Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 2
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by kurd2408 (2/22/17 at 12:22pm)2/23/17 at 4:20pm by Kajun58 5 200started by dirtsailor2003 (2/22/17 at 9:49am)2/22/17 at 11:59am by dirtsailor2003 7 232started by Hornnumb2 (2/21/17 at 2:37pm)2/21/17 at 3:26pm by Hornnumb2 5 912/19/17 at 1:49pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 444started by TripleQ (2/18/17 at 6:08am)2/19/17 at 8:21am by dirtsailor2003 5 1752/17/17 at 11:30am by tropics 20 263started by localjerkyman (2/16/17 at 11:31am)2/16/17 at 6:39pm by localjerkyman 6 3182/12/17 at 3:22pm by forluvofsmoke 32 10,412started by Mikedaub (1/30/17 at 11:02am)2/11/17 at 6:02pm by whistech 16 512started by John Prochaska (2/8/17 at 5:01pm)2/9/17 at 9:34am by DaveOmak 2 344started by Potsieko (2/6/17 at 11:34am)2/8/17 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 16 750started by wayoutwest (1/31/17 at 11:54pm)2/8/17 at 1:52pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 7 3772/5/17 at 8:15pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 5421/31/17 at 6:37pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 27 749started by phatbac (1/30/17 at 12:02pm)1/31/17 at 6:54am by phatbac 10 432started by afogg (1/23/17 at 3:53pm)1/30/17 at 11:26am by DaveOmak 5 580started by afogg (1/29/17 at 11:22am)1/30/17 at 10:18am by afogg 4 107started by thebigsmooth (1/29/17 at 10:47am)1/30/17 at 9:00am by Bearcarver 6 295started by Buffalo diesel (1/28/17 at 5:38am)1/29/17 at 4:16am by Bellaru 3 79started by logankarl (1/28/17 at 12:43pm)1/28/17 at 11:45pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 160started by localjerkyman (1/23/17 at 3:19pm)1/28/17 at 3:18pm by AceG 13 5261/26/17 at 12:35pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 23 2,006started by mrad (1/25/17 at 10:31am)1/26/17 at 8:38am by Noboundaries 6 245started by AntiX (1/19/17 at 8:52am)1/24/17 at 1:47pm by AntiX 12 419started by MyOwnIdaho (1/21/17 at 2:17pm)1/24/17 at 9:02am by Disco 16 2211/23/17 at 1:30pm by the munt 81 6,827started by scrubbed03 (1/22/17 at 1:01pm)1/23/17 at 3:07am by SmokinAl 3 142started by mossyoakglock (1/20/17 at 9:41am)1/20/17 at 11:33am by DaveOmak 5 1131/20/17 at 7:13am by tropics 25 459started by AceG (1/19/17 at 7:58pm)1/19/17 at 8:19pm by AceG 2 98started by AceG (1/16/17 at 12:20pm)1/18/17 at 12:39pm by AceG 10 2861/18/17 at 12:00pm by maxamillian 91 28,273started by tropics (1/18/17 at 3:36am)1/18/17 at 7:33am by dirtsailor2003 10 198started by dirtsailor2003 (6/4/16 at 8:01pm)1/17/17 at 7:27am by whistech 19 918started by jerkyman456 (1/12/17 at 9:51pm)1/13/17 at 1:48pm by jerkyman456 4 152started by cmayna (1/7/17 at 6:21pm)1/12/17 at 11:15pm by DukeBurger 7 465started by novasbc (1/3/17 at 8:51pm)1/11/17 at 9:48pm by TallBM 10 486started by dward51 (1/6/17 at 1:02pm)1/9/17 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 10 389started by twolf148 (1/7/17 at 4:37pm)1/8/17 at 3:15pm by twolf148 2 318started by muralboy (12/7/15 at 4:56pm)1/8/17 at 8:06am by cmayna 14 1,473started by Lost (1/5/17 at 6:31am)1/7/17 at 9:40am by Lost 8 253started by Ihook (5/9/15 at 6:32am)1/6/17 at 2:12pm by mab007 4 688started by cmayna (1/6/17 at 7:59am)1/6/17 at 9:55am by cmayna 4 1981/5/17 at 10:04am by ammaturesmoker 28 3,099started by JohnH12 (12/25/16 at 11:33am)1/5/17 at 7:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 4851/3/17 at 9:30am by flipman77 44 27,077started by MathMan (12/28/16 at 10:46am)12/31/16 at 10:15am by CrankyBuzzard 5 312started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:40pm)12/30/16 at 7:29am by Chef JimmyJ 10 318started by salmonclubber (11/10/09 at 10:23pm)12/29/16 at 7:01pm by Jonny5000 16 3,606started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:54am)12/29/16 at 2:43pm by CrazyMoon 3 310
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Question about smoking pulled pork boneless butt. 2 minutes ago
- › Greek Loukaniko 4 minutes ago
- › Butt & ribs 5 minutes ago
- › So what's everyone smoking this weekend? 6 minutes ago
- › Carving A Turkey 6 minutes ago
- › Remember The Fallen !! 9 minutes ago
- › Under the Sea Throwdown Winners!!! 10 minutes ago
- › Canada Goose Smoke Sausage 14 minutes ago
- › 120 gallon RF trailer build 17 minutes ago
- › Smoked Seafood Paella (Under the Sea TD) 23 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer