Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by MathMan (12/25/14 at 5:45pm)2/16/15 at 8:00pm by unkerdas 11 1,610started by jwcnj4502 (2/15/15 at 1:27pm)2/16/15 at 2:51pm by CrazyMoon 3 4912/14/15 at 5:58am by gary s 23 1,141started by wagdog (2/1/15 at 9:36pm)2/2/15 at 8:09am by wagdog 4 438started by Bodine (1/29/15 at 2:18pm)2/1/15 at 5:01am by CrazyMoon 3 1,172started by dirtsailor2003 (1/29/15 at 7:58pm)2/1/15 at 5:00am by CrazyMoon 8 3621/30/15 at 9:12am by setrakian2014 32 1,424started by AeR0 (7/23/14 at 7:01pm)1/29/15 at 7:40pm by fire in the hole 8 6,235started by kfin (1/27/15 at 5:11pm)1/29/15 at 10:01am by ElginPlowboy 2 308started by Baldar5 (1/28/15 at 8:35pm)1/29/15 at 2:37am by CrazyMoon 1 516started by nesmokingchad (1/27/15 at 8:23pm)1/28/15 at 8:02am by nesmokingchad 2 194started by Bodine (1/25/15 at 11:54am)1/25/15 at 2:54pm by themule69 5 376started by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 238started by Mark Williams (1/16/15 at 9:24am)1/19/15 at 6:32pm by TheChefSLC 3 363started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 963started by DebW (1/14/15 at 3:22pm)1/14/15 at 5:59pm by DebW 2 652started by Adam D (1/14/15 at 10:49am)1/14/15 at 12:31pm by timberjet 4 323started by Adam D (1/12/15 at 9:21pm)1/13/15 at 9:32pm by Adam D 6 910started by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 417started by Bodine (1/11/15 at 4:02pm)1/12/15 at 2:22pm by PattyQ 4 698started by Bill Ace 350 (1/8/15 at 7:44am)1/10/15 at 10:26am by Bill Ace 350 13 749started by Haywire Haywood (1/7/15 at 2:22pm)1/9/15 at 5:48pm by Haywire Haywood 6 743started by Jeff Sedlmayr (1/8/15 at 12:30pm)1/8/15 at 2:26pm by CrazyMoon 5 302started by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,511started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 927started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7621/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,132started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,056started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 298started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 365started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,060started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 281started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 146started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 731started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 264started by Marcus Killion (12/21/14 at 7:50am)12/23/14 at 3:15am by CrazyMoon 8 546started by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 550started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 450started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 439started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,23212/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,357started by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 253started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 975started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 642started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,421started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 973started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 434started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 938started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 391
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Pork Tenderloin Porketta 33 seconds ago
- › Hello 37 seconds ago
- › Canadian Bacon dry cured Finished sliced 2 minutes ago
- › New to forum been smoking a little bit. 3 minutes ago
- › Brand New to Smoking 3 minutes ago
- › Mary had a little lamb 7 minutes ago
- › Hi all! 9 minutes ago
- › Hello from the SF BAY AREA 10 minutes ago
- › New from New Jersey 11 minutes ago
- › Hey All 12 minutes ago
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine