Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 11
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,376started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 426started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 487started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 89111/13/14 at 4:37pm by jerky nut 21 1,532started by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 697started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 703started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 683started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,738started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 319started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 8:39am)10/24/14 at 8:39am by Matt R 0 345started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/19/14 at 12:36pm)10/22/14 at 2:56pm by Bearcarver 1 308started by kinkothecarp (9/30/14 at 6:55pm)10/22/14 at 3:48am by Mike W 6 1,527started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 704started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,342started by TheNevadanStig (10/8/14 at 2:07pm)10/8/14 at 4:26pm by TheNevadanStig 12 674started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/5/14 at 5:41am)10/6/14 at 3:14pm by c farmer 6 498started by TheSwede (7/20/14 at 1:33pm)10/1/14 at 9:13pm by kinkothecarp 1 540started by AeR0 (8/9/14 at 5:59pm)9/30/14 at 10:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 9 1,190started by smoked alaskan (9/14/14 at 6:46pm)9/30/14 at 7:01pm by kinkothecarp 8 840started by simmons5 (9/30/14 at 8:57am)9/30/14 at 6:19pm by kinkothecarp 1 269started by rustylikeafox (9/29/14 at 11:13am)9/30/14 at 7:50am by riverrat3 4 410started by CarbonFiber101 (9/28/14 at 11:53am)9/28/14 at 4:58pm by Bearcarver 3 203started by smoked alaskan (9/25/14 at 10:01pm)9/26/14 at 7:14am by Disco 3 752started by smoked alaskan (9/23/14 at 6:37pm)9/25/14 at 10:40am by smoked alaskan 5 356started by smokinadam (9/20/14 at 12:07pm)9/23/14 at 3:30pm by CrazyMoon 9 295started by GrumpySmoke (9/21/14 at 11:07am)9/21/14 at 11:45am by GrumpySmoke 2 480started by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 452started by LazyKB (9/12/14 at 10:41am)9/17/14 at 7:06am by Rob Sicc 4 339started by BobbyK (9/16/14 at 10:31am)9/17/14 at 6:38am by Rob Sicc 7 534started by Rob Sicc (8/7/14 at 7:02am)9/13/14 at 9:44am by smoked alaskan 15 677started by rugercpl (9/11/14 at 7:23pm)9/13/14 at 4:07am by CrazyMoon 4 780started by MichiganMatt (9/1/14 at 8:40am)9/10/14 at 12:56am by AussieBaz 6 570started by masonman1345 (1/19/11 at 7:24pm)8/30/14 at 11:08am by SB59 7 1,104started by AlbertaBBQ (8/29/14 at 4:37pm)8/30/14 at 9:36am by SB59 3 603started by poindexter (8/26/14 at 11:39pm)8/28/14 at 10:11am by PadronMan 3 308started by flowerlady (8/23/14 at 12:51pm)8/24/14 at 2:51pm by flowerlady 5 260started by MrSmoklestein (8/23/14 at 7:56am)8/24/14 at 1:08pm by Ka3mgh 1 3468/15/14 at 4:33pm by Engineco16 21 1,273started by db28472 (6/4/14 at 1:52pm)8/7/14 at 10:03am by Chef Willie 10 11,682started by Jc03 (8/5/14 at 7:21pm)8/5/14 at 9:09pm by Paprika Pal 2 657started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 1:07pm)7/27/14 at 4:14pm by Engineco16 4 253started by Royjulius (7/24/14 at 8:26am)7/27/14 at 9:42am by Royjulius 4 213started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:32am)7/27/14 at 7:58am by Rob Sicc 3 633started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:30am)7/27/14 at 7:07am by SB59 1 1,136started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 5:03pm)7/25/14 at 5:03pm by Engineco16 0 243started by Jc03 (7/18/14 at 7:11am)7/23/14 at 8:18pm by Twisted Minds 2 409started by Royjulius (7/20/14 at 12:59pm)7/20/14 at 1:12pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 407started by MrsHubert (7/20/14 at 8:39am)7/20/14 at 8:45am by CinnamonKC 1 110started by rbranstner (11/22/11 at 5:28pm)7/11/14 at 2:50pm by SmokinHessil 13 5,461
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › OK so any scientific reason why one should not use water or any... 27 minutes ago
- › Assistance please 32 minutes ago
- › New Smoker (OK Joe) 46 minutes ago
- › Bob's MES 30 Analog build 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › OK what the hell am I doing wrong with my AMZPS?! 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Replace Camp Chef controller with PID 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › Excessive condensation during a cook 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Whole Hog BBQ For Block Party 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Stainless Steel Off-Set Smoker 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › Top Sirlioin Santa Maria Style 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › How to choose a good gas grill
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy