Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 2
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Views1/23/17 at 8:32am by dirtsailor2003 47 721started by scrubbed03 (1/22/17 at 1:01pm)1/23/17 at 3:07am by SmokinAl 3 128started by mossyoakglock (1/20/17 at 9:41am)1/20/17 at 11:33am by DaveOmak 5 1031/20/17 at 7:13am by tropics 25 430started by AceG (1/19/17 at 7:58pm)1/19/17 at 8:19pm by AceG 2 93started by AceG (1/16/17 at 12:20pm)1/18/17 at 12:39pm by AceG 10 2741/18/17 at 12:00pm by maxamillian 91 27,987started by tropics (1/18/17 at 3:36am)1/18/17 at 7:33am by dirtsailor2003 10 180started by dirtsailor2003 (6/4/16 at 8:01pm)1/17/17 at 7:27am by whistech 19 807started by jerkyman456 (1/12/17 at 9:51pm)1/13/17 at 1:48pm by jerkyman456 4 147started by cmayna (1/7/17 at 6:21pm)1/12/17 at 11:15pm by DukeBurger 7 428started by novasbc (1/3/17 at 8:51pm)1/11/17 at 9:48pm by TallBM 10 441started by dward51 (1/6/17 at 1:02pm)1/9/17 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 10 327started by twolf148 (1/7/17 at 4:37pm)1/8/17 at 3:15pm by twolf148 2 298started by muralboy (12/7/15 at 4:56pm)1/8/17 at 8:06am by cmayna 14 1,363started by Lost (1/5/17 at 6:31am)1/7/17 at 9:40am by Lost 8 244started by Ihook (5/9/15 at 6:32am)1/6/17 at 2:12pm by mab007 4 677started by cmayna (1/6/17 at 7:59am)1/6/17 at 9:55am by cmayna 4 1801/5/17 at 10:04am by ammaturesmoker 28 2,948started by JohnH12 (12/25/16 at 11:33am)1/5/17 at 7:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 4401/3/17 at 9:30am by flipman77 44 24,699started by MathMan (12/28/16 at 10:46am)12/31/16 at 10:15am by CrankyBuzzard 5 272started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:40pm)12/30/16 at 7:29am by Chef JimmyJ 10 307started by salmonclubber (11/10/09 at 10:23pm)12/29/16 at 7:01pm by Jonny5000 16 3,567started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:54am)12/29/16 at 2:43pm by CrazyMoon 3 30112/29/16 at 1:39pm by countryboy-Q 112 33,72712/29/16 at 9:37am by SmokinAl 26 650started by nepas (8/8/16 at 3:33am)12/29/16 at 7:47am by Ironhorse07 11 732started by Basil (12/24/16 at 12:42pm)12/26/16 at 1:58pm by dirtsailor2003 4 358started by Heavymoose (12/24/16 at 12:27pm)12/26/16 at 1:57pm by Heavymoose 4 187started by JohnH12 (12/26/16 at 5:37am)12/26/16 at 7:55am by JohnH12 2 142started by Reeltight79 (12/24/16 at 9:02am)12/24/16 at 1:19pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 262started by JohnH12 (12/23/16 at 12:01pm)12/23/16 at 2:44pm by CrankyBuzzard 3 326started by Heavymoose (12/18/16 at 7:08am)12/23/16 at 12:00pm by Heavymoose 5 298started by Mc Smokerson (12/22/16 at 7:24am)12/22/16 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 417started by julian537 (12/18/16 at 8:33pm)12/20/16 at 8:47am by julian537 7 345started by sledhead01 (12/6/16 at 10:06am)12/20/16 at 7:19am by CrankyBuzzard 13 553started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 995started by 123chadder (12/17/16 at 10:59pm)12/18/16 at 8:27am by 123chadder 3 454started by nepas (12/12/16 at 8:25am)12/18/16 at 2:00am by CrazyMoon 14 278started by RubHeavy (12/13/16 at 7:41pm)12/15/16 at 7:05pm by MyOwnIdaho 18 646started by bigbuck (12/14/16 at 6:13am)12/15/16 at 8:14am by dirtsailor2003 4 567started by MyOwnIdaho (11/27/16 at 11:54am)12/12/16 at 8:35am by MyOwnIdaho 3 216started by wayerfowl lvr (12/6/16 at 3:26pm)12/11/16 at 2:49pm by Bladeguy 3 218started by Vikings8480 (9/27/16 at 11:25am)12/11/16 at 9:51am by cashxx 3 1,18712/10/16 at 7:16am by Bomax 20 1,991started by LaVenna Kay Cox (12/8/16 at 7:15pm)12/9/16 at 6:29am by LarkinJr 3 128started by bigbuck (12/7/16 at 6:57am)12/7/16 at 12:41pm by dirtsailor2003 1 228started by revid (11/26/16 at 9:46am)12/6/16 at 4:44pm by Stainless 5 428started by Smokin218R (12/1/16 at 12:04pm)12/5/16 at 9:00am by Smokin218R 10 391
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Should you take the bark off wood 23 minutes ago
- › sous vide duck on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives 25 minutes ago
- › Pulled Pork tomorrow, general discussion about situaiton 30 minutes ago
- › Anova Sous Vide cooler 32 minutes ago
- › newbie 125 gallon reverse flow build the start 45 minutes ago
- › Hot and fast problem 59 minutes ago
- › Dear Sausage Doctors, my sausage is 'puckered' in smoker. Too much... 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › New Guy 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › hello from toronto ohio 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Greetings fellow outdoor cookers... 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations