparing.   2+ pounds of...
Dale,   Your plan sounds good, but if you want to save a lot of time, as well as some possible aggravation, skip the thawing period and just start your briskets in the SV water bath straight from the freezer. At 200F, they should be fully thawed in one hour, if not less. Once thawed, let them continue to cook as you originally intended.