Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 11
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by dougmays (1/15/13 at 11:00am)6/17/14 at 10:33am by Foog 10 3,468started by fpmich (6/11/14 at 3:15am)6/13/14 at 2:27am by fpmich 5 1,259started by Bill Ace 350 (6/12/14 at 8:27am)6/12/14 at 8:47am by Bill Ace 350 2 399started by Rod G15 (6/9/14 at 5:27am)6/9/14 at 3:49pm by Rod G15 2 277started by AtlantaYinzer (6/6/14 at 8:45am)6/9/14 at 8:08am by AtlantaYinzer 2 472started by crazyboy (6/8/14 at 8:32am)6/9/14 at 8:03am by DaveOmak 1 271started by horseflesh (6/7/14 at 11:38am)6/7/14 at 12:49pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 452started by h22lude (6/5/14 at 6:39pm)6/6/14 at 8:11am by smokerjoe 8 574started by sabomnim (1/31/14 at 7:06pm)6/3/14 at 6:09pm by shtrdave 5 22,087started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 12:42pm)6/3/14 at 5:07pm by wbakema 8 881started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 6:26am)5/30/14 at 8:51pm by JaxRmrJmr 12 7,762started by JP61 (5/29/14 at 8:06pm)5/30/14 at 1:21pm by JP61 8 421started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 5:55am)5/30/14 at 10:33am by SQWIB 10 2,340started by bros (5/20/14 at 1:09pm)5/21/14 at 7:53pm by forluvofsmoke 1 608started by lozzfish (5/17/14 at 1:53am)5/19/14 at 11:15am by lozzfish 5 224started by buckinducks (5/13/14 at 3:52pm)5/14/14 at 8:21pm by buckinducks 7 419started by Earthquake5683 (5/4/14 at 4:44pm)5/14/14 at 12:21am by Earthquake5683 2 322started by philfog (5/6/14 at 12:47pm)5/9/14 at 2:54pm by Phrett 3 640started by smitty387 (5/6/14 at 7:50am)5/6/14 at 9:05am by bkleinsmid 1 234started by johnnyb99 (5/1/14 at 3:10pm)5/5/14 at 9:57am by johnnyb99 2 334started by basvdelsen (4/21/14 at 5:53am)4/25/14 at 7:52am by DaveOmak 2 21,205Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 995started by bendog15 (4/5/14 at 1:08am)4/8/14 at 4:48pm by TJKoko 2 382started by bhill (4/6/14 at 10:44am)4/6/14 at 10:44am by bhill 0 1,526started by gatorengineer64 (4/5/14 at 12:17pm)4/5/14 at 1:03pm by dirtsailor2003 1 213started by Stayhot (3/31/14 at 10:03am)4/5/14 at 5:44am by beerwagon 4 327started by kerstingm (3/28/14 at 1:17pm)4/3/14 at 10:32am by Woodcutter 1 144started by Rod G15 (3/20/14 at 9:32pm)4/3/14 at 7:32am by HiTechRedNeck 1 308started by Stayhot (3/27/14 at 4:33am)3/27/14 at 9:35am by Chef Willie 4 326started by Stayhot (3/25/14 at 10:52am)3/25/14 at 12:19pm by Brooksy 4 166started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,011started by chestnutbloom (3/10/14 at 8:27pm)3/20/14 at 3:13pm by chestnutbloom 9 2,506started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 1,006started by Nugnut (3/12/14 at 11:56pm)3/15/14 at 6:57am by mudslinger2 6 177started by A BASHAM (3/2/14 at 9:58pm)3/11/14 at 11:02am by bigwheel 8 334started by SmokingOhioButcher (3/2/14 at 8:50pm)3/7/14 at 6:40am by EdDisabledVet 8 2,104started by bigwheel (3/1/14 at 7:30pm)3/1/14 at 7:30pm by bigwheel 0 325started by spicyjerky (2/27/14 at 11:17pm)3/1/14 at 6:57pm by bigwheel 2 4462/27/14 at 11:39pm by bigwheel 27 10,884started by bendog15 (2/15/14 at 12:57am)2/27/14 at 11:26pm by bigwheel 7 6422/26/14 at 9:22am by bigwheel 32 2,197started by Hagisan (2/22/14 at 9:20am)2/25/14 at 10:37am by bigwheel 4 4,734started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,0032/16/14 at 3:00pm by DaveOmak 21 59,139started by BackyardSmokin (2/12/14 at 9:47am)2/13/14 at 4:54am by SB59 1 244started by chadwick0139 (2/10/14 at 9:54am)2/10/14 at 11:35am by SQWIB 1 482started by boykjo (2/6/14 at 6:45am)2/9/14 at 11:18am by boykjo 12 1,316started by dog1234 (2/8/14 at 9:21am)2/9/14 at 3:55am by SB59 3 339started by bendog15 (2/3/14 at 11:26pm)2/4/14 at 12:30am by stanjk 1 3,550started by jerky nut (1/25/14 at 3:45pm)2/1/14 at 2:38pm by jerky nut 16 649
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Hi. I'm a newbie. I watched some youtube videos about turning my... 8 seconds ago
- › Michigan Newbie 1 minute ago
- › Yes I still cook! 5 minutes ago
- › My first shot at Beer Can Burgers...My first post in a while 13 minutes ago
- › Gr8Scott from Mount Airy, NC 21 minutes ago
- › 3-2-R Method, Ribs Recipe with Q-View. 22 minutes ago
- › Pork Loin Question 23 minutes ago
- › 100% newb Can I smoke on this? 32 minutes ago
- › Quick Newbie Question about the Crutch 36 minutes ago
- › Help Newbie in need of guidance 41 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...