Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 8
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by onneeye (5/28/15 at 6:11am)5/30/15 at 12:49am by DaveOmak 4 675started by Dartguy (4/26/15 at 3:35pm)5/27/15 at 2:46pm by driedstick 2 306started by nepas (5/18/15 at 8:36am)5/27/15 at 2:38pm by driedstick 2 363started by Fancy Hands (7/9/11 at 8:41am)5/20/15 at 4:09am by David Sinanan 5 2,182started by Shaneyb72 (5/17/15 at 3:31pm)5/18/15 at 8:05pm by PuffOfSmoke 7 8005/4/15 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 23 1,113started by nepas (4/26/15 at 12:34pm)4/26/15 at 12:41pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 161started by thehoz (4/18/15 at 6:38am)4/25/15 at 5:25pm by beartoo 5 1,054started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 937started by panammaniac (4/16/15 at 10:27am)4/21/15 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 7 6144/13/15 at 9:43am by allanyork 38 1,310started by thehoz (4/12/15 at 5:27am)4/12/15 at 8:39am by thehoz 8 2,189started by robo2084 (4/9/15 at 3:57pm)4/9/15 at 4:05pm by nepas 1 371started by DukeBurger (4/1/15 at 5:39pm)4/2/15 at 4:56pm by DukeBurger 7 530started by wagdog (2/22/15 at 9:11pm)3/31/15 at 8:44am by darby1 8 4223/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 946started by apprentice (3/18/15 at 6:22pm)3/30/15 at 10:25pm by DaveOmak 7 1,203started by jr0d (3/30/15 at 3:23pm)3/30/15 at 6:41pm by One eyed Jack 5 593started by Ciaran Doherty (3/29/15 at 10:48am)3/30/15 at 4:12pm by eman 4 685started by DukeBurger (3/28/15 at 8:42am)3/29/15 at 2:19pm by CrazyMoon 9 542started by Disco (3/22/15 at 4:29pm)3/24/15 at 12:45pm by Welshrarebit 14 665started by Disco (3/15/15 at 3:12pm)3/18/15 at 8:41am by Disco 15 712started by bradleyj (3/14/15 at 12:14pm)3/15/15 at 8:35am by BandCollector 2 621started by clark337 (3/13/15 at 4:57pm)3/15/15 at 8:16am by CrazyMoon 3 353started by baresnake (2/17/15 at 4:42pm)3/14/15 at 7:55am by DukeBurger 6 338started by clark337 (3/9/15 at 10:04pm)3/13/15 at 12:18pm by clark337 5 416started by MinneasotaSmker (3/2/15 at 2:57pm)3/2/15 at 9:51pm by forluvofsmoke 1 480started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)2/26/15 at 5:24pm by TexasInfidel 13 541started by Stayhot (2/25/15 at 7:09pm)2/26/15 at 5:00am by gary s 5 232started by FrankG21 (2/19/15 at 7:34am)2/19/15 at 3:56pm by gary s 4 329started by Adam D (2/16/15 at 7:08pm)2/17/15 at 12:01am by cmayna 4 731started by MathMan (12/25/14 at 5:45pm)2/16/15 at 8:00pm by unkerdas 11 1,627started by jwcnj4502 (2/15/15 at 1:27pm)2/16/15 at 2:51pm by CrazyMoon 3 4992/14/15 at 5:58am by gary s 23 1,151started by wagdog (2/1/15 at 9:36pm)2/2/15 at 8:09am by wagdog 4 441started by Bodine (1/29/15 at 2:18pm)2/1/15 at 5:01am by CrazyMoon 3 1,176started by dirtsailor2003 (1/29/15 at 7:58pm)2/1/15 at 5:00am by CrazyMoon 8 3641/30/15 at 9:12am by setrakian2014 32 1,440started by AeR0 (7/23/14 at 7:01pm)1/29/15 at 7:40pm by fire in the hole 8 6,450started by kfin (1/27/15 at 5:11pm)1/29/15 at 10:01am by ElginPlowboy 2 311started by Baldar5 (1/28/15 at 8:35pm)1/29/15 at 2:37am by CrazyMoon 1 523started by nesmokingchad (1/27/15 at 8:23pm)1/28/15 at 8:02am by nesmokingchad 2 195started by Bodine (1/25/15 at 11:54am)1/25/15 at 2:54pm by themule69 5 377started by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 240started by Mark Williams (1/16/15 at 9:24am)1/19/15 at 6:32pm by TheChefSLC 3 367started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 970started by DebW (1/14/15 at 3:22pm)1/14/15 at 5:59pm by DebW 2 669started by Adam D (1/14/15 at 10:49am)1/14/15 at 12:31pm by timberjet 4 324started by Adam D (1/12/15 at 9:21pm)1/13/15 at 9:32pm by Adam D 6 911started by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 430
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Oregon by way of California 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Good "low and slow" technique for ribs that I can't attend for... 2 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Smoker lockdown 3 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Simple ribs 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Is young oak good for smoking. 10" diameter 20' tall 3 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Cutting beef bones lengthwise 3 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Streaky bacon on the Smokin-It#3 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Stocking up on pork butts! 3 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Prime Sirloin Steaks 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 3 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients