Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 5
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Stayhot (6/24/16 at 5:13am)6/28/16 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 1 213started by Farwest (6/21/16 at 2:34pm)6/21/16 at 9:14pm by dirtsailor2003 5 691started by Richard Geist (6/18/16 at 3:00pm)6/21/16 at 1:50am by DaveOmak 11 2,519started by Angioman (4/27/15 at 1:20am)6/17/16 at 6:44am by DaveOmak 11 3,287started by spudsuds (6/15/16 at 10:28am)6/15/16 at 1:47pm by spudsuds 2 205started by canuck38 (6/8/16 at 6:51pm)6/9/16 at 9:49am by canuck38 3 315started by MarkPerry (5/30/16 at 2:48pm)6/8/16 at 9:13am by donr 2 180started by dward51 (5/30/16 at 1:55pm)6/1/16 at 9:43am by donr 2 423started by Petewoody (2/10/10 at 3:55pm)5/30/16 at 3:06pm by MarkPerry 14 7,410started by matlocc (5/19/16 at 6:00am)5/19/16 at 11:25am by SmokinAl 3 149started by Falco78 (4/26/16 at 9:04am)5/4/16 at 1:35pm by Disco 11 475started by coryww (4/30/16 at 9:06pm)5/2/16 at 6:18pm by BillyBoy402 5 591started by MIkeyW1969 (4/27/16 at 11:07am)4/28/16 at 6:47pm by Petewoody 4 528started by lathechips (4/23/16 at 2:27pm)4/23/16 at 3:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 1 3764/17/16 at 11:24am by dirtsailor2003 34 1,079started by Mauser (4/9/16 at 3:01pm)4/9/16 at 3:01pm by Mauser 0 356started by dward51 (4/7/16 at 7:54am)4/9/16 at 8:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 797started by stjoeguy1122 (4/8/16 at 10:34pm)4/9/16 at 6:33am by SmokinAl 3 237started by turbo1 (4/7/16 at 9:50am)4/7/16 at 9:59am by DaveOmak 1 315started by damascusmaker (3/20/16 at 1:52pm)4/7/16 at 2:41am by CrazyMoon 8 930started by beretta92_fs2003 (6/21/10 at 10:20am)4/6/16 at 7:51am by damascusmaker 12 12,040started by bassmanjim8 (4/1/16 at 10:33pm)4/5/16 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 1 360started by skiingsmith (4/5/16 at 8:09am)4/5/16 at 11:37am by Chef JimmyJ 2 252started by bjamm (3/25/16 at 12:31pm)4/4/16 at 12:09pm by Mauser 4 687started by shtrdave (1/1/13 at 5:07pm)3/30/16 at 10:08pm by mrbuzzsaw 13 32,332started by Stainless (3/22/16 at 2:03pm)3/25/16 at 11:07am by tjmitche 4 322started by Pit Boss Tx (3/21/16 at 8:16am)3/24/16 at 9:31am by Pit Boss Tx 5 160started by nunantal (3/12/16 at 11:38am)3/21/16 at 9:18am by Stainless 6 253started by CamoX413 (3/14/16 at 6:05pm)3/18/16 at 10:38am by CamoX413 3 368started by Newburydave (3/8/16 at 8:11am)3/10/16 at 3:26pm by Newburydave 6 300started by ihocky2 (3/6/16 at 11:50am)3/9/16 at 12:11pm by Newburydave 2 299started by muralboy (3/7/16 at 6:43pm)3/9/16 at 2:40am by CrazyMoon 1 238started by CueInCO (3/5/16 at 9:17am)3/7/16 at 10:52am by tjmitche 11 525started by GaryHibbert (2/21/16 at 10:21am)3/6/16 at 8:01am by gary s 15 861started by cornman53 (2/29/16 at 2:58pm)3/5/16 at 3:07pm by CrazyMoon 4 510started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 1,001started by CajunCPO (2/28/16 at 10:03am)2/28/16 at 11:30am by CrazyMoon 2 501started by Farwest (2/19/16 at 2:04pm)2/25/16 at 7:13am by dirtsailor2003 6 603started by MRH (2/15/16 at 9:23am)2/23/16 at 6:02pm by Fight Fire 22 4 425started by Newburydave (2/15/16 at 12:23pm)2/21/16 at 3:10pm by Newburydave 14 4,610started by UrbanPrep718 (1/24/16 at 5:28pm)2/20/16 at 12:43am by Newburydave 13 5842/16/16 at 4:44pm by KingmadeJerky 30 20,7642/16/16 at 4:17pm by KingmadeJerky 35 3,465started by MapleNut (2/13/16 at 4:32pm)2/14/16 at 8:08pm by MapleNut 6 411started by journeyman (2/4/16 at 11:27am)2/5/16 at 1:09pm by johnmeyer 6 684started by Ryan Y (1/24/16 at 8:30am)2/4/16 at 10:20pm by Ryan Y 16 880started by CrazyMoon (2/1/16 at 2:18pm)2/3/16 at 10:00am by WaterinHoleBrew 11 622started by dirtybird (1/25/16 at 10:12am)1/30/16 at 5:32am by johnnyb54 7 4,268started by jeff1 (1/28/16 at 4:04pm)1/29/16 at 9:36am by jeff1 15 594started by johnnyb54 (1/21/16 at 4:28pm)1/28/16 at 10:48pm by DavidSKi 18 504
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Boston butt 23 minutes ago
- › New - Oklahoma Joe's Highland Smoker 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Flavored Beef Jerky 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Beef Short Ribs (sous chefs first short rib cook) 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › hello all 2 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Newbie smoking ribs question 2 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Fattie question 2 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Wife's away 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Bone sour 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Door handle welding caused warp 3 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer