Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 5
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by JusMeJim (9/18/16 at 6:51am)9/18/16 at 4:31pm by dirtsailor2003 5 3619/18/16 at 9:25am by Food Sleuth 22 42,786started by JusMeJim (9/12/16 at 12:58pm)9/16/16 at 2:20pm by JusMeJim 7 449started by Stayhot (8/18/16 at 7:26am)9/16/16 at 1:45pm by emac221 5 5309/16/16 at 1:32pm by 37miles 31 92,955started by CrankyBuzzard (9/4/16 at 1:32pm)9/15/16 at 7:38pm by Lemans 10 582started by CrankyBuzzard (9/9/16 at 7:48am)9/15/16 at 3:09pm by CrazyMoon 9 315started by Mikedaub (9/11/16 at 5:29am)9/11/16 at 10:25am by Mikedaub 2 364started by birdh8r (9/10/16 at 4:14pm)9/11/16 at 9:54am by DaveOmak 1 153started by superthinjerky (9/9/16 at 6:11pm)9/9/16 at 8:07pm by superthinjerky 2 893started by JusMeJim (9/9/16 at 3:37pm)9/9/16 at 3:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 270started by BelgianBoy (9/4/16 at 6:29am)9/6/16 at 7:55am by forluvofsmoke 5 220started by snickers104 (2/28/13 at 10:55am)8/28/16 at 4:20pm by Brad Nielson 7 2,611started by nepas (8/22/16 at 1:44pm)8/26/16 at 5:31pm by DaveOmak 8 424started by ypsijerk (8/17/16 at 5:10pm)8/22/16 at 5:44am by Uncle Eddie 5 677started by nepas (7/12/16 at 11:16am)8/18/16 at 8:56am by MossyMO 7 391started by nunantal (7/28/16 at 12:47pm)8/17/16 at 1:17pm by DySt0piaN 8 380started by DaveOmak (8/6/16 at 2:18am)8/14/16 at 12:05pm by Sigmo 10 587started by bumblebee (1/6/16 at 3:29pm)8/7/16 at 5:09am by nunantal 10 489started by buzzard (3/15/06 at 12:03am)8/4/16 at 3:06am by NewUser4Jerky 15 2,059started by Rhaugle (8/1/16 at 7:18pm)8/3/16 at 7:26pm by Rhaugle 2 166started by HitNmiss (8/3/16 at 3:34pm)8/3/16 at 7:09pm by dirtsailor2003 2 355started by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 848started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 6097/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 7,070started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 818started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,402started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 688started by Brandon Kennedy (7/27/16 at 9:02am)7/28/16 at 8:42am by dirtsailor2003 4 557started by jmardock (7/22/16 at 11:48am)7/27/16 at 8:58am by jmardock 4 525started by toneeydee (7/24/16 at 9:39am)7/24/16 at 3:48pm by Petewoody 2 334started by isucyclone (7/22/16 at 7:55am)7/22/16 at 10:15am by DeejayDebi 1 335started by Papa Chubby (7/20/16 at 12:26pm)7/21/16 at 2:38am by CrazyMoon 1 3227/12/16 at 7:17pm by silverbirchjack 27 317,261started by dubberz19 (7/7/16 at 5:01pm)7/9/16 at 3:49am by Grabber 4 346started by Pit Boss Tx (3/19/16 at 7:22pm)7/7/16 at 6:45pm by dirtsailor2003 11 945started by Stayhot (7/3/16 at 7:39am)7/7/16 at 11:16am by Sauced 6 942started by SmokeFever (7/3/16 at 5:01pm)7/7/16 at 11:06am by Sauced 11 629started by Stayhot (6/7/16 at 9:52am)7/2/16 at 7:07am by Uncle Eddie 7 531started by BobbyK (7/1/16 at 6:08am)7/1/16 at 4:38pm by Stayhot 3 266started by Stayhot (6/24/16 at 5:13am)6/28/16 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 1 227started by Farwest (6/21/16 at 2:34pm)6/21/16 at 9:14pm by dirtsailor2003 5 697started by Richard Geist (6/18/16 at 3:00pm)6/21/16 at 1:50am by DaveOmak 11 3,057started by Angioman (4/27/15 at 1:20am)6/17/16 at 6:44am by DaveOmak 11 3,313started by spudsuds (6/15/16 at 10:28am)6/15/16 at 1:47pm by spudsuds 2 206started by canuck38 (6/8/16 at 6:51pm)6/9/16 at 9:49am by canuck38 3 318started by MarkPerry (5/30/16 at 2:48pm)6/8/16 at 9:13am by donr 2 182started by dward51 (5/30/16 at 1:55pm)6/1/16 at 9:43am by donr 2 432started by Petewoody (2/10/10 at 3:55pm)5/30/16 at 3:06pm by MarkPerry 14 7,948started by matlocc (5/19/16 at 6:00am)5/19/16 at 11:25am by SmokinAl 3 149
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Smoke Generation Questions 3 minutes ago
- › Hello all you Meat Smokers out there! 6 minutes ago
- › Neighbors ever complain about smoke??? 10 minutes ago
- › Finally—-Eye Round in the SV (Fork Tender!!) 12 minutes ago
- › Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER 16 minutes ago
- › Northern Newbie With New Smoker 18 minutes ago
- › Best Commercial Style Trailer Pit 19 minutes ago
- › Regular Ole New Guy. 21 minutes ago
- › First FULL Brisket 31 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL - model 20051316 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ