Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 4
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Lost (1/5/17 at 6:31am)1/7/17 at 9:40am by Lost 8 257started by Ihook (5/9/15 at 6:32am)1/6/17 at 2:12pm by mab007 4 724started by cmayna (1/6/17 at 7:59am)1/6/17 at 9:55am by cmayna 4 2161/5/17 at 10:04am by ammaturesmoker 28 3,510started by MathMan (12/28/16 at 10:46am)12/31/16 at 10:15am by CrankyBuzzard 5 380started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:40pm)12/30/16 at 7:29am by Chef JimmyJ 10 325started by salmonclubber (11/10/09 at 10:23pm)12/29/16 at 7:01pm by Jonny5000 16 3,670started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:54am)12/29/16 at 2:43pm by CrazyMoon 3 322started by nepas (8/8/16 at 3:33am)12/29/16 at 7:47am by Ironhorse07 11 1,015started by Heavymoose (12/24/16 at 12:27pm)12/26/16 at 1:57pm by Heavymoose 4 200started by JohnH12 (12/26/16 at 5:37am)12/26/16 at 7:55am by JohnH12 2 160started by Reeltight79 (12/24/16 at 9:02am)12/24/16 at 1:19pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 598started by JohnH12 (12/23/16 at 12:01pm)12/23/16 at 2:44pm by CrankyBuzzard 3 527started by Heavymoose (12/18/16 at 7:08am)12/23/16 at 12:00pm by Heavymoose 5 314started by Mc Smokerson (12/22/16 at 7:24am)12/22/16 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 606started by julian537 (12/18/16 at 8:33pm)12/20/16 at 8:47am by julian537 7 555started by sledhead01 (12/6/16 at 10:06am)12/20/16 at 7:19am by CrankyBuzzard 13 582started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 1,015started by 123chadder (12/17/16 at 10:59pm)12/18/16 at 8:27am by 123chadder 3 539started by nepas (12/12/16 at 8:25am)12/18/16 at 2:00am by CrazyMoon 14 347started by RubHeavy (12/13/16 at 7:41pm)12/15/16 at 7:05pm by MyOwnIdaho 18 737started by bigbuck (12/14/16 at 6:13am)12/15/16 at 8:14am by dirtsailor2003 4 1,243started by MyOwnIdaho (11/27/16 at 11:54am)12/12/16 at 8:35am by MyOwnIdaho 3 263started by wayerfowl lvr (12/6/16 at 3:26pm)12/11/16 at 2:49pm by Bladeguy 3 226started by Vikings8480 (9/27/16 at 11:25am)12/11/16 at 9:51am by cashxx 3 1,75312/10/16 at 7:16am by Bomax 20 2,266started by LaVenna Kay Cox (12/8/16 at 7:15pm)12/9/16 at 6:29am by LarkinJr 3 136started by bigbuck (12/7/16 at 6:57am)12/7/16 at 12:41pm by dirtsailor2003 1 289started by revid (11/26/16 at 9:46am)12/6/16 at 4:44pm by Stainless 5 620started by Smokin218R (12/1/16 at 12:04pm)12/5/16 at 9:00am by Smokin218R 10 743started by nepas (12/1/16 at 2:27pm)12/4/16 at 2:56pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 296started by moresmoke (12/2/16 at 3:29pm)12/4/16 at 11:56am by Smokin Jay 8 370started by CrazyMoon (12/3/16 at 1:09pm)12/4/16 at 11:31am by Smokin Jay 5 259started by STEXDVLDOGPILOT (12/4/16 at 9:40am)12/4/16 at 10:36am by STEXDVLDOGPILOT 3 539started by nepas (11/29/16 at 8:33am)12/3/16 at 2:51pm by Disco 7 240started by antelope1027 (12/2/16 at 10:25pm)12/3/16 at 4:29am by Petewoody 1 277started by nepas (11/26/16 at 8:15am)11/30/16 at 3:43pm by Disco 8 228started by y2ba (11/24/16 at 7:53pm)11/25/16 at 6:44am by y2ba 2 401started by Kel Krause (11/21/16 at 10:22am)11/22/16 at 5:49pm by Kel Krause 4 355started by mlol (11/9/16 at 2:07am)11/22/16 at 10:01am by dirtsailor2003 6 373started by WNC Goater (11/13/16 at 2:34pm)11/17/16 at 6:51am by WNC Goater 4 289started by flipman77 (11/15/16 at 6:07am)11/15/16 at 10:37am by flipman77 2 823started by jennspen91 (11/11/16 at 1:55pm)11/12/16 at 12:35pm by Stainless 1 178started by kb3ejw14 (11/8/16 at 6:48am)11/8/16 at 10:07am by kb3ejw14 5 414started by muddydogs (10/30/16 at 6:50am)11/2/16 at 1:47pm by donr 1 60110/29/16 at 3:38pm by Disco 31 1,390started by jtupper (10/27/16 at 9:14am)10/28/16 at 8:17am by jtupper 4 339started by Brandon Kennedy (10/27/16 at 5:32pm)10/27/16 at 7:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 370started by Rick031 (10/27/16 at 6:14am)10/27/16 at 8:58am by Rick031 2 581started by SWLACAJUN (10/25/16 at 10:32am)10/25/16 at 6:48pm by JckDanls 07 6 354
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › 1939 Frigidaire Build.....Wife is pissed! 32 seconds ago
- › New Kamado Joe Owner 3 minutes ago
- › Using charcoal in a propane smoker 6 minutes ago
- › Rubbery chicken skin, I just dont know where I went wrong. 8 minutes ago
- › New from Long Island/NY. 9 minutes ago
- › Brisket freezing question... 9 minutes ago
- › Curing Safely 11 minutes ago
- › Cold smoke 23 minutes ago
- › tongue and cheek barbacoa question 39 minutes ago
- › Choosing a new smoker 43 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › How to choose a good gas grill
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy