Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 5
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 823started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 5877/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 6,938started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 813started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,334started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 684started by Brandon Kennedy (7/27/16 at 9:02am)7/28/16 at 8:42am by dirtsailor2003 4 440started by jmardock (7/22/16 at 11:48am)7/27/16 at 8:58am by jmardock 4 515started by toneeydee (7/24/16 at 9:39am)7/24/16 at 3:48pm by Petewoody 2 327started by isucyclone (7/22/16 at 7:55am)7/22/16 at 10:15am by DeejayDebi 1 324started by Papa Chubby (7/20/16 at 12:26pm)7/21/16 at 2:38am by CrazyMoon 1 3227/12/16 at 7:17pm by silverbirchjack 27 312,366started by dubberz19 (7/7/16 at 5:01pm)7/9/16 at 3:49am by Grabber 4 344started by Pit Boss Tx (3/19/16 at 7:22pm)7/7/16 at 6:45pm by dirtsailor2003 11 936started by Stayhot (7/3/16 at 7:39am)7/7/16 at 11:16am by Sauced 6 899started by SmokeFever (7/3/16 at 5:01pm)7/7/16 at 11:06am by Sauced 11 626started by Stayhot (6/7/16 at 9:52am)7/2/16 at 7:07am by Uncle Eddie 7 530started by BobbyK (7/1/16 at 6:08am)7/1/16 at 4:38pm by Stayhot 3 264started by Stayhot (6/24/16 at 5:13am)6/28/16 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 1 225started by Farwest (6/21/16 at 2:34pm)6/21/16 at 9:14pm by dirtsailor2003 5 694started by Richard Geist (6/18/16 at 3:00pm)6/21/16 at 1:50am by DaveOmak 11 2,688started by Angioman (4/27/15 at 1:20am)6/17/16 at 6:44am by DaveOmak 11 3,301started by spudsuds (6/15/16 at 10:28am)6/15/16 at 1:47pm by spudsuds 2 206started by canuck38 (6/8/16 at 6:51pm)6/9/16 at 9:49am by canuck38 3 316started by MarkPerry (5/30/16 at 2:48pm)6/8/16 at 9:13am by donr 2 182started by dward51 (5/30/16 at 1:55pm)6/1/16 at 9:43am by donr 2 428started by Petewoody (2/10/10 at 3:55pm)5/30/16 at 3:06pm by MarkPerry 14 7,623started by matlocc (5/19/16 at 6:00am)5/19/16 at 11:25am by SmokinAl 3 149started by Falco78 (4/26/16 at 9:04am)5/4/16 at 1:35pm by Disco 11 479started by coryww (4/30/16 at 9:06pm)5/2/16 at 6:18pm by BillyBoy402 5 594started by MIkeyW1969 (4/27/16 at 11:07am)4/28/16 at 6:47pm by Petewoody 4 528started by lathechips (4/23/16 at 2:27pm)4/23/16 at 3:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 1 3814/17/16 at 11:24am by dirtsailor2003 34 1,095started by Mauser (4/9/16 at 3:01pm)4/9/16 at 3:01pm by Mauser 0 358started by dward51 (4/7/16 at 7:54am)4/9/16 at 8:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 810started by stjoeguy1122 (4/8/16 at 10:34pm)4/9/16 at 6:33am by SmokinAl 3 242started by turbo1 (4/7/16 at 9:50am)4/7/16 at 9:59am by DaveOmak 1 317started by damascusmaker (3/20/16 at 1:52pm)4/7/16 at 2:41am by CrazyMoon 8 942started by beretta92_fs2003 (6/21/10 at 10:20am)4/6/16 at 7:51am by damascusmaker 12 12,186started by bassmanjim8 (4/1/16 at 10:33pm)4/5/16 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 1 363started by skiingsmith (4/5/16 at 8:09am)4/5/16 at 11:37am by Chef JimmyJ 2 256started by bjamm (3/25/16 at 12:31pm)4/4/16 at 12:09pm by Mauser 4 696started by shtrdave (1/1/13 at 5:07pm)3/30/16 at 10:08pm by mrbuzzsaw 13 32,818started by Stainless (3/22/16 at 2:03pm)3/25/16 at 11:07am by tjmitche 4 322started by Pit Boss Tx (3/21/16 at 8:16am)3/24/16 at 9:31am by Pit Boss Tx 5 160started by nunantal (3/12/16 at 11:38am)3/21/16 at 9:18am by Stainless 6 253started by CamoX413 (3/14/16 at 6:05pm)3/18/16 at 10:38am by CamoX413 3 368started by Newburydave (3/8/16 at 8:11am)3/10/16 at 3:26pm by Newburydave 6 304started by ihocky2 (3/6/16 at 11:50am)3/9/16 at 12:11pm by Newburydave 2 299started by muralboy (3/7/16 at 6:43pm)3/9/16 at 2:40am by CrazyMoon 1 238
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New here and new to smoking meats. 38 seconds ago
- › Howdy from Athens, GA! 3 minutes ago
- › MES 30: Heats up, then gives up. 6 minutes ago
- › WSM Newbie...some questions regarding temp. and smoke taste... 6 minutes ago
- › Thank you for the add 10 minutes ago
- › Cast Iron/Smoked Venison 12 minutes ago
- › Turkey Breast Tenderloin.... Never smoked it B4 /Q-vue 14 minutes ago
- › I've been lurking a while... 14 minutes ago
- › My 2016 Sauces 15 minutes ago
- › instulated smoker or thicker metal smoker 19 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by Jarch
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS