Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 10
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 451started by LazyKB (9/12/14 at 10:41am)9/17/14 at 7:06am by Rob Sicc 4 338started by BobbyK (9/16/14 at 10:31am)9/17/14 at 6:38am by Rob Sicc 7 531started by Rob Sicc (8/7/14 at 7:02am)9/13/14 at 9:44am by smoked alaskan 15 652started by rugercpl (9/11/14 at 7:23pm)9/13/14 at 4:07am by CrazyMoon 4 766started by MichiganMatt (9/1/14 at 8:40am)9/10/14 at 12:56am by AussieBaz 6 567started by masonman1345 (1/19/11 at 7:24pm)8/30/14 at 11:08am by SB59 7 1,093started by AlbertaBBQ (8/29/14 at 4:37pm)8/30/14 at 9:36am by SB59 3 559started by poindexter (8/26/14 at 11:39pm)8/28/14 at 10:11am by PadronMan 3 304started by flowerlady (8/23/14 at 12:51pm)8/24/14 at 2:51pm by flowerlady 5 260started by MrSmoklestein (8/23/14 at 7:56am)8/24/14 at 1:08pm by Ka3mgh 1 3338/15/14 at 4:33pm by Engineco16 21 1,261started by db28472 (6/4/14 at 1:52pm)8/7/14 at 10:03am by Chef Willie 10 9,818started by Jc03 (8/5/14 at 7:21pm)8/5/14 at 9:09pm by Paprika Pal 2 631started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 1:07pm)7/27/14 at 4:14pm by Engineco16 4 250started by Royjulius (7/24/14 at 8:26am)7/27/14 at 9:42am by Royjulius 4 209started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:32am)7/27/14 at 7:58am by Rob Sicc 3 562started by Rob Sicc (7/22/14 at 8:30am)7/27/14 at 7:07am by SB59 1 1,054started by Engineco16 (7/25/14 at 5:03pm)7/25/14 at 5:03pm by Engineco16 0 239started by Jc03 (7/18/14 at 7:11am)7/23/14 at 8:18pm by Twisted Minds 2 403started by Royjulius (7/20/14 at 12:59pm)7/20/14 at 1:12pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 349started by MrsHubert (7/20/14 at 8:39am)7/20/14 at 8:45am by CinnamonKC 1 109started by rbranstner (11/22/11 at 5:28pm)7/11/14 at 2:50pm by SmokinHessil 13 5,276started by Kernel (7/8/14 at 12:19pm)7/11/14 at 12:53pm by SmokinHessil 6 1,190started by Foog (7/7/14 at 5:31am)7/8/14 at 12:03pm by java 3 447started by BIG ARCHERY NUT (6/29/14 at 2:01pm)6/29/14 at 2:26pm by Chef Willie 1 595started by ayofarm (6/21/14 at 11:35am)6/22/14 at 12:03pm by forluvofsmoke 1 1,083started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)6/21/14 at 10:27pm by CurtisK 15 7,479started by fpmich (6/13/14 at 2:55am)6/19/14 at 1:24am by fpmich 10 2,383started by medicman4877 (6/12/14 at 6:18am)6/18/14 at 10:08pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 6,081started by dougmays (1/15/13 at 11:00am)6/17/14 at 10:33am by Foog 10 3,285started by fpmich (6/11/14 at 3:15am)6/13/14 at 2:27am by fpmich 5 1,182started by Bill Ace 350 (6/12/14 at 8:27am)6/12/14 at 8:47am by Bill Ace 350 2 394started by Rod G15 (6/9/14 at 5:27am)6/9/14 at 3:49pm by Rod G15 2 277started by AtlantaYinzer (6/6/14 at 8:45am)6/9/14 at 8:08am by AtlantaYinzer 2 472started by crazyboy (6/8/14 at 8:32am)6/9/14 at 8:03am by DaveOmak 1 271started by horseflesh (6/7/14 at 11:38am)6/7/14 at 12:49pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 445started by h22lude (6/5/14 at 6:39pm)6/6/14 at 8:11am by smokerjoe 8 573started by sabomnim (1/31/14 at 7:06pm)6/3/14 at 6:09pm by shtrdave 5 21,111started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 12:42pm)6/3/14 at 5:07pm by wbakema 8 881started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 6:26am)5/30/14 at 8:51pm by JaxRmrJmr 12 6,635started by JP61 (5/29/14 at 8:06pm)5/30/14 at 1:21pm by JP61 8 418started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 5:55am)5/30/14 at 10:33am by SQWIB 10 2,221started by bros (5/20/14 at 1:09pm)5/21/14 at 7:53pm by forluvofsmoke 1 607started by lozzfish (5/17/14 at 1:53am)5/19/14 at 11:15am by lozzfish 5 224started by buckinducks (5/13/14 at 3:52pm)5/14/14 at 8:21pm by buckinducks 7 418started by Earthquake5683 (5/4/14 at 4:44pm)5/14/14 at 12:21am by Earthquake5683 2 321started by philfog (5/6/14 at 12:47pm)5/9/14 at 2:54pm by Phrett 3 638started by smitty387 (5/6/14 at 7:50am)5/6/14 at 9:05am by bkleinsmid 1 228started by johnnyb99 (5/1/14 at 3:10pm)5/5/14 at 9:57am by johnnyb99 2 334
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview 55 seconds ago
- › Rib Steaks in The Snow 2 minutes ago
- › First Time Smoked Corned Beef 4 minutes ago
- › Woke up and found my corned beer floating... I tossed it. Did I do... 5 minutes ago
- › cleaning your mes 30? 7 minutes ago
- › Dried venison 7 minutes ago
- › making snack sticks for the first time this weekend and a couple... 16 minutes ago
- › Cleaning? 16 minutes ago
- › Anybody ever smoke a whole bone in ribeye as prime rib? 16 minutes ago
- › Spring Brisket 18 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations