Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 4
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by kb3ejw14 (10/9/16 at 3:47pm)10/13/16 at 1:39am by kb3ejw14 4 265started by twoalpha (7/28/15 at 11:02am)10/11/16 at 9:10am by theBoyler 15 4,878started by Delaware Smoker (10/9/16 at 8:02am)10/9/16 at 8:02am by Delaware Smoker 0 140started by WaterinHoleBrew (10/3/16 at 5:27pm)10/8/16 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 13 414started by LCSmokeaddict (10/5/16 at 7:29am)10/5/16 at 1:34pm by LCSmokeaddict 7 873started by kb3ejw14 (10/2/16 at 9:40am)10/3/16 at 12:17pm by Rob Sicc 9 258started by Xray (10/2/16 at 11:01am)10/3/16 at 11:18am by Xray 5 380started by Jerky Smith (8/4/16 at 8:22am)10/3/16 at 8:27am by Jerky Smith 11 905started by Rob Sicc (9/20/16 at 8:38am)10/3/16 at 8:00am by dogman60 18 49610/1/16 at 8:25am by dirtsailor2003 51 6949/25/16 at 12:44pm by DaveOmak 22 783started by redheelerdog (9/24/16 at 12:11pm)9/24/16 at 5:26pm by WaterinHoleBrew 2 230started by JusMeJim (9/18/16 at 6:51am)9/18/16 at 4:31pm by dirtsailor2003 5 3559/18/16 at 9:25am by Food Sleuth 22 40,489started by JusMeJim (9/12/16 at 12:58pm)9/16/16 at 2:20pm by JusMeJim 7 443started by Stayhot (8/18/16 at 7:26am)9/16/16 at 1:45pm by emac221 5 5239/16/16 at 1:32pm by 37miles 31 90,555started by CrankyBuzzard (9/4/16 at 1:32pm)9/15/16 at 7:38pm by Lemans 10 553started by CrankyBuzzard (9/9/16 at 7:48am)9/15/16 at 3:09pm by CrazyMoon 9 309started by Mikedaub (9/11/16 at 5:29am)9/11/16 at 10:25am by Mikedaub 2 356started by birdh8r (9/10/16 at 4:14pm)9/11/16 at 9:54am by DaveOmak 1 151started by superthinjerky (9/9/16 at 6:11pm)9/9/16 at 8:07pm by superthinjerky 2 729started by JusMeJim (9/9/16 at 3:37pm)9/9/16 at 3:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 264started by BelgianBoy (9/4/16 at 6:29am)9/6/16 at 7:55am by forluvofsmoke 5 218started by snickers104 (2/28/13 at 10:55am)8/28/16 at 4:20pm by Brad Nielson 7 2,532started by nepas (8/22/16 at 1:44pm)8/26/16 at 5:31pm by DaveOmak 8 418started by ypsijerk (8/17/16 at 5:10pm)8/22/16 at 5:44am by Uncle Eddie 5 539started by nepas (7/12/16 at 11:16am)8/18/16 at 8:56am by MossyMO 7 382started by nunantal (7/28/16 at 12:47pm)8/17/16 at 1:17pm by DySt0piaN 8 367started by DaveOmak (8/6/16 at 2:18am)8/14/16 at 12:05pm by Sigmo 10 563started by bumblebee (1/6/16 at 3:29pm)8/7/16 at 5:09am by nunantal 10 484started by buzzard (3/15/06 at 12:03am)8/4/16 at 3:06am by NewUser4Jerky 15 2,047started by Rhaugle (8/1/16 at 7:18pm)8/3/16 at 7:26pm by Rhaugle 2 160started by HitNmiss (8/3/16 at 3:34pm)8/3/16 at 7:09pm by dirtsailor2003 2 297started by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 811started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 5757/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 6,871started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 806started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,295started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 678started by Brandon Kennedy (7/27/16 at 9:02am)7/28/16 at 8:42am by dirtsailor2003 4 406started by jmardock (7/22/16 at 11:48am)7/27/16 at 8:58am by jmardock 4 511started by toneeydee (7/24/16 at 9:39am)7/24/16 at 3:48pm by Petewoody 2 321started by isucyclone (7/22/16 at 7:55am)7/22/16 at 10:15am by DeejayDebi 1 312started by Papa Chubby (7/20/16 at 12:26pm)7/21/16 at 2:38am by CrazyMoon 1 3207/12/16 at 7:17pm by silverbirchjack 27 309,805started by dubberz19 (7/7/16 at 5:01pm)7/9/16 at 3:49am by Grabber 4 340started by Pit Boss Tx (3/19/16 at 7:22pm)7/7/16 at 6:45pm by dirtsailor2003 11 931started by Stayhot (7/3/16 at 7:39am)7/7/16 at 11:16am by Sauced 6 870started by SmokeFever (7/3/16 at 5:01pm)7/7/16 at 11:06am by Sauced 11 619
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Oklahoma Joe Highlander Damper Not Working with Wood 40 minutes ago
- › I love the bags from Vacum Sealers Unlimited!!! Pics included!! 50 minutes ago
- › New guy from Florida; New to Smoking 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › First whole packer 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Beginner stepping into this world 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › 2nd butt on my MES - QView 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Can't Keep The Pellets Lit! 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Beef Short Ribs (sous chefs first short rib cook) 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Vacuum Sealer Bags & Supplies - Discount Coupon 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Another VacuumSealersUnlimited thread plus VacMaster review 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by Travelbilly
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer