Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 384started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 345started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 302started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8889/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 473started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 166started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 295started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 321started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 139started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 137started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 327Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 191started by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 2,200started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 763started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 403started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 322started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 993started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 480started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 528started by Bradysyde (8/17/15 at 4:40pm)8/18/15 at 2:56pm by dirtsailor2003 6 1,208started by RonS (8/12/15 at 10:52am)8/17/15 at 2:32pm by sfprankster 17 515started by RonS (8/16/15 at 9:50am)8/17/15 at 10:47am by RonS 11 429started by muralboy (8/8/15 at 12:58pm)8/17/15 at 10:03am by RonS 5 579started by nunantal (8/12/15 at 6:25am)8/12/15 at 6:25am by nunantal 0 211started by Ndwildbill (8/8/15 at 10:36am)8/11/15 at 5:20pm by vwaldoguy 5 311started by bumblebee (8/7/15 at 6:23pm)8/10/15 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 4 311started by sawinredneck (8/5/15 at 4:26pm)8/7/15 at 1:51pm by CrazyMoon 4 300started by lvibe (8/3/15 at 10:43am)8/3/15 at 1:25pm by twoalpha 2 360started by Beaverhunter (8/1/15 at 5:09pm)8/2/15 at 6:23pm by Beaverhunter 2 415started by Smoking AJ (7/26/15 at 9:13pm)7/27/15 at 3:40pm by DaveOmak 1 419started by jcguptill (7/14/15 at 5:18pm)7/23/15 at 3:45am by boykjo 6 583started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,058started by lateralincisor (7/14/15 at 5:22am)7/14/15 at 5:22am by lateralincisor 0 878started by migraine (7/11/15 at 6:58pm)7/11/15 at 9:18pm by DaveOmak 1 224started by onneeye (5/29/15 at 7:42pm)7/11/15 at 5:32pm by onneeye 4 781started by GimmeHarmony (7/11/15 at 9:39am)7/11/15 at 5:14pm by GimmeHarmony 7 438started by bobdog46 (6/26/15 at 9:04am)7/8/15 at 9:08pm by davidabrown 6 2,351started by Bubbabobob (6/28/15 at 6:51pm)7/1/15 at 12:14pm by Bubbabobob 3 1,453started by CrazyMoon (6/25/15 at 2:52pm)6/26/15 at 9:37am by driedstick 4 325started by mdacs (8/2/10 at 6:16pm)6/25/15 at 11:43pm by Chef Krimlar 4 4,971started by Pellet Boy (6/14/15 at 2:48pm)6/17/15 at 3:25pm by CrazyMoon 2 199started by jerkyguy (6/9/15 at 2:17pm)6/14/15 at 9:51am by CrazyMoon 2 549started by rhino141 (6/3/15 at 7:25pm)6/5/15 at 3:34pm by rhino141 2 8906/3/15 at 6:39pm by shimauma 21 14,9135/31/15 at 11:49am by Whitefish 35 21,458started by cp6485 (1/19/15 at 5:20pm)5/31/15 at 8:22am by Hike 9 8,395started by onneeye (5/28/15 at 6:11am)5/30/15 at 12:49am by DaveOmak 4 675started by Dartguy (4/26/15 at 3:35pm)5/27/15 at 2:46pm by driedstick 2 308started by nepas (5/18/15 at 8:36am)5/27/15 at 2:38pm by driedstick 2 364
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Mettwurst & Cheese 14 seconds ago
- › First Charcuterie Done !! 1 minute ago
- › Meat Curing Chamber Question 2 minutes ago
- › First Beer Can Chicken 4 minutes ago
- › My first attempt at a build. 5 minutes ago
- › No Wrap Ribs 12 minutes ago
- › Separated brisket. 19 minutes ago
- › Grilled Steelhead Trout 26 minutes ago
- › Get together in Pa **** date has been set. Oct 6-8 ****** 30 minutes ago
- › Neighbors ever complain about smoke??? 40 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ