Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 10
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 672started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,257started by TheNevadanStig (10/8/14 at 2:07pm)10/8/14 at 4:26pm by TheNevadanStig 12 656started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/5/14 at 5:41am)10/6/14 at 3:14pm by c farmer 6 490started by TheSwede (7/20/14 at 1:33pm)10/1/14 at 9:13pm by kinkothecarp 1 538started by AeR0 (8/9/14 at 5:59pm)9/30/14 at 10:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 9 1,183started by smoked alaskan (9/14/14 at 6:46pm)9/30/14 at 7:01pm by kinkothecarp 8 825started by simmons5 (9/30/14 at 8:57am)9/30/14 at 6:19pm by kinkothecarp 1 258started by rustylikeafox (9/29/14 at 11:13am)9/30/14 at 7:50am by riverrat3 4 406started by CarbonFiber101 (9/28/14 at 11:53am)9/28/14 at 4:58pm by Bearcarver 3 202started by smoked alaskan (9/25/14 at 10:01pm)9/26/14 at 7:14am by Disco 3 743started by smoked alaskan (9/23/14 at 6:37pm)9/25/14 at 10:40am by smoked alaskan 5 348started by smokinadam (9/20/14 at 12:07pm)9/23/14 at 3:30pm by CrazyMoon 9 291started by GrumpySmoke (9/21/14 at 11:07am)9/21/14 at 11:45am by GrumpySmoke 2 478started by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 452started by LazyKB (9/12/14 at 10:41am)9/17/14 at 7:06am by Rob Sicc 4 339started by BobbyK (9/16/14 at 10:31am)9/17/14 at 6:38am by Rob Sicc 7 532started by Rob Sicc (8/7/14 at 7:02am)9/13/14 at 9:44am by smoked alaskan 15 657started by rugercpl (9/11/14 at 7:23pm)9/13/14 at 4:07am by CrazyMoon 4 769started by MichiganMatt (9/1/14 at 8:40am)9/10/14 at 12:56am by AussieBaz 6 567started by masonman1345 (1/19/11 at 7:24pm)8/30/14 at 11:08am by SB59 7 1,095started by AlbertaBBQ (8/29/14 at 4:37pm)8/30/14 at 9:36am by SB59 3 566started by poindexter (8/26/14 at 11:39pm)8/28/14 at 10:11am by PadronMan 3 305started by flowerlady (8/23/14 at 12:51pm)8/24/14 at 2:51pm by flowerlady 5 260started by MrSmoklestein (8/23/14 at 7:56am)8/24/14 at 1:08pm by Ka3mgh 1 3348/15/14 at 4:33pm by Engineco16 21 1,264started by db28472 (6/4/14 at 1:52pm)8/7/14 at 10:03am by Chef Willie 10 10,132started by Jc03 (8/5/14 at 7:21pm)8/5/14 at 9:09pm by Paprika Pal 2 639started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 1:07pm)7/27/14 at 4:14pm by Engineco16 4 250started by Royjulius (7/24/14 at 8:26am)7/27/14 at 9:42am by Royjulius 4 210started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:32am)7/27/14 at 7:58am by Rob Sicc 3 575started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:30am)7/27/14 at 7:07am by SB59 1 1,069started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 5:03pm)7/25/14 at 5:03pm by Engineco16 0 239started by Jc03 (7/18/14 at 7:11am)7/23/14 at 8:18pm by Twisted Minds 2 403started by Royjulius (7/20/14 at 12:59pm)7/20/14 at 1:12pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 353started by MrsHubert (7/20/14 at 8:39am)7/20/14 at 8:45am by CinnamonKC 1 109started by rbranstner (11/22/11 at 5:28pm)7/11/14 at 2:50pm by SmokinHessil 13 5,311started by Kernel (7/8/14 at 12:19pm)7/11/14 at 12:53pm by SmokinHessil 6 1,212started by Foog (7/7/14 at 5:31am)7/8/14 at 12:03pm by java 3 449started by BIG ARCHERY NUT (6/29/14 at 2:01pm)6/29/14 at 2:26pm by Chef Willie 1 597started by ayofarm (6/21/14 at 11:35am)6/22/14 at 12:03pm by forluvofsmoke 1 1,092started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)6/21/14 at 10:27pm by CurtisK 15 7,558started by fpmich (6/13/14 at 2:55am)6/19/14 at 1:24am by fpmich 10 2,457started by medicman4877 (6/12/14 at 6:18am)6/18/14 at 10:08pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 6,140started by dougmays (1/15/13 at 11:00am)6/17/14 at 10:33am by Foog 10 3,378started by fpmich (6/11/14 at 3:15am)6/13/14 at 2:27am by fpmich 5 1,218started by Bill Ace 350 (6/12/14 at 8:27am)6/12/14 at 8:47am by Bill Ace 350 2 398started by Rod G15 (6/9/14 at 5:27am)6/9/14 at 3:49pm by Rod G15 2 277started by AtlantaYinzer (6/6/14 at 8:45am)6/9/14 at 8:08am by AtlantaYinzer 2 472started by crazyboy (6/8/14 at 8:32am)6/9/14 at 8:03am by DaveOmak 1 271
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New Member in Alvarado Texas 5 minutes ago
- › My 1st rack of pork 6 minutes ago
- › Here is a cure formula for making bacon 8 minutes ago
- › Spares 9 minutes ago
- › Ideas 11 minutes ago
- › WSM Gourmet Pizza - Because I don't know what else to call it 15 minutes ago
- › Quickest technique to making bulk snack sticks 35 minutes ago
- › MAKING AN INEXPENSIVE TUBE SMOKER 54 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Ground Beef 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › New - Oklahoma Joe's Highland Smoker 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices