Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 7
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Views11/24/15 at 10:57am by FloridaSteve 34 2,850started by Outtabbq757 (11/14/15 at 9:44am)11/20/15 at 10:47pm by Disco 8 833started by Canadianbacon (1/18/14 at 12:30pm)11/20/15 at 11:32am by Burl Stotts 13 24,373started by eightythree (11/12/15 at 12:16pm)11/19/15 at 9:23am by dirtsailor2003 4 1,583started by eightythree (11/18/15 at 5:20pm)11/19/15 at 5:24am by DaveOmak 6 698started by lvibe (11/16/15 at 3:30pm)11/18/15 at 6:41pm by smokinsomethin 4 411started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:39am)11/14/15 at 8:39am by JuzMeBay 0 148started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:35am)11/14/15 at 8:35am by JuzMeBay 0 93started by theblaz (11/7/15 at 12:02pm)11/12/15 at 11:45am by Foamheart 8 405started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 952started by muralboy (11/7/15 at 7:50am)11/8/15 at 7:27am by dirtsailor2003 6 321started by nunantal (10/30/15 at 12:57pm)10/31/15 at 4:43am by nunantal 2 1,133started by Humdinger (10/28/15 at 1:13pm)10/29/15 at 9:43am by Humdinger 5 1,17110/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,038started by MossyMO (10/24/15 at 12:02pm)10/26/15 at 7:15pm by ND16Bulldog 9 922started by Ladelnutts (10/23/15 at 7:33pm)10/26/15 at 7:10am by Ladelnutts 2 58510/23/15 at 2:06pm by 4PoGo7 86 60,18510/23/15 at 3:58am by Grabber 32 61,358started by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 652started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,577started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 366started by theblaz (10/5/15 at 11:29am)10/5/15 at 12:31pm by dirtsailor2003 3 282started by RonS (10/5/15 at 10:01am)10/5/15 at 11:34am by dirtsailor2003 3 1,344started by Anthony Gervais (10/1/15 at 8:34pm)10/4/15 at 5:08am by Grabber 7 914started by RonS (10/3/15 at 8:54am)10/3/15 at 11:23am by RonS 3 287started by MrFlufalufagus (5/29/15 at 9:11am)9/30/15 at 4:19pm by Asparky 3 373started by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,770started by Dingo007 (9/28/15 at 5:37pm)9/29/15 at 6:56am by dirtsailor2003 3 510started by shaynadad (9/24/15 at 5:39pm)9/24/15 at 5:39pm by shaynadad 0 780started by smokinginsf (9/23/15 at 10:55am)9/23/15 at 4:02pm by 2grit 3 493started by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 381started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 342started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 294started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8889/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 473started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 165started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 294started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 321started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 139started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 137started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 326Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 191started by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 1,991started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 759started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 399started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 322started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 992started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 477started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 525
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Just checking English to Americian ingrediants on a bacon run 20 seconds ago
- › Chicken thighs- does time between brine and smoker/grill matter? 6 minutes ago
- › Pecan grilled chicken legs 9 minutes ago
- › Thank You SMF Members 10 minutes ago
- › Hey all, new here... 17 minutes ago
- › Maker's Mark Whiskey Substitute. 19 minutes ago
- › Mystery beer 31 minutes ago
- › Question on curing bacon 32 minutes ago
- › Pork Ribs 32 minutes ago
- › Heard of Christmas in July? We had Thanksgiving in June! 34 minutes ago
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS