Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 7
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,652started by Dingo007 (9/28/15 at 5:37pm)9/29/15 at 6:56am by dirtsailor2003 3 505started by shaynadad (9/24/15 at 5:39pm)9/24/15 at 5:39pm by shaynadad 0 778started by smokinginsf (9/23/15 at 10:55am)9/23/15 at 4:02pm by 2grit 3 489started by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 380started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 339started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 288started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8849/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 467started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 161started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 289started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 319started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 135started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 137started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 320Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 191started by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 1,756started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 756started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 399started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 322started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 984started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 474started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 523started by Bradysyde (8/17/15 at 4:40pm)8/18/15 at 2:56pm by dirtsailor2003 6 1,134started by RonS (8/12/15 at 10:52am)8/17/15 at 2:32pm by sfprankster 17 512started by RonS (8/16/15 at 9:50am)8/17/15 at 10:47am by RonS 11 428started by muralboy (8/8/15 at 12:58pm)8/17/15 at 10:03am by RonS 5 572started by nunantal (8/12/15 at 6:25am)8/12/15 at 6:25am by nunantal 0 208started by Ndwildbill (8/8/15 at 10:36am)8/11/15 at 5:20pm by vwaldoguy 5 304started by bumblebee (8/7/15 at 6:23pm)8/10/15 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 4 304started by sawinredneck (8/5/15 at 4:26pm)8/7/15 at 1:51pm by CrazyMoon 4 300started by lvibe (8/3/15 at 10:43am)8/3/15 at 1:25pm by twoalpha 2 353started by Beaverhunter (8/1/15 at 5:09pm)8/2/15 at 6:23pm by Beaverhunter 2 408started by Smoking AJ (7/26/15 at 9:13pm)7/27/15 at 3:40pm by DaveOmak 1 412started by jcguptill (7/14/15 at 5:18pm)7/23/15 at 3:45am by boykjo 6 580started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,047started by lateralincisor (7/14/15 at 5:22am)7/14/15 at 5:22am by lateralincisor 0 807started by migraine (7/11/15 at 6:58pm)7/11/15 at 9:18pm by DaveOmak 1 222started by onneeye (5/29/15 at 7:42pm)7/11/15 at 5:32pm by onneeye 4 577started by GimmeHarmony (7/11/15 at 9:39am)7/11/15 at 5:14pm by GimmeHarmony 7 437started by bobdog46 (6/26/15 at 9:04am)7/8/15 at 9:08pm by davidabrown 6 2,095started by Bubbabobob (6/28/15 at 6:51pm)7/1/15 at 12:14pm by Bubbabobob 3 1,226started by CrazyMoon (6/25/15 at 2:52pm)6/26/15 at 9:37am by driedstick 4 323started by mdacs (8/2/10 at 6:16pm)6/25/15 at 11:43pm by Chef Krimlar 4 4,834started by Pellet Boy (6/14/15 at 2:48pm)6/17/15 at 3:25pm by CrazyMoon 2 197started by jerkyguy (6/9/15 at 2:17pm)6/14/15 at 9:51am by CrazyMoon 2 548started by rhino141 (6/3/15 at 7:25pm)6/5/15 at 3:34pm by rhino141 2 8846/3/15 at 6:39pm by shimauma 21 14,3545/31/15 at 11:49am by Whitefish 35 20,742
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Dutch's Smoked Shredded Beef Enchiladas 21 minutes ago
- › New to smoking 28 minutes ago
- › Smoked Chuck tender roasts 30 minutes ago
- › My First Smoked Brisket 34 minutes ago
- › Pork Butt - Just relax and let the smoker and pork butt do its thang 39 minutes ago
- › Chipotle time 42 minutes ago
- › Confessions of things I haven't done... 43 minutes ago
- › Umai --- Pepperoni-- bagged ----tagged and ready to hang 46 minutes ago
- › What is this film on the outside of my casings? 56 minutes ago
- › Hello! Another one from Western Colorado! 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...