Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 10
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 257started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 1,003started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 645started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,429started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 999started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 438started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 988started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 446started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,064started by Wobblehd (11/29/14 at 1:28am)12/1/14 at 3:07pm by Wobblehd 4 1,246started by BigRoub (11/5/14 at 8:18pm)11/30/14 at 1:34pm by jerkyguy 4 836started by jerkyguy (11/24/14 at 1:47pm)11/29/14 at 3:20pm by Mike W 9 715started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 1,002started by Skeletoil (11/28/14 at 9:20pm)11/29/14 at 7:40am by themule69 1 172started by justinjames0909 (11/23/14 at 7:25am)11/29/14 at 1:05am by Mike W 11 433started by Bubbabobob (11/23/14 at 8:54pm)11/28/14 at 10:08pm by justinjames0909 2 391started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,360started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 422started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 485started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 88711/13/14 at 4:37pm by jerky nut 21 1,483started by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 695started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 690started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 675started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,602started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 316started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 8:39am)10/24/14 at 8:39am by Matt R 0 345started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/19/14 at 12:36pm)10/22/14 at 2:56pm by Bearcarver 1 307started by kinkothecarp (9/30/14 at 6:55pm)10/22/14 at 3:48am by Mike W 6 1,515started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 688started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,306started by TheNevadanStig (10/8/14 at 2:07pm)10/8/14 at 4:26pm by TheNevadanStig 12 666started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/5/14 at 5:41am)10/6/14 at 3:14pm by c farmer 6 495started by TheSwede (7/20/14 at 1:33pm)10/1/14 at 9:13pm by kinkothecarp 1 539started by AeR0 (8/9/14 at 5:59pm)9/30/14 at 10:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 9 1,184started by smoked alaskan (9/14/14 at 6:46pm)9/30/14 at 7:01pm by kinkothecarp 8 832started by simmons5 (9/30/14 at 8:57am)9/30/14 at 6:19pm by kinkothecarp 1 262started by rustylikeafox (9/29/14 at 11:13am)9/30/14 at 7:50am by riverrat3 4 408started by CarbonFiber101 (9/28/14 at 11:53am)9/28/14 at 4:58pm by Bearcarver 3 203started by smoked alaskan (9/25/14 at 10:01pm)9/26/14 at 7:14am by Disco 3 747started by smoked alaskan (9/23/14 at 6:37pm)9/25/14 at 10:40am by smoked alaskan 5 351started by smokinadam (9/20/14 at 12:07pm)9/23/14 at 3:30pm by CrazyMoon 9 293started by GrumpySmoke (9/21/14 at 11:07am)9/21/14 at 11:45am by GrumpySmoke 2 478started by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 452started by LazyKB (9/12/14 at 10:41am)9/17/14 at 7:06am by Rob Sicc 4 339started by BobbyK (9/16/14 at 10:31am)9/17/14 at 6:38am by Rob Sicc 7 534started by Rob Sicc (8/7/14 at 7:02am)9/13/14 at 9:44am by smoked alaskan 15 668started by rugercpl (9/11/14 at 7:23pm)9/13/14 at 4:07am by CrazyMoon 4 775started by MichiganMatt (9/1/14 at 8:40am)9/10/14 at 12:56am by AussieBaz 6 567started by masonman1345 (1/19/11 at 7:24pm)8/30/14 at 11:08am by SB59 7 1,101
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › July 4th, 2017 Charcoal Sale has started 4 minutes ago
- › Man quality is EXPENSIVE!!!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Yoder YS640 on competition trail? 9 minutes ago
- › First smoker build reverse flow any suggestions???? 11 minutes ago
- › Converting my masterbuilt pro dual fuel smoker to digital/electric... 19 minutes ago
- › brisket injection 20 minutes ago
- › Who all has smoking plans this weekend? I do! I do! 23 minutes ago
- › Painting grates/supports for fire pits 25 minutes ago
- › 120 gallon RF trailer build 31 minutes ago
- › Greetings / Compressor Tank Build 37 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS