Posts by MeatSweats86

I'm making these this weekend. Did you happen to find out how long it takes to reach an IT of 190 at 250 degrees. How were they??
Nice work on breaking in the new smoker. Point to you!
I have heard good and bad things about "The Good One". Just saw one on Craigslist for $200. Not a traditional offset. Can most likely find a better deal. I see a lot of homemade pits out of 1/4" for decent price too. Where are you located? In the past 3 weeks there has been 2 of these smokers for sale in the Twin Cities.. Oklahoma Joe for $200 and Lyfe Tyme for $225 
Good call. Look for original New Braunfels or Oklahoma Joe's - They go quick. The good ones will have 1/4" thick steel which is what you want compared to the new OK Joe that is maybe only 1/8" thick if that. I love smoked anything, but I have a 1 year old and honey to do list a mile long so using my offset will be a treat for me. The offset is a fun experience, but after 12+ hours of tending the fire it started to become a chore with everything else I had going on. Some...
Another concern with tradition offset is the temp variations from the firebox to exhaust side. At one point during my cook, I had a 45 degree difference. This is great if your cooking something low and slow and want to throw a chicken on near the FB for higher temps. I had to play musical butts about 3 times so they cooked evenly.  I am going to make a tuning plate like the picture below to help even out temps when I smoking larger quantities.   The other alternative is...
I started off using a weber kettle which I got good at controlling the heat but difficult when cooking for crowds.   Bought a used propane smoker for more room and making jerky and it's very easy to control.   I wanted a true offset stick burner, but couldn't justify spending $1000+ and I didn't want a cheap offset from the big box store. I searched craigslist religiously for about 3 months and found some awesome deals.   I just got an Original 16" offset Oklahoma...
I have read the you want to keep the fridge sanitary when you are aging meat. Having other items in the fridge besides drying meat and going in and out to get things leaves room for contamination. I have also read that people open the door every couple of days for fresh air circulation.    I was going to do the same as you. Drink all beer in fridge, sanitize fridge and then age meat for 45 days with only meat in fridge, sanitize fridge again and fill back up with...
I've watched his shows on PBS, YouTube and read his book. Always thought he only used dial thermometers. Interested to see if anyone can point out what it is? Good catch!