Posts by dls1

I believe the brand of chicken you're referring to is Bell & Evans, which we buy from time to time, and almost always when we're doing a whole chicken rather than just parts such as breasts, legs, etc.   I'm certainly no chicken processing expert but, as I understand it, following slaughter a chickens internal temperature is approximately 100°F, and USDA requirements stipulate that the chicken must be chilled to at least 40°F within 4 hours of slaughter. The common...
I'm a little late, but I would have removed the breasts before starting. I like duck breasts at 130-135, max. If you can monitor, pull, and remove the breasts in that range, you should be good. Continue on with the remainder of the bird to 165. Good luck.
X2
I've had an Anova gen 1 1000 watt for 3+ years, and wouldn't be without it. No Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and I'm fine with that. To my way of thinking, both are meaningless features.   In short, we wouldn't be without the unit and use it 2-3 times weekly on more items than I care to mention. Great service from Anova also. After having the unit for around 11 months it developed a problem that I was 100% responsible for. Contacted them to see how the problem could be remedied...
Tom,   That's a pretty simple and sharp set up. Made up with a few items,most of which, you probably had around the house already.   Nice job.
That's correct. 1) I've had the wings at Hmong owned restaurants in the U.S.2) While with the Hmong in Laos, I ate many of their native dishes, but don't recall anything like the wings. One reason might have been the fact that there were no traditional restaurants involved, just a few basic food stalls and shacks. Also, the dining circumstances weren't particularly social and celebratory.
I've had Hmong wings before, and you're right. They really are great. I've also had a little experience in preparing them. About 2 minutes worth at which point I said to Hell with it. It was a bridge too far. I don't know where you are in Door County but I do know there's a large Hmong population in Wisconsin. I'm thinking, however, of the Appleton and Wausau areas. If there's a sizable group of Hmong near where you are there may be a market that caters to them with...
My guess is a less desirable cut of beef like chuck or round.   I've done both sous vide with excellent results. I usually go 36-48 hours for chuck, and 24-36 hours for round. I check it at the lower numbers for tenderness, and continue on if needed.
Dave,   When you downloaded the viewer, did you also install it? I have Excel as a part of Office 2013 and am not familiar with the stand alone viewer you're dealing with and don't know if it automatically installs, or requires an installation command. A quick check of your program files will tell you if it's installed or not. If not, click on the file in your downloads and follow the prompts.  
That's a Hell of a good looking dish, and certainly point worthy. And, you're right about the meat selection. It can be as humble, or as vast, as you want. The last time I prepared choucroute it was for a dinner party for 8, and I went a bit overboard. With the kraut, vegetables, and spices, I cooked the meat from fresh hocks, smoked pork chops, and lardons cut from fresh pork belly and smoked slab bacon. It was served with links of knackwurst, bauernwurst, and bockwurst....