Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 5
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by matlocc (5/19/16 at 6:00am)5/19/16 at 11:25am by SmokinAl 3 149started by Falco78 (4/26/16 at 9:04am)5/4/16 at 1:35pm by Disco 11 472started by coryww (4/30/16 at 9:06pm)5/2/16 at 6:18pm by BillyBoy402 5 589started by MIkeyW1969 (4/27/16 at 11:07am)4/28/16 at 6:47pm by Petewoody 4 524started by lathechips (4/23/16 at 2:27pm)4/23/16 at 3:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 1 3664/17/16 at 11:24am by dirtsailor2003 34 1,060started by Mauser (4/9/16 at 3:01pm)4/9/16 at 3:01pm by Mauser 0 355started by dward51 (4/7/16 at 7:54am)4/9/16 at 8:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 770started by stjoeguy1122 (4/8/16 at 10:34pm)4/9/16 at 6:33am by SmokinAl 3 234started by turbo1 (4/7/16 at 9:50am)4/7/16 at 9:59am by DaveOmak 1 314started by damascusmaker (3/20/16 at 1:52pm)4/7/16 at 2:41am by CrazyMoon 8 915started by beretta92_fs2003 (6/21/10 at 10:20am)4/6/16 at 7:51am by damascusmaker 12 11,826started by bassmanjim8 (4/1/16 at 10:33pm)4/5/16 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 1 357started by skiingsmith (4/5/16 at 8:09am)4/5/16 at 11:37am by Chef JimmyJ 2 249started by bjamm (3/25/16 at 12:31pm)4/4/16 at 12:09pm by Mauser 4 679started by shtrdave (1/1/13 at 5:07pm)3/30/16 at 10:08pm by mrbuzzsaw 13 31,745started by Stainless (3/22/16 at 2:03pm)3/25/16 at 11:07am by tjmitche 4 321started by Pit Boss Tx (3/21/16 at 8:16am)3/24/16 at 9:31am by Pit Boss Tx 5 160started by nunantal (3/12/16 at 11:38am)3/21/16 at 9:18am by Stainless 6 252started by CamoX413 (3/14/16 at 6:05pm)3/18/16 at 10:38am by CamoX413 3 368started by Newburydave (3/8/16 at 8:11am)3/10/16 at 3:26pm by Newburydave 6 298started by ihocky2 (3/6/16 at 11:50am)3/9/16 at 12:11pm by Newburydave 2 298started by muralboy (3/7/16 at 6:43pm)3/9/16 at 2:40am by CrazyMoon 1 238started by CueInCO (3/5/16 at 9:17am)3/7/16 at 10:52am by tjmitche 11 515started by GaryHibbert (2/21/16 at 10:21am)3/6/16 at 8:01am by gary s 15 851started by cornman53 (2/29/16 at 2:58pm)3/5/16 at 3:07pm by CrazyMoon 4 508started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 985started by CajunCPO (2/28/16 at 10:03am)2/28/16 at 11:30am by CrazyMoon 2 500started by Farwest (2/19/16 at 2:04pm)2/25/16 at 7:13am by dirtsailor2003 6 591started by MRH (2/15/16 at 9:23am)2/23/16 at 6:02pm by Fight Fire 22 4 417started by Newburydave (2/15/16 at 12:23pm)2/21/16 at 3:10pm by Newburydave 14 4,234started by UrbanPrep718 (1/24/16 at 5:28pm)2/20/16 at 12:43am by Newburydave 13 5842/16/16 at 4:44pm by KingmadeJerky 30 20,3942/16/16 at 4:17pm by KingmadeJerky 35 3,457started by MapleNut (2/13/16 at 4:32pm)2/14/16 at 8:08pm by MapleNut 6 407started by journeyman (2/4/16 at 11:27am)2/5/16 at 1:09pm by johnmeyer 6 683started by Ryan Y (1/24/16 at 8:30am)2/4/16 at 10:20pm by Ryan Y 16 878started by CrazyMoon (2/1/16 at 2:18pm)2/3/16 at 10:00am by WaterinHoleBrew 11 616started by dirtybird (1/25/16 at 10:12am)1/30/16 at 5:32am by johnnyb54 7 3,975started by jeff1 (1/28/16 at 4:04pm)1/29/16 at 9:36am by jeff1 15 590started by johnnyb54 (1/21/16 at 4:28pm)1/28/16 at 10:48pm by DavidSKi 18 5021/28/16 at 2:45pm by CrazyMoon 25 2,445started by tombo (1/24/16 at 6:44pm)1/25/16 at 4:05am by SmokinAl 3 321started by tjmitche (1/22/16 at 9:07am)1/24/16 at 8:57pm by Disco 15 650started by MossyMO (1/16/16 at 9:42am)1/24/16 at 12:51pm by MossyMO 11 482started by Stayhot (1/18/16 at 5:21am)1/19/16 at 4:59am by Stayhot 4 483started by tntragan (1/15/16 at 8:37pm)1/16/16 at 8:46am by redheelerdog 5 631started by billybob8469 (1/13/16 at 7:36pm)1/15/16 at 3:32am by Grabber 10 439started by Flagg (1/14/16 at 5:26am)1/14/16 at 7:47am by SmokinAl 1 175started by GimmeHarmony (10/9/15 at 10:07am)1/13/16 at 11:05am by Stayhot 14 1,736
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › My first competition! 13 seconds ago
- › cooked spare ribs - how to maintain temperature for hours 1 minute ago
- › butt marinade question. 2 minutes ago
- › ***Grilling Smoking & Fire Safety Tips*** 8 minutes ago
- › Have You Ever Listened 15 minutes ago
- › My 250 Gal. side box build. 21 minutes ago
- › Hello from Texas 31 minutes ago
- › GMG surface temp variances 33 minutes ago
- › Is it just me? 34 minutes ago
- › Newbie wondering what the next steps are to improve on my first smoke? 44 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices