Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 11
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by horseflesh (6/7/14 at 11:38am)6/7/14 at 12:49pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 448started by h22lude (6/5/14 at 6:39pm)6/6/14 at 8:11am by smokerjoe 8 574started by sabomnim (1/31/14 at 7:06pm)6/3/14 at 6:09pm by shtrdave 5 21,680started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 12:42pm)6/3/14 at 5:07pm by wbakema 8 881started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 6:26am)5/30/14 at 8:51pm by JaxRmrJmr 12 7,191started by JP61 (5/29/14 at 8:06pm)5/30/14 at 1:21pm by JP61 8 421started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 5:55am)5/30/14 at 10:33am by SQWIB 10 2,295started by bros (5/20/14 at 1:09pm)5/21/14 at 7:53pm by forluvofsmoke 1 608started by lozzfish (5/17/14 at 1:53am)5/19/14 at 11:15am by lozzfish 5 224started by buckinducks (5/13/14 at 3:52pm)5/14/14 at 8:21pm by buckinducks 7 419started by Earthquake5683 (5/4/14 at 4:44pm)5/14/14 at 12:21am by Earthquake5683 2 322started by philfog (5/6/14 at 12:47pm)5/9/14 at 2:54pm by Phrett 3 639started by smitty387 (5/6/14 at 7:50am)5/6/14 at 9:05am by bkleinsmid 1 231started by johnnyb99 (5/1/14 at 3:10pm)5/5/14 at 9:57am by johnnyb99 2 334started by basvdelsen (4/21/14 at 5:53am)4/25/14 at 7:52am by DaveOmak 2 20,684Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 977started by bendog15 (4/5/14 at 1:08am)4/8/14 at 4:48pm by TJKoko 2 382started by bhill (4/6/14 at 10:44am)4/6/14 at 10:44am by bhill 0 1,458started by gatorengineer64 (4/5/14 at 12:17pm)4/5/14 at 1:03pm by dirtsailor2003 1 213started by Stayhot (3/31/14 at 10:03am)4/5/14 at 5:44am by beerwagon 4 327started by kerstingm (3/28/14 at 1:17pm)4/3/14 at 10:32am by Woodcutter 1 143started by Rod G15 (3/20/14 at 9:32pm)4/3/14 at 7:32am by HiTechRedNeck 1 308started by Stayhot (3/27/14 at 4:33am)3/27/14 at 9:35am by Chef Willie 4 326started by Stayhot (3/25/14 at 10:52am)3/25/14 at 12:19pm by Brooksy 4 165started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,010started by chestnutbloom (3/10/14 at 8:27pm)3/20/14 at 3:13pm by chestnutbloom 9 2,437started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 998started by Nugnut (3/12/14 at 11:56pm)3/15/14 at 6:57am by mudslinger2 6 176started by A BASHAM (3/2/14 at 9:58pm)3/11/14 at 11:02am by bigwheel 8 334started by SmokingOhioButcher (3/2/14 at 8:50pm)3/7/14 at 6:40am by EdDisabledVet 8 2,059started by bigwheel (3/1/14 at 7:30pm)3/1/14 at 7:30pm by bigwheel 0 325started by spicyjerky (2/27/14 at 11:17pm)3/1/14 at 6:57pm by bigwheel 2 4442/27/14 at 11:39pm by bigwheel 27 10,688started by bendog15 (2/15/14 at 12:57am)2/27/14 at 11:26pm by bigwheel 7 6312/26/14 at 9:22am by bigwheel 32 2,177started by Hagisan (2/22/14 at 9:20am)2/25/14 at 10:37am by bigwheel 4 4,552started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,0022/16/14 at 3:00pm by DaveOmak 21 58,223started by BackyardSmokin (2/12/14 at 9:47am)2/13/14 at 4:54am by SB59 1 242started by chadwick0139 (2/10/14 at 9:54am)2/10/14 at 11:35am by SQWIB 1 470started by boykjo (2/6/14 at 6:45am)2/9/14 at 11:18am by boykjo 12 1,307started by dog1234 (2/8/14 at 9:21am)2/9/14 at 3:55am by SB59 3 339started by bendog15 (2/3/14 at 11:26pm)2/4/14 at 12:30am by stanjk 1 3,542started by jerky nut (1/25/14 at 3:45pm)2/1/14 at 2:38pm by jerky nut 16 647started by Canadianbacon (1/28/14 at 1:03pm)1/29/14 at 2:46pm by jerky nut 1 393started by Slots (1/27/14 at 11:06am)1/28/14 at 4:36am by Bearcarver 8 633started by sabomnim (1/26/14 at 9:49am)1/26/14 at 2:22pm by DiggingDogFarm 17 2,0101/24/14 at 10:16pm by Mr Cue 60 2,212started by Mr Cue (1/21/14 at 9:42pm)1/24/14 at 10:14pm by Mr Cue 2 1,414started by logical1 (1/22/14 at 9:14pm)1/22/14 at 9:27pm by MossyMO 1 386
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › ***Grilling Smoking & Fire Safety Tips*** 58 seconds ago
- › Hello from St. Augustine FL 5 minutes ago
- › FDA report shows cheese maker knew of Listeria in facility 6 minutes ago
- › The Juiciest Tastiest Chicken Breast! Oh and Smokey Sloppy Joes :) 7 minutes ago
- › Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With extra Meat) 8 minutes ago
- › Pipe Burner build for smoker 9 minutes ago
- › UDS paint staying tacky!??? 11 minutes ago
- › Hello from Winchester VA 12 minutes ago
- › Pellets in place of chips??? 13 minutes ago
- › pork collar 15 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients