Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Pellet Boy (6/14/15 at 2:48pm)6/17/15 at 3:25pm by CrazyMoon 2 198started by jerkyguy (6/9/15 at 2:17pm)6/14/15 at 9:51am by CrazyMoon 2 549started by rhino141 (6/3/15 at 7:25pm)6/5/15 at 3:34pm by rhino141 2 8856/3/15 at 6:39pm by shimauma 21 14,5035/31/15 at 11:49am by Whitefish 35 20,911started by cp6485 (1/19/15 at 5:20pm)5/31/15 at 8:22am by Hike 9 7,935started by onneeye (5/28/15 at 6:11am)5/30/15 at 12:49am by DaveOmak 4 675started by Dartguy (4/26/15 at 3:35pm)5/27/15 at 2:46pm by driedstick 2 306started by nepas (5/18/15 at 8:36am)5/27/15 at 2:38pm by driedstick 2 364started by Fancy Hands (7/9/11 at 8:41am)5/20/15 at 4:09am by David Sinanan 5 2,208started by Shaneyb72 (5/17/15 at 3:31pm)5/18/15 at 8:05pm by PuffOfSmoke 7 8005/4/15 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 23 1,116started by nepas (4/26/15 at 12:34pm)4/26/15 at 12:41pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 162started by thehoz (4/18/15 at 6:38am)4/25/15 at 5:25pm by beartoo 5 1,059started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 957started by panammaniac (4/16/15 at 10:27am)4/21/15 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 7 6154/13/15 at 9:43am by allanyork 38 1,312started by thehoz (4/12/15 at 5:27am)4/12/15 at 8:39am by thehoz 8 2,265started by robo2084 (4/9/15 at 3:57pm)4/9/15 at 4:05pm by nepas 1 371started by DukeBurger (4/1/15 at 5:39pm)4/2/15 at 4:56pm by DukeBurger 7 535started by wagdog (2/22/15 at 9:11pm)3/31/15 at 8:44am by darby1 8 4233/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 947started by apprentice (3/18/15 at 6:22pm)3/30/15 at 10:25pm by DaveOmak 7 1,204started by jr0d (3/30/15 at 3:23pm)3/30/15 at 6:41pm by One eyed Jack 5 593started by Ciaran Doherty (3/29/15 at 10:48am)3/30/15 at 4:12pm by eman 4 690started by DukeBurger (3/28/15 at 8:42am)3/29/15 at 2:19pm by CrazyMoon 9 542started by Disco (3/22/15 at 4:29pm)3/24/15 at 12:45pm by Welshrarebit 14 680started by Disco (3/15/15 at 3:12pm)3/18/15 at 8:41am by Disco 15 716started by bradleyj (3/14/15 at 12:14pm)3/15/15 at 8:35am by BandCollector 2 627started by clark337 (3/13/15 at 4:57pm)3/15/15 at 8:16am by CrazyMoon 3 354started by baresnake (2/17/15 at 4:42pm)3/14/15 at 7:55am by DukeBurger 6 342started by clark337 (3/9/15 at 10:04pm)3/13/15 at 12:18pm by clark337 5 416started by MinneasotaSmker (3/2/15 at 2:57pm)3/2/15 at 9:51pm by forluvofsmoke 1 480started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)2/26/15 at 5:24pm by TexasInfidel 13 545started by Stayhot (2/25/15 at 7:09pm)2/26/15 at 5:00am by gary s 5 232started by FrankG21 (2/19/15 at 7:34am)2/19/15 at 3:56pm by gary s 4 333started by Adam D (2/16/15 at 7:08pm)2/17/15 at 12:01am by cmayna 4 732started by MathMan (12/25/14 at 5:45pm)2/16/15 at 8:00pm by unkerdas 11 1,637started by jwcnj4502 (2/15/15 at 1:27pm)2/16/15 at 2:51pm by CrazyMoon 3 5002/14/15 at 5:58am by gary s 23 1,158started by wagdog (2/1/15 at 9:36pm)2/2/15 at 8:09am by wagdog 4 443started by Bodine (1/29/15 at 2:18pm)2/1/15 at 5:01am by CrazyMoon 3 1,177started by dirtsailor2003 (1/29/15 at 7:58pm)2/1/15 at 5:00am by CrazyMoon 8 3701/30/15 at 9:12am by setrakian2014 32 1,447started by AeR0 (7/23/14 at 7:01pm)1/29/15 at 7:40pm by fire in the hole 8 6,558started by kfin (1/27/15 at 5:11pm)1/29/15 at 10:01am by ElginPlowboy 2 313started by Baldar5 (1/28/15 at 8:35pm)1/29/15 at 2:37am by CrazyMoon 1 527started by nesmokingchad (1/27/15 at 8:23pm)1/28/15 at 8:02am by nesmokingchad 2 195started by Bodine (1/25/15 at 11:54am)1/25/15 at 2:54pm by themule69 5 377started by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 241
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New to SMF 52 seconds ago
- › Storing stock 1 minute ago
- › Vacation week pork butt w/QView 3 minutes ago
- › New member smoking out of Cleveland! 4 minutes ago
- › Trot smoking 4 minutes ago
- › New smoker from arizona 5 minutes ago
- › First Brisket and Steak Question 6 minutes ago
- › Greetings from NJ 7 minutes ago
- › Back in from the Upstate 8 minutes ago
- › Kettle Burgers For The Sous Chefs Birthday !! 10 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...