Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 7
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 650started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,569started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 364started by theblaz (10/5/15 at 11:29am)10/5/15 at 12:31pm by dirtsailor2003 3 280started by RonS (10/5/15 at 10:01am)10/5/15 at 11:34am by dirtsailor2003 3 1,334started by Anthony Gervais (10/1/15 at 8:34pm)10/4/15 at 5:08am by Grabber 7 911started by RonS (10/3/15 at 8:54am)10/3/15 at 11:23am by RonS 3 287started by MrFlufalufagus (5/29/15 at 9:11am)9/30/15 at 4:19pm by Asparky 3 370started by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,713started by Dingo007 (9/28/15 at 5:37pm)9/29/15 at 6:56am by dirtsailor2003 3 509started by shaynadad (9/24/15 at 5:39pm)9/24/15 at 5:39pm by shaynadad 0 778started by smokinginsf (9/23/15 at 10:55am)9/23/15 at 4:02pm by 2grit 3 492started by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 380started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 340started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 292started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8849/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 472started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 164started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 293started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 321started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 137started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 137started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 324Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 191started by fpmich (3/18/15 at 2:50am)8/31/15 at 2:22pm by sawinredneck 9 1,895started by RonS (8/27/15 at 11:09am)8/30/15 at 9:05am by RonS 7 757started by Joanie27 (8/28/15 at 4:32pm)8/29/15 at 10:56am by boutdoorhunter 6 399started by RonS (8/13/15 at 11:27am)8/28/15 at 1:49pm by RonS 7 322started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 988started by RonS (8/23/15 at 10:59am)8/23/15 at 12:47pm by RonS 4 477started by RonS (8/22/15 at 10:52am)8/22/15 at 4:01pm by RonS 11 525started by Bradysyde (8/17/15 at 4:40pm)8/18/15 at 2:56pm by dirtsailor2003 6 1,155started by RonS (8/12/15 at 10:52am)8/17/15 at 2:32pm by sfprankster 17 512started by RonS (8/16/15 at 9:50am)8/17/15 at 10:47am by RonS 11 428started by muralboy (8/8/15 at 12:58pm)8/17/15 at 10:03am by RonS 5 572started by nunantal (8/12/15 at 6:25am)8/12/15 at 6:25am by nunantal 0 210started by Ndwildbill (8/8/15 at 10:36am)8/11/15 at 5:20pm by vwaldoguy 5 307started by bumblebee (8/7/15 at 6:23pm)8/10/15 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 4 309started by sawinredneck (8/5/15 at 4:26pm)8/7/15 at 1:51pm by CrazyMoon 4 300started by lvibe (8/3/15 at 10:43am)8/3/15 at 1:25pm by twoalpha 2 354started by Beaverhunter (8/1/15 at 5:09pm)8/2/15 at 6:23pm by Beaverhunter 2 409started by Smoking AJ (7/26/15 at 9:13pm)7/27/15 at 3:40pm by DaveOmak 1 413started by jcguptill (7/14/15 at 5:18pm)7/23/15 at 3:45am by boykjo 6 581started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,051started by lateralincisor (7/14/15 at 5:22am)7/14/15 at 5:22am by lateralincisor 0 822started by migraine (7/11/15 at 6:58pm)7/11/15 at 9:18pm by DaveOmak 1 222started by onneeye (5/29/15 at 7:42pm)7/11/15 at 5:32pm by onneeye 4 609started by GimmeHarmony (7/11/15 at 9:39am)7/11/15 at 5:14pm by GimmeHarmony 7 438started by bobdog46 (6/26/15 at 9:04am)7/8/15 at 9:08pm by davidabrown 6 2,179
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Wife decided she wanted a brisket..... 2 minutes ago
- › MES 40 dead on arrival 4 minutes ago
- › Last Minute Ribs 5 minutes ago
- › Hello from NJ 7 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork two ways and meatballs 10 minutes ago
- › Pork shoulder smoke any help appreciated 15 minutes ago
- › Brisket on the Webber kettle. 15 minutes ago
- › Hello from Fuquay Varina, NC 16 minutes ago
- › First whole packer 17 minutes ago
- › Oregon Coast 19 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by Travelbilly
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer