Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 11
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by MrSmoklestein (8/23/14 at 7:56am)8/24/14 at 1:08pm by Ka3mgh 1 3408/15/14 at 4:33pm by Engineco16 21 1,266started by db28472 (6/4/14 at 1:52pm)8/7/14 at 10:03am by Chef Willie 10 10,723started by Jc03 (8/5/14 at 7:21pm)8/5/14 at 9:09pm by Paprika Pal 2 653started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 1:07pm)7/27/14 at 4:14pm by Engineco16 4 252started by Royjulius (7/24/14 at 8:26am)7/27/14 at 9:42am by Royjulius 4 213started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:32am)7/27/14 at 7:58am by Rob Sicc 3 607started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:30am)7/27/14 at 7:07am by SB59 1 1,095started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 5:03pm)7/25/14 at 5:03pm by Engineco16 0 240started by Jc03 (7/18/14 at 7:11am)7/23/14 at 8:18pm by Twisted Minds 2 406started by Royjulius (7/20/14 at 12:59pm)7/20/14 at 1:12pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 357started by MrsHubert (7/20/14 at 8:39am)7/20/14 at 8:45am by CinnamonKC 1 110started by rbranstner (11/22/11 at 5:28pm)7/11/14 at 2:50pm by SmokinHessil 13 5,369started by Kernel (7/8/14 at 12:19pm)7/11/14 at 12:53pm by SmokinHessil 6 1,235started by Foog (7/7/14 at 5:31am)7/8/14 at 12:03pm by java 3 450started by BIG ARCHERY NUT (6/29/14 at 2:01pm)6/29/14 at 2:26pm by Chef Willie 1 597started by ayofarm (6/21/14 at 11:35am)6/22/14 at 12:03pm by forluvofsmoke 1 1,111started by fpmich (6/13/14 at 2:55am)6/19/14 at 1:24am by fpmich 10 2,563started by medicman4877 (6/12/14 at 6:18am)6/18/14 at 10:08pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 6,254started by dougmays (1/15/13 at 11:00am)6/17/14 at 10:33am by Foog 10 3,583started by fpmich (6/11/14 at 3:15am)6/13/14 at 2:27am by fpmich 5 1,300started by Bill Ace 350 (6/12/14 at 8:27am)6/12/14 at 8:47am by Bill Ace 350 2 400started by Rod G15 (6/9/14 at 5:27am)6/9/14 at 3:49pm by Rod G15 2 277started by AtlantaYinzer (6/6/14 at 8:45am)6/9/14 at 8:08am by AtlantaYinzer 2 472started by crazyboy (6/8/14 at 8:32am)6/9/14 at 8:03am by DaveOmak 1 271started by horseflesh (6/7/14 at 11:38am)6/7/14 at 12:49pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 455started by h22lude (6/5/14 at 6:39pm)6/6/14 at 8:11am by smokerjoe 8 574started by sabomnim (1/31/14 at 7:06pm)6/3/14 at 6:09pm by shtrdave 5 22,673started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 12:42pm)6/3/14 at 5:07pm by wbakema 8 881started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 6:26am)5/30/14 at 8:51pm by JaxRmrJmr 12 8,421started by JP61 (5/29/14 at 8:06pm)5/30/14 at 1:21pm by JP61 8 423started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 5:55am)5/30/14 at 10:33am by SQWIB 10 2,400started by bros (5/20/14 at 1:09pm)5/21/14 at 7:53pm by forluvofsmoke 1 609started by lozzfish (5/17/14 at 1:53am)5/19/14 at 11:15am by lozzfish 5 224started by buckinducks (5/13/14 at 3:52pm)5/14/14 at 8:21pm by buckinducks 7 423started by Earthquake5683 (5/4/14 at 4:44pm)5/14/14 at 12:21am by Earthquake5683 2 322started by philfog (5/6/14 at 12:47pm)5/9/14 at 2:54pm by Phrett 3 641started by smitty387 (5/6/14 at 7:50am)5/6/14 at 9:05am by bkleinsmid 1 236started by johnnyb99 (5/1/14 at 3:10pm)5/5/14 at 9:57am by johnnyb99 2 334started by basvdelsen (4/21/14 at 5:53am)4/25/14 at 7:52am by DaveOmak 2 21,906Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 1,022started by bendog15 (4/5/14 at 1:08am)4/8/14 at 4:48pm by TJKoko 2 382started by bhill (4/6/14 at 10:44am)4/6/14 at 10:44am by bhill 0 1,578started by gatorengineer64 (4/5/14 at 12:17pm)4/5/14 at 1:03pm by dirtsailor2003 1 215started by Stayhot (3/31/14 at 10:03am)4/5/14 at 5:44am by beerwagon 4 329started by kerstingm (3/28/14 at 1:17pm)4/3/14 at 10:32am by Woodcutter 1 144started by Rod G15 (3/20/14 at 9:32pm)4/3/14 at 7:32am by HiTechRedNeck 1 308started by Stayhot (3/27/14 at 4:33am)3/27/14 at 9:35am by Chef Willie 4 326started by Stayhot (3/25/14 at 10:52am)3/25/14 at 12:19pm by Brooksy 4 166started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,014
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Extending the Oklahoma joe chimney stack question 11 minutes ago
- › Roll Call 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › First time smoking - Fort Smith, AR 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Leg Kits 2 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › New SS Mix 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › New to the Site - Asheville, NC 3 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Lightly smoked asparagus 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › What a bummer 4 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › frog legs 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Big party smoke with Q-Vuew 4 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by Jarch
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS