Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 11
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by basvdelsen (4/21/14 at 5:53am)4/25/14 at 7:52am by DaveOmak 2 20,005Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 964started by bendog15 (4/5/14 at 1:08am)4/8/14 at 4:48pm by TJKoko 2 382started by bhill (4/6/14 at 10:44am)4/6/14 at 10:44am by bhill 0 1,401started by gatorengineer64 (4/5/14 at 12:17pm)4/5/14 at 1:03pm by dirtsailor2003 1 212started by Stayhot (3/31/14 at 10:03am)4/5/14 at 5:44am by beerwagon 4 326started by kerstingm (3/28/14 at 1:17pm)4/3/14 at 10:32am by Woodcutter 1 142started by Rod G15 (3/20/14 at 9:32pm)4/3/14 at 7:32am by HiTechRedNeck 1 308started by Stayhot (3/27/14 at 4:33am)3/27/14 at 9:35am by Chef Willie 4 325started by Stayhot (3/25/14 at 10:52am)3/25/14 at 12:19pm by Brooksy 4 165started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,008started by chestnutbloom (3/10/14 at 8:27pm)3/20/14 at 3:13pm by chestnutbloom 9 2,390started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 994started by Nugnut (3/12/14 at 11:56pm)3/15/14 at 6:57am by mudslinger2 6 176started by A BASHAM (3/2/14 at 9:58pm)3/11/14 at 11:02am by bigwheel 8 334started by SmokingOhioButcher (3/2/14 at 8:50pm)3/7/14 at 6:40am by EdDisabledVet 8 2,036started by bigwheel (3/1/14 at 7:30pm)3/1/14 at 7:30pm by bigwheel 0 325started by spicyjerky (2/27/14 at 11:17pm)3/1/14 at 6:57pm by bigwheel 2 4442/27/14 at 11:39pm by bigwheel 27 10,411started by bendog15 (2/15/14 at 12:57am)2/27/14 at 11:26pm by bigwheel 7 6302/26/14 at 9:22am by bigwheel 32 2,160started by Hagisan (2/22/14 at 9:20am)2/25/14 at 10:37am by bigwheel 4 4,310started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 9992/16/14 at 3:00pm by DaveOmak 21 57,033started by BackyardSmokin (2/12/14 at 9:47am)2/13/14 at 4:54am by SB59 1 240started by chadwick0139 (2/10/14 at 9:54am)2/10/14 at 11:35am by SQWIB 1 459started by boykjo (2/6/14 at 6:45am)2/9/14 at 11:18am by boykjo 12 1,305started by dog1234 (2/8/14 at 9:21am)2/9/14 at 3:55am by SB59 3 339started by bendog15 (2/3/14 at 11:26pm)2/4/14 at 12:30am by stanjk 1 3,533started by jerky nut (1/25/14 at 3:45pm)2/1/14 at 2:38pm by jerky nut 16 644started by Canadianbacon (1/28/14 at 1:03pm)1/29/14 at 2:46pm by jerky nut 1 390started by Slots (1/27/14 at 11:06am)1/28/14 at 4:36am by Bearcarver 8 632started by sabomnim (1/26/14 at 9:49am)1/26/14 at 2:22pm by DiggingDogFarm 17 1,9311/24/14 at 10:16pm by Mr Cue 60 2,207started by Mr Cue (1/21/14 at 9:42pm)1/24/14 at 10:14pm by Mr Cue 2 1,400started by logical1 (1/22/14 at 9:14pm)1/22/14 at 9:27pm by MossyMO 1 382started by drifterdon (1/19/14 at 8:52pm)1/20/14 at 4:24pm by Falco78 4 185started by Phinicky (1/18/14 at 1:39pm)1/20/14 at 4:01pm by jerky nut 6 1,296started by wicked1 (1/20/14 at 8:24am)1/20/14 at 8:40am by SB59 1 324started by Canadianbacon (1/19/14 at 4:13pm)1/19/14 at 5:37pm by dirtsailor2003 1 338started by johnnyb99 (1/19/14 at 9:29am)1/19/14 at 1:45pm by johnnyb99 4 389started by mlol (1/18/14 at 2:17am)1/18/14 at 5:55am by SB59 1 171started by link (1/11/14 at 6:34am)1/16/14 at 5:06am by link 10 240started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 941started by mlol (1/13/14 at 7:35am)1/14/14 at 6:01pm by jerky nut 3 2,807started by SmokingOhioButcher (1/12/14 at 7:06pm)1/13/14 at 6:09am by SQWIB 3 249started by dog1234 (1/5/14 at 12:12pm)1/9/14 at 9:20pm by RugerLab 8 3,100started by pearlheartgtr (9/17/12 at 2:06pm)1/9/14 at 7:23am by ERNurse28 6 2,407started by Grudge (1/1/14 at 7:07pm)1/8/14 at 4:46pm by Philsey Da Bear 4 2,993started by Papa Chops (1/5/14 at 1:41am)1/5/14 at 5:36pm by Papa Chops 3 251
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Help with new smoker Komodo vs pellet vs electric? 4 minutes ago
- › HELP with breakfast link casings 5 minutes ago
- › My first Crack at breakfast sausage 6 minutes ago
- › Academy Old Country Smokers? 8 minutes ago
- › Beef ribs, AKA "Dino bones" in the smoker. Done! Q view up! 16 minutes ago
- › Brisket Today 17 minutes ago
- › Finally got the ole UDS together 20 minutes ago
- › BBQ sauce 21 minutes ago
- › Brown sugar cure 21 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro Intro Post! 24 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations