Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by apprentice (3/18/15 at 6:22pm)3/30/15 at 10:25pm by DaveOmak 7 1,200started by jr0d (3/30/15 at 3:23pm)3/30/15 at 6:41pm by One eyed Jack 5 593started by Ciaran Doherty (3/29/15 at 10:48am)3/30/15 at 4:12pm by eman 4 683started by DukeBurger (3/28/15 at 8:42am)3/29/15 at 2:19pm by CrazyMoon 9 541started by Disco (3/22/15 at 4:29pm)3/24/15 at 12:45pm by Welshrarebit 14 656started by Disco (3/15/15 at 3:12pm)3/18/15 at 8:41am by Disco 15 703started by bradleyj (3/14/15 at 12:14pm)3/15/15 at 8:35am by BandCollector 2 603started by clark337 (3/13/15 at 4:57pm)3/15/15 at 8:16am by CrazyMoon 3 352started by baresnake (2/17/15 at 4:42pm)3/14/15 at 7:55am by DukeBurger 6 338started by clark337 (3/9/15 at 10:04pm)3/13/15 at 12:18pm by clark337 5 414started by MinneasotaSmker (3/2/15 at 2:57pm)3/2/15 at 9:51pm by forluvofsmoke 1 480started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)2/26/15 at 5:24pm by TexasInfidel 13 537started by Stayhot (2/25/15 at 7:09pm)2/26/15 at 5:00am by gary s 5 231started by FrankG21 (2/19/15 at 7:34am)2/19/15 at 3:56pm by gary s 4 327started by Adam D (2/16/15 at 7:08pm)2/17/15 at 12:01am by cmayna 4 729started by MathMan (12/25/14 at 5:45pm)2/16/15 at 8:00pm by unkerdas 11 1,619started by jwcnj4502 (2/15/15 at 1:27pm)2/16/15 at 2:51pm by CrazyMoon 3 4942/14/15 at 5:58am by gary s 23 1,151started by wagdog (2/1/15 at 9:36pm)2/2/15 at 8:09am by wagdog 4 440started by Bodine (1/29/15 at 2:18pm)2/1/15 at 5:01am by CrazyMoon 3 1,176started by dirtsailor2003 (1/29/15 at 7:58pm)2/1/15 at 5:00am by CrazyMoon 8 3641/30/15 at 9:12am by setrakian2014 32 1,437started by AeR0 (7/23/14 at 7:01pm)1/29/15 at 7:40pm by fire in the hole 8 6,345started by kfin (1/27/15 at 5:11pm)1/29/15 at 10:01am by ElginPlowboy 2 311started by Baldar5 (1/28/15 at 8:35pm)1/29/15 at 2:37am by CrazyMoon 1 522started by nesmokingchad (1/27/15 at 8:23pm)1/28/15 at 8:02am by nesmokingchad 2 195started by Bodine (1/25/15 at 11:54am)1/25/15 at 2:54pm by themule69 5 376started by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 239started by Mark Williams (1/16/15 at 9:24am)1/19/15 at 6:32pm by TheChefSLC 3 366started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 969started by DebW (1/14/15 at 3:22pm)1/14/15 at 5:59pm by DebW 2 663started by Adam D (1/14/15 at 10:49am)1/14/15 at 12:31pm by timberjet 4 324started by Adam D (1/12/15 at 9:21pm)1/13/15 at 9:32pm by Adam D 6 911started by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 425started by Bodine (1/11/15 at 4:02pm)1/12/15 at 2:22pm by PattyQ 4 719started by Bill Ace 350 (1/8/15 at 7:44am)1/10/15 at 10:26am by Bill Ace 350 13 756started by Haywire Haywood (1/7/15 at 2:22pm)1/9/15 at 5:48pm by Haywire Haywood 6 743started by Jeff Sedlmayr (1/8/15 at 12:30pm)1/8/15 at 2:26pm by CrazyMoon 5 302started by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,514started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 956started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7621/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,146started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,071started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 300started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 368started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,062started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 294started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 148started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 731started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 268
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Winston-Salem/Greensboro here! 2 minutes ago
- › Getting discouraged. Salmon fiasco and Canadian bacon maybe. 20 minutes ago
- › HELP with breakfast link casings 32 minutes ago
- › Frozen fresh ham 41 minutes ago
- › pork loin for sausage 43 minutes ago
- › Shirley fabrication question 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Big Poppa UDS Build with Pics 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › B-Day Chicken Dinner Winner 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Rotisserie Lamb 1 hour, 56 minutes ago
- › Rec Tec or Grilla? 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives