Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 4
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by ypsijerk (8/17/16 at 5:10pm)8/22/16 at 5:44am by Uncle Eddie 5 459started by nepas (7/12/16 at 11:16am)8/18/16 at 8:56am by MossyMO 7 371started by nunantal (7/28/16 at 12:47pm)8/17/16 at 1:17pm by DySt0piaN 8 357started by DaveOmak (8/6/16 at 2:18am)8/14/16 at 12:05pm by Sigmo 10 546started by bumblebee (1/6/16 at 3:29pm)8/7/16 at 5:09am by nunantal 10 475started by buzzard (3/15/06 at 12:03am)8/4/16 at 3:06am by NewUser4Jerky 15 2,043started by Rhaugle (8/1/16 at 7:18pm)8/3/16 at 7:26pm by Rhaugle 2 156started by HitNmiss (8/3/16 at 3:34pm)8/3/16 at 7:09pm by dirtsailor2003 2 243started by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 775started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 5487/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 6,685started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 796started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,245started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 668started by Brandon Kennedy (7/27/16 at 9:02am)7/28/16 at 8:42am by dirtsailor2003 4 331started by jmardock (7/22/16 at 11:48am)7/27/16 at 8:58am by jmardock 4 498started by toneeydee (7/24/16 at 9:39am)7/24/16 at 3:48pm by Petewoody 2 314started by isucyclone (7/22/16 at 7:55am)7/22/16 at 10:15am by DeejayDebi 1 295started by Papa Chubby (7/20/16 at 12:26pm)7/21/16 at 2:38am by CrazyMoon 1 3147/12/16 at 7:17pm by silverbirchjack 27 303,408started by dubberz19 (7/7/16 at 5:01pm)7/9/16 at 3:49am by Grabber 4 328started by Pit Boss Tx (3/19/16 at 7:22pm)7/7/16 at 6:45pm by dirtsailor2003 11 913started by Stayhot (7/3/16 at 7:39am)7/7/16 at 11:16am by Sauced 6 820started by SmokeFever (7/3/16 at 5:01pm)7/7/16 at 11:06am by Sauced 11 604started by Stayhot (6/7/16 at 9:52am)7/2/16 at 7:07am by Uncle Eddie 7 527started by BobbyK (7/1/16 at 6:08am)7/1/16 at 4:38pm by Stayhot 3 262started by Stayhot (6/24/16 at 5:13am)6/28/16 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 1 205started by Farwest (6/21/16 at 2:34pm)6/21/16 at 9:14pm by dirtsailor2003 5 677started by Richard Geist (6/18/16 at 3:00pm)6/21/16 at 1:50am by DaveOmak 11 2,112started by Angioman (4/27/15 at 1:20am)6/17/16 at 6:44am by DaveOmak 11 3,270started by spudsuds (6/15/16 at 10:28am)6/15/16 at 1:47pm by spudsuds 2 204started by canuck38 (6/8/16 at 6:51pm)6/9/16 at 9:49am by canuck38 3 311started by MarkPerry (5/30/16 at 2:48pm)6/8/16 at 9:13am by donr 2 177started by dward51 (5/30/16 at 1:55pm)6/1/16 at 9:43am by donr 2 417started by Petewoody (2/10/10 at 3:55pm)5/30/16 at 3:06pm by MarkPerry 14 6,9485/24/16 at 9:56am by Bearcarver 53 4,656started by matlocc (5/19/16 at 6:00am)5/19/16 at 11:25am by SmokinAl 3 149started by Falco78 (4/26/16 at 9:04am)5/4/16 at 1:35pm by Disco 11 469started by coryww (4/30/16 at 9:06pm)5/2/16 at 6:18pm by BillyBoy402 5 586started by MIkeyW1969 (4/27/16 at 11:07am)4/28/16 at 6:47pm by Petewoody 4 524started by lathechips (4/23/16 at 2:27pm)4/23/16 at 3:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 1 3404/17/16 at 11:24am by dirtsailor2003 34 1,047started by Mauser (4/9/16 at 3:01pm)4/9/16 at 3:01pm by Mauser 0 352started by dward51 (4/7/16 at 7:54am)4/9/16 at 8:03am by dirtsailor2003 11 755started by stjoeguy1122 (4/8/16 at 10:34pm)4/9/16 at 6:33am by SmokinAl 3 233started by turbo1 (4/7/16 at 9:50am)4/7/16 at 9:59am by DaveOmak 1 312started by damascusmaker (3/20/16 at 1:52pm)4/7/16 at 2:41am by CrazyMoon 8 896started by beretta92_fs2003 (6/21/10 at 10:20am)4/6/16 at 7:51am by damascusmaker 12 11,665started by bassmanjim8 (4/1/16 at 10:33pm)4/5/16 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 1 351started by skiingsmith (4/5/16 at 8:09am)4/5/16 at 11:37am by Chef JimmyJ 2 245
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Getting discouraged. Salmon fiasco and Canadian bacon maybe. 17 minutes ago
- › HELP with breakfast link casings 29 minutes ago
- › Frozen fresh ham 37 minutes ago
- › pork loin for sausage 39 minutes ago
- › Shirley fabrication question 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Big Poppa UDS Build with Pics 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › B-Day Chicken Dinner Winner 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Rotisserie Lamb 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Rec Tec or Grilla? 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Hooked on this site! 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives