Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 7
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 1,582started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 755started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 397started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 320started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 979started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 474started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 522started by Bradysyde (8/17/15 at 4:40pm)8/18/15 at 2:56pm by dirtsailor2003 6 1,123started by RonS (8/12/15 at 10:52am)8/17/15 at 2:32pm by sfprankster 17 510started by RonS (8/16/15 at 9:50am)8/17/15 at 10:47am by RonS 11 428started by muralboy (8/8/15 at 12:58pm)8/17/15 at 10:03am by RonS 5 571started by nunantal (8/12/15 at 6:25am)8/12/15 at 6:25am by nunantal 0 208started by Ndwildbill (8/8/15 at 10:36am)8/11/15 at 5:20pm by vwaldoguy 5 303started by bumblebee (8/7/15 at 6:23pm)8/10/15 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 4 301started by sawinredneck (8/5/15 at 4:26pm)8/7/15 at 1:51pm by CrazyMoon 4 300started by lvibe (8/3/15 at 10:43am)8/3/15 at 1:25pm by twoalpha 2 350started by Beaverhunter (8/1/15 at 5:09pm)8/2/15 at 6:23pm by Beaverhunter 2 406started by Smoking AJ (7/26/15 at 9:13pm)7/27/15 at 3:40pm by DaveOmak 1 411started by jcguptill (7/14/15 at 5:18pm)7/23/15 at 3:45am by boykjo 6 579started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,041started by lateralincisor (7/14/15 at 5:22am)7/14/15 at 5:22am by lateralincisor 0 778started by migraine (7/11/15 at 6:58pm)7/11/15 at 9:18pm by DaveOmak 1 222started by onneeye (5/29/15 at 7:42pm)7/11/15 at 5:32pm by onneeye 4 539started by GimmeHarmony (7/11/15 at 9:39am)7/11/15 at 5:14pm by GimmeHarmony 7 436started by bobdog46 (6/26/15 at 9:04am)7/8/15 at 9:08pm by davidabrown 6 1,990started by Bubbabobob (6/28/15 at 6:51pm)7/1/15 at 12:14pm by Bubbabobob 3 1,152started by CrazyMoon (6/25/15 at 2:52pm)6/26/15 at 9:37am by driedstick 4 323started by mdacs (8/2/10 at 6:16pm)6/25/15 at 11:43pm by Chef Krimlar 4 4,781started by Pellet Boy (6/14/15 at 2:48pm)6/17/15 at 3:25pm by CrazyMoon 2 194started by jerkyguy (6/9/15 at 2:17pm)6/14/15 at 9:51am by CrazyMoon 2 548started by rhino141 (6/3/15 at 7:25pm)6/5/15 at 3:34pm by rhino141 2 8816/3/15 at 6:39pm by shimauma 21 14,2335/31/15 at 11:49am by Whitefish 35 20,446started by cp6485 (1/19/15 at 5:20pm)5/31/15 at 8:22am by Hike 9 7,561started by onneeye (5/28/15 at 6:11am)5/30/15 at 12:49am by DaveOmak 4 675started by Dartguy (4/26/15 at 3:35pm)5/27/15 at 2:46pm by driedstick 2 304started by nepas (5/18/15 at 8:36am)5/27/15 at 2:38pm by driedstick 2 363started by Fancy Hands (7/9/11 at 8:41am)5/20/15 at 4:09am by David Sinanan 5 2,140started by Shaneyb72 (5/17/15 at 3:31pm)5/18/15 at 8:05pm by PuffOfSmoke 7 7995/4/15 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 23 1,108started by nepas (4/26/15 at 12:34pm)4/26/15 at 12:41pm by WaterinHoleBrew 1 161started by thehoz (4/18/15 at 6:38am)4/25/15 at 5:25pm by beartoo 5 1,043started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 911started by panammaniac (4/16/15 at 10:27am)4/21/15 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 7 6124/13/15 at 9:43am by allanyork 38 1,306started by thehoz (4/12/15 at 5:27am)4/12/15 at 8:39am by thehoz 8 2,068started by robo2084 (4/9/15 at 3:57pm)4/9/15 at 4:05pm by nepas 1 371started by DukeBurger (4/1/15 at 5:39pm)4/2/15 at 4:56pm by DukeBurger 7 526started by wagdog (2/22/15 at 9:11pm)3/31/15 at 8:44am by darby1 8 4193/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 946
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › I need help with my mailbox mod please... will not stay lit. 8 minutes ago
- › ps honey bar-b que seasoning question, help!!! 12 minutes ago
- › In response to cranky's porkapolypse 16 minutes ago
- › First pastrami effort 20 minutes ago
- › My first Crack at breakfast sausage 22 minutes ago
- › Flat iron steak 30 minutes ago
- › cleaning your mes 30? 35 minutes ago
- › Pork Shoulder Roast 36 minutes ago
- › quarters 39 minutes ago
- › Fridge rubbed ribs overnight or Not? 39 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations