Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 2
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by localjerkyman (2/16/17 at 11:31am)2/16/17 at 6:39pm by localjerkyman 6 2942/12/17 at 3:22pm by forluvofsmoke 32 10,340started by Mikedaub (1/30/17 at 11:02am)2/11/17 at 6:02pm by whistech 16 482started by John Prochaska (2/8/17 at 5:01pm)2/9/17 at 9:34am by DaveOmak 2 320started by Potsieko (2/6/17 at 11:34am)2/8/17 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 16 637started by wayoutwest (1/31/17 at 11:54pm)2/8/17 at 1:52pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 7 3672/5/17 at 8:15pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 5271/31/17 at 6:37pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 27 728started by phatbac (1/30/17 at 12:02pm)1/31/17 at 6:54am by phatbac 10 406started by afogg (1/23/17 at 3:53pm)1/30/17 at 11:26am by DaveOmak 5 545started by afogg (1/29/17 at 11:22am)1/30/17 at 10:18am by afogg 4 94started by thebigsmooth (1/29/17 at 10:47am)1/30/17 at 9:00am by Bearcarver 6 277started by Buffalo diesel (1/28/17 at 5:38am)1/29/17 at 4:16am by Bellaru 3 79started by logankarl (1/28/17 at 12:43pm)1/28/17 at 11:45pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 156started by localjerkyman (1/23/17 at 3:19pm)1/28/17 at 3:18pm by AceG 13 4761/26/17 at 12:35pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 23 1,987started by mrad (1/25/17 at 10:31am)1/26/17 at 8:38am by Noboundaries 6 242started by AntiX (1/19/17 at 8:52am)1/24/17 at 1:47pm by AntiX 12 413started by MyOwnIdaho (1/21/17 at 2:17pm)1/24/17 at 9:02am by Disco 16 2191/23/17 at 1:30pm by the munt 81 6,483started by scrubbed03 (1/22/17 at 1:01pm)1/23/17 at 3:07am by SmokinAl 3 137started by mossyoakglock (1/20/17 at 9:41am)1/20/17 at 11:33am by DaveOmak 5 1081/20/17 at 7:13am by tropics 25 450started by AceG (1/19/17 at 7:58pm)1/19/17 at 8:19pm by AceG 2 96started by AceG (1/16/17 at 12:20pm)1/18/17 at 12:39pm by AceG 10 2811/18/17 at 12:00pm by maxamillian 91 28,143started by tropics (1/18/17 at 3:36am)1/18/17 at 7:33am by dirtsailor2003 10 193started by dirtsailor2003 (6/4/16 at 8:01pm)1/17/17 at 7:27am by whistech 19 874started by jerkyman456 (1/12/17 at 9:51pm)1/13/17 at 1:48pm by jerkyman456 4 149started by cmayna (1/7/17 at 6:21pm)1/12/17 at 11:15pm by DukeBurger 7 455started by novasbc (1/3/17 at 8:51pm)1/11/17 at 9:48pm by TallBM 10 480started by dward51 (1/6/17 at 1:02pm)1/9/17 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 10 366started by twolf148 (1/7/17 at 4:37pm)1/8/17 at 3:15pm by twolf148 2 315started by muralboy (12/7/15 at 4:56pm)1/8/17 at 8:06am by cmayna 14 1,408started by Lost (1/5/17 at 6:31am)1/7/17 at 9:40am by Lost 8 250started by Ihook (5/9/15 at 6:32am)1/6/17 at 2:12pm by mab007 4 686started by cmayna (1/6/17 at 7:59am)1/6/17 at 9:55am by cmayna 4 1921/5/17 at 10:04am by ammaturesmoker 28 3,009started by JohnH12 (12/25/16 at 11:33am)1/5/17 at 7:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 4641/3/17 at 9:30am by flipman77 44 26,063started by MathMan (12/28/16 at 10:46am)12/31/16 at 10:15am by CrankyBuzzard 5 298started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:40pm)12/30/16 at 7:29am by Chef JimmyJ 10 313started by salmonclubber (11/10/09 at 10:23pm)12/29/16 at 7:01pm by Jonny5000 16 3,593started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:54am)12/29/16 at 2:43pm by CrazyMoon 3 30612/29/16 at 1:39pm by countryboy-Q 112 34,026started by nepas (8/8/16 at 3:33am)12/29/16 at 7:47am by Ironhorse07 11 792started by Basil (12/24/16 at 12:42pm)12/26/16 at 1:58pm by dirtsailor2003 4 380started by Heavymoose (12/24/16 at 12:27pm)12/26/16 at 1:57pm by Heavymoose 4 190started by JohnH12 (12/26/16 at 5:37am)12/26/16 at 7:55am by JohnH12 2 146started by Reeltight79 (12/24/16 at 9:02am)12/24/16 at 1:19pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 300
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Streaky bacon on the Smokin-It#3 39 seconds ago
- › Briskets coming out tough 2 minutes ago
- › Hot and fast brisket cook 5 minutes ago
- › 36cu.ft. Cypress/ Hardie board Outhouse smoker build -pics. addded 5 minutes ago
- › New Model 5 From Smokin-it 8 minutes ago
- › Newbie 9 minutes ago
- › Smoker/Cooker Build 10 minutes ago
- › Pork Sirloin Roast Canadian Bacon w/ Q-View 11 minutes ago
- › Hello from Brazil 11 minutes ago
- › Question about wood 12 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients