Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Ladelnutts (10/23/15 at 7:33pm)10/26/15 at 7:10am by Ladelnutts 2 58810/23/15 at 2:06pm by 4PoGo7 86 60,83410/23/15 at 3:58am by Grabber 32 63,995started by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 658started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,587started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 371started by theblaz (10/5/15 at 11:29am)10/5/15 at 12:31pm by dirtsailor2003 3 282started by RonS (10/5/15 at 10:01am)10/5/15 at 11:34am by dirtsailor2003 3 1,369started by Anthony Gervais (10/1/15 at 8:34pm)10/4/15 at 5:08am by Grabber 7 921started by RonS (10/3/15 at 8:54am)10/3/15 at 11:23am by RonS 3 288started by MrFlufalufagus (5/29/15 at 9:11am)9/30/15 at 4:19pm by Asparky 3 443started by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,936started by Dingo007 (9/28/15 at 5:37pm)9/29/15 at 6:56am by dirtsailor2003 3 515started by shaynadad (9/24/15 at 5:39pm)9/24/15 at 5:39pm by shaynadad 0 786started by smokinginsf (9/23/15 at 10:55am)9/23/15 at 4:02pm by 2grit 3 497started by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 384started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 347started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 303started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8909/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 475started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 167started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 300started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 321started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 140started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 137started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 328Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 191started by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 2,317started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 764started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 403started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 322started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 994started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 480started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 532started by Bradysyde (8/17/15 at 4:40pm)8/18/15 at 2:56pm by dirtsailor2003 6 1,223started by RonS (8/12/15 at 10:52am)8/17/15 at 2:32pm by sfprankster 17 516started by RonS (8/16/15 at 9:50am)8/17/15 at 10:47am by RonS 11 429started by muralboy (8/8/15 at 12:58pm)8/17/15 at 10:03am by RonS 5 579started by nunantal (8/12/15 at 6:25am)8/12/15 at 6:25am by nunantal 0 211started by Ndwildbill (8/8/15 at 10:36am)8/11/15 at 5:20pm by vwaldoguy 5 311started by bumblebee (8/7/15 at 6:23pm)8/10/15 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 4 311started by sawinredneck (8/5/15 at 4:26pm)8/7/15 at 1:51pm by CrazyMoon 4 301started by lvibe (8/3/15 at 10:43am)8/3/15 at 1:25pm by twoalpha 2 360started by Beaverhunter (8/1/15 at 5:09pm)8/2/15 at 6:23pm by Beaverhunter 2 415started by Smoking AJ (7/26/15 at 9:13pm)7/27/15 at 3:40pm by DaveOmak 1 419started by jcguptill (7/14/15 at 5:18pm)7/23/15 at 3:45am by boykjo 6 584started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,059started by lateralincisor (7/14/15 at 5:22am)7/14/15 at 5:22am by lateralincisor 0 906started by migraine (7/11/15 at 6:58pm)7/11/15 at 9:18pm by DaveOmak 1 224
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › My Wood and Concrete Block Smokehouse build 1 minute ago
- › Wanting to build smokehouse 1 minute ago
- › Smoker dessert, Cobbler! 4 minutes ago
- › Bob's MES 30 Analog build 5 minutes ago
- › Keeping your sanity amidst the insanity 5 minutes ago
- › This beauty 6 minutes ago
- › Smoked Meatloaf 8 minutes ago
- › FUNNY 8 minutes ago
- › First Pork Butt and Pulling My Hair Out 18 minutes ago
- › August 2017 Throwdown - Yardbird Voting Thread 20 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods