Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 10
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,520started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 1,035started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7671/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,180started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,129started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 304started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 385started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,074started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 349started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 151started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 733started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 269started by Marcus Killion (12/21/14 at 7:50am)12/23/14 at 3:15am by CrazyMoon 8 552started by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 565started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 453started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 450started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,26112/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,383started by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 257started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 1,012started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 645started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,435started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 1,005started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 441started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 997started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 467started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,069started by Wobblehd (11/29/14 at 1:28am)12/1/14 at 3:07pm by Wobblehd 4 1,281started by BigRoub (11/5/14 at 8:18pm)11/30/14 at 1:34pm by jerkyguy 4 880started by jerkyguy (11/24/14 at 1:47pm)11/29/14 at 3:20pm by Mike W 9 750started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 1,003started by Skeletoil (11/28/14 at 9:20pm)11/29/14 at 7:40am by themule69 1 176started by justinjames0909 (11/23/14 at 7:25am)11/29/14 at 1:05am by Mike W 11 435started by Bubbabobob (11/23/14 at 8:54pm)11/28/14 at 10:08pm by justinjames0909 2 394started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,369started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 423started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 487started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 89011/13/14 at 4:37pm by jerky nut 21 1,517started by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 697started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 701started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 678started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,690started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 318started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 8:39am)10/24/14 at 8:39am by Matt R 0 345started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/19/14 at 12:36pm)10/22/14 at 2:56pm by Bearcarver 1 308started by kinkothecarp (9/30/14 at 6:55pm)10/22/14 at 3:48am by Mike W 6 1,519started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 701started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,326
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Neighbors ever complain about smoke??? 1 minute ago
- › Let's Talk Brining! 25 minutes ago
- › Thermowork's SMOKE open box sale... $76.00 44 minutes ago
- › My 3.5 year old MES40 just broke 46 minutes ago
- › Pork Shoulder Advice 57 minutes ago
- › Questions Before Trying First Boston Butt Smoke 58 minutes ago
- › Early Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe restoration and modifications 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › help with what i did wrong? GMG Pellet 1st cook of a brisket 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Happy shopping trip. 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › New to the site 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ