Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 5
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by bjamm (3/25/16 at 12:31pm)4/4/16 at 12:09pm by Mauser 4 674started by shtrdave (1/1/13 at 5:07pm)3/30/16 at 10:08pm by mrbuzzsaw 13 31,136started by Stainless (3/22/16 at 2:03pm)3/25/16 at 11:07am by tjmitche 4 317started by Pit Boss Tx (3/21/16 at 8:16am)3/24/16 at 9:31am by Pit Boss Tx 5 158started by nunantal (3/12/16 at 11:38am)3/21/16 at 9:18am by Stainless 6 248started by CamoX413 (3/14/16 at 6:05pm)3/18/16 at 10:38am by CamoX413 3 367started by Newburydave (3/8/16 at 8:11am)3/10/16 at 3:26pm by Newburydave 6 296started by ihocky2 (3/6/16 at 11:50am)3/9/16 at 12:11pm by Newburydave 2 298started by muralboy (3/7/16 at 6:43pm)3/9/16 at 2:40am by CrazyMoon 1 237started by CueInCO (3/5/16 at 9:17am)3/7/16 at 10:52am by tjmitche 11 511started by GaryHibbert (2/21/16 at 10:21am)3/6/16 at 8:01am by gary s 15 849started by cornman53 (2/29/16 at 2:58pm)3/5/16 at 3:07pm by CrazyMoon 4 505started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 973started by CajunCPO (2/28/16 at 10:03am)2/28/16 at 11:30am by CrazyMoon 2 490started by Farwest (2/19/16 at 2:04pm)2/25/16 at 7:13am by dirtsailor2003 6 584started by MRH (2/15/16 at 9:23am)2/23/16 at 6:02pm by Fight Fire 22 4 409started by Newburydave (2/15/16 at 12:23pm)2/21/16 at 3:10pm by Newburydave 14 3,930started by UrbanPrep718 (1/24/16 at 5:28pm)2/20/16 at 12:43am by Newburydave 13 5822/16/16 at 4:44pm by KingmadeJerky 30 20,0402/16/16 at 4:17pm by KingmadeJerky 35 3,448started by MapleNut (2/13/16 at 4:32pm)2/14/16 at 8:08pm by MapleNut 6 407started by journeyman (2/4/16 at 11:27am)2/5/16 at 1:09pm by johnmeyer 6 678started by Ryan Y (1/24/16 at 8:30am)2/4/16 at 10:20pm by Ryan Y 16 874started by CrazyMoon (2/1/16 at 2:18pm)2/3/16 at 10:00am by WaterinHoleBrew 11 614started by dirtybird (1/25/16 at 10:12am)1/30/16 at 5:32am by johnnyb54 7 3,644started by jeff1 (1/28/16 at 4:04pm)1/29/16 at 9:36am by jeff1 15 587started by johnnyb54 (1/21/16 at 4:28pm)1/28/16 at 10:48pm by DavidSKi 18 5001/28/16 at 2:45pm by CrazyMoon 25 2,425started by tombo (1/24/16 at 6:44pm)1/25/16 at 4:05am by SmokinAl 3 319started by tjmitche (1/22/16 at 9:07am)1/24/16 at 8:57pm by Disco 15 644started by MossyMO (1/16/16 at 9:42am)1/24/16 at 12:51pm by MossyMO 11 468started by Stayhot (1/18/16 at 5:21am)1/19/16 at 4:59am by Stayhot 4 474started by tntragan (1/15/16 at 8:37pm)1/16/16 at 8:46am by redheelerdog 5 629started by billybob8469 (1/13/16 at 7:36pm)1/15/16 at 3:32am by Grabber 10 433started by Flagg (1/14/16 at 5:26am)1/14/16 at 7:47am by SmokinAl 1 175started by GimmeHarmony (10/9/15 at 10:07am)1/13/16 at 11:05am by Stayhot 14 1,735started by Bill Ace 350 (1/7/16 at 7:06am)1/11/16 at 7:02pm by forluvofsmoke 1 458started by tombo (1/9/16 at 9:41am)1/10/16 at 2:25pm by JckDanls 07 5 410started by Nerdtron93 (12/16/15 at 4:36am)1/7/16 at 6:50am by westby 4 841started by pelletuser (12/10/15 at 7:25am)1/7/16 at 6:33am by westby 14 1,027started by MossyMO (1/3/16 at 3:14pm)1/6/16 at 2:46am by CrazyMoon 7 693started by treekanay (1/4/16 at 4:04pm)1/4/16 at 7:51pm by Chef JimmyJ 4 380started by SMOKIN POP-POP (12/4/15 at 4:08pm)12/29/15 at 8:54pm by GermanJP 14 2,156started by dirtsailor2003 (12/20/15 at 12:08pm)12/23/15 at 10:43am by dirtsailor2003 6 332started by No Brag Fact (12/26/10 at 4:23am)12/20/15 at 7:24am by stevie d 4 18,03112/10/15 at 6:40am by dirtsailor2003 91 2,272started by Gomez93 (12/8/15 at 6:03pm)12/9/15 at 2:36pm by Gomez93 5 403started by Humdinger (11/6/15 at 10:00am)12/9/15 at 9:36am by westby 16 1,44312/9/15 at 8:52am by spicy jill 31 76,463started by jmabrao (12/8/15 at 2:18pm)12/8/15 at 6:11pm by dirtsailor2003 1 269
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › new to head cheese 7 minutes ago
- › Frozen fresh ham 14 minutes ago
- › Big Poppa UDS Build with Pics 17 minutes ago
- › Brown sugar cure 23 minutes ago
- › Getting discouraged. Salmon fiasco and Canadian bacon maybe. 26 minutes ago
- › Shirley fabrication question 27 minutes ago
- › Smoked 1/2 Turkey Breast 46 minutes ago
- › Mailbox mod to my Smoke Hollow 47 minutes ago
- › Are you ready to rumble!!!!! March 2017 Throwdown time!!! 52 minutes ago
- › Beef ribs, AKA "Dino bones" in the smoker. Done! Q view up! 53 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations