Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 10
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 695started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 688started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 672started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,499started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 316started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 8:39am)10/24/14 at 8:39am by Matt R 0 345started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/19/14 at 12:36pm)10/22/14 at 2:56pm by Bearcarver 1 302started by kinkothecarp (9/30/14 at 6:55pm)10/22/14 at 3:48am by Mike W 6 1,503started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 676started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,282started by TheNevadanStig (10/8/14 at 2:07pm)10/8/14 at 4:26pm by TheNevadanStig 12 661started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/5/14 at 5:41am)10/6/14 at 3:14pm by c farmer 6 491started by TheSwede (7/20/14 at 1:33pm)10/1/14 at 9:13pm by kinkothecarp 1 538started by AeR0 (8/9/14 at 5:59pm)9/30/14 at 10:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 9 1,183started by smoked alaskan (9/14/14 at 6:46pm)9/30/14 at 7:01pm by kinkothecarp 8 828started by simmons5 (9/30/14 at 8:57am)9/30/14 at 6:19pm by kinkothecarp 1 258started by rustylikeafox (9/29/14 at 11:13am)9/30/14 at 7:50am by riverrat3 4 406started by CarbonFiber101 (9/28/14 at 11:53am)9/28/14 at 4:58pm by Bearcarver 3 202started by smoked alaskan (9/25/14 at 10:01pm)9/26/14 at 7:14am by Disco 3 744started by smoked alaskan (9/23/14 at 6:37pm)9/25/14 at 10:40am by smoked alaskan 5 351started by smokinadam (9/20/14 at 12:07pm)9/23/14 at 3:30pm by CrazyMoon 9 293started by GrumpySmoke (9/21/14 at 11:07am)9/21/14 at 11:45am by GrumpySmoke 2 478started by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 452started by LazyKB (9/12/14 at 10:41am)9/17/14 at 7:06am by Rob Sicc 4 339started by BobbyK (9/16/14 at 10:31am)9/17/14 at 6:38am by Rob Sicc 7 533started by Rob Sicc (8/7/14 at 7:02am)9/13/14 at 9:44am by smoked alaskan 15 663started by rugercpl (9/11/14 at 7:23pm)9/13/14 at 4:07am by CrazyMoon 4 770started by MichiganMatt (9/1/14 at 8:40am)9/10/14 at 12:56am by AussieBaz 6 567started by masonman1345 (1/19/11 at 7:24pm)8/30/14 at 11:08am by SB59 7 1,098started by AlbertaBBQ (8/29/14 at 4:37pm)8/30/14 at 9:36am by SB59 3 573started by poindexter (8/26/14 at 11:39pm)8/28/14 at 10:11am by PadronMan 3 305started by flowerlady (8/23/14 at 12:51pm)8/24/14 at 2:51pm by flowerlady 5 260started by MrSmoklestein (8/23/14 at 7:56am)8/24/14 at 1:08pm by Ka3mgh 1 3368/15/14 at 4:33pm by Engineco16 21 1,264started by db28472 (6/4/14 at 1:52pm)8/7/14 at 10:03am by Chef Willie 10 10,479started by Jc03 (8/5/14 at 7:21pm)8/5/14 at 9:09pm by Paprika Pal 2 649started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 1:07pm)7/27/14 at 4:14pm by Engineco16 4 251started by Royjulius (7/24/14 at 8:26am)7/27/14 at 9:42am by Royjulius 4 212started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:32am)7/27/14 at 7:58am by Rob Sicc 3 597started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:30am)7/27/14 at 7:07am by SB59 1 1,087started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 5:03pm)7/25/14 at 5:03pm by Engineco16 0 240started by Jc03 (7/18/14 at 7:11am)7/23/14 at 8:18pm by Twisted Minds 2 406started by Royjulius (7/20/14 at 12:59pm)7/20/14 at 1:12pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 356started by MrsHubert (7/20/14 at 8:39am)7/20/14 at 8:45am by CinnamonKC 1 109started by rbranstner (11/22/11 at 5:28pm)7/11/14 at 2:50pm by SmokinHessil 13 5,351started by Kernel (7/8/14 at 12:19pm)7/11/14 at 12:53pm by SmokinHessil 6 1,225started by Foog (7/7/14 at 5:31am)7/8/14 at 12:03pm by java 3 449started by BIG ARCHERY NUT (6/29/14 at 2:01pm)6/29/14 at 2:26pm by Chef Willie 1 597started by ayofarm (6/21/14 at 11:35am)6/22/14 at 12:03pm by forluvofsmoke 1 1,105started by fpmich (6/13/14 at 2:55am)6/19/14 at 1:24am by fpmich 10 2,520
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Question about smoking pulled pork boneless butt. 3 minutes ago
- › Greek Loukaniko 4 minutes ago
- › Butt & ribs 6 minutes ago
- › So what's everyone smoking this weekend? 6 minutes ago
- › Carving A Turkey 7 minutes ago
- › Remember The Fallen !! 10 minutes ago
- › Under the Sea Throwdown Winners!!! 11 minutes ago
- › Canada Goose Smoke Sausage 14 minutes ago
- › 120 gallon RF trailer build 18 minutes ago
- › Smoked Seafood Paella (Under the Sea TD) 24 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer