Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 4
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by redheelerdog (9/24/16 at 12:11pm)9/24/16 at 5:26pm by WaterinHoleBrew 2 228started by JusMeJim (9/18/16 at 6:51am)9/18/16 at 4:31pm by dirtsailor2003 5 3549/18/16 at 9:25am by Food Sleuth 22 39,401started by JusMeJim (9/12/16 at 12:58pm)9/16/16 at 2:20pm by JusMeJim 7 441started by Stayhot (8/18/16 at 7:26am)9/16/16 at 1:45pm by emac221 5 5189/16/16 at 1:32pm by 37miles 31 89,393started by CrankyBuzzard (9/4/16 at 1:32pm)9/15/16 at 7:38pm by Lemans 10 553started by CrankyBuzzard (9/9/16 at 7:48am)9/15/16 at 3:09pm by CrazyMoon 9 307started by Mikedaub (9/11/16 at 5:29am)9/11/16 at 10:25am by Mikedaub 2 352started by birdh8r (9/10/16 at 4:14pm)9/11/16 at 9:54am by DaveOmak 1 151started by superthinjerky (9/9/16 at 6:11pm)9/9/16 at 8:07pm by superthinjerky 2 657started by JusMeJim (9/9/16 at 3:37pm)9/9/16 at 3:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 256started by BelgianBoy (9/4/16 at 6:29am)9/6/16 at 7:55am by forluvofsmoke 5 215started by snickers104 (2/28/13 at 10:55am)8/28/16 at 4:20pm by Brad Nielson 7 2,476started by nepas (8/22/16 at 1:44pm)8/26/16 at 5:31pm by DaveOmak 8 418started by ypsijerk (8/17/16 at 5:10pm)8/22/16 at 5:44am by Uncle Eddie 5 503started by nepas (7/12/16 at 11:16am)8/18/16 at 8:56am by MossyMO 7 376started by nunantal (7/28/16 at 12:47pm)8/17/16 at 1:17pm by DySt0piaN 8 361started by DaveOmak (8/6/16 at 2:18am)8/14/16 at 12:05pm by Sigmo 10 553started by bumblebee (1/6/16 at 3:29pm)8/7/16 at 5:09am by nunantal 10 477started by buzzard (3/15/06 at 12:03am)8/4/16 at 3:06am by NewUser4Jerky 15 2,045started by Rhaugle (8/1/16 at 7:18pm)8/3/16 at 7:26pm by Rhaugle 2 156started by HitNmiss (8/3/16 at 3:34pm)8/3/16 at 7:09pm by dirtsailor2003 2 264started by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 797started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 5597/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 6,754started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 801started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,268started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 675started by Brandon Kennedy (7/27/16 at 9:02am)7/28/16 at 8:42am by dirtsailor2003 4 359started by jmardock (7/22/16 at 11:48am)7/27/16 at 8:58am by jmardock 4 510started by toneeydee (7/24/16 at 9:39am)7/24/16 at 3:48pm by Petewoody 2 314started by isucyclone (7/22/16 at 7:55am)7/22/16 at 10:15am by DeejayDebi 1 303started by Papa Chubby (7/20/16 at 12:26pm)7/21/16 at 2:38am by CrazyMoon 1 3157/12/16 at 7:17pm by silverbirchjack 27 306,528started by dubberz19 (7/7/16 at 5:01pm)7/9/16 at 3:49am by Grabber 4 330started by Pit Boss Tx (3/19/16 at 7:22pm)7/7/16 at 6:45pm by dirtsailor2003 11 924started by Stayhot (7/3/16 at 7:39am)7/7/16 at 11:16am by Sauced 6 842started by SmokeFever (7/3/16 at 5:01pm)7/7/16 at 11:06am by Sauced 11 611started by Stayhot (6/7/16 at 9:52am)7/2/16 at 7:07am by Uncle Eddie 7 528started by BobbyK (7/1/16 at 6:08am)7/1/16 at 4:38pm by Stayhot 3 262started by Stayhot (6/24/16 at 5:13am)6/28/16 at 2:39am by CrazyMoon 1 206started by Farwest (6/21/16 at 2:34pm)6/21/16 at 9:14pm by dirtsailor2003 5 678started by Richard Geist (6/18/16 at 3:00pm)6/21/16 at 1:50am by DaveOmak 11 2,296started by Angioman (4/27/15 at 1:20am)6/17/16 at 6:44am by DaveOmak 11 3,276started by spudsuds (6/15/16 at 10:28am)6/15/16 at 1:47pm by spudsuds 2 205started by canuck38 (6/8/16 at 6:51pm)6/9/16 at 9:49am by canuck38 3 312started by MarkPerry (5/30/16 at 2:48pm)6/8/16 at 9:13am by donr 2 177started by dward51 (5/30/16 at 1:55pm)6/1/16 at 9:43am by donr 2 421started by Petewoody (2/10/10 at 3:55pm)5/30/16 at 3:06pm by MarkPerry 14 7,149
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Ribs, Chicken and Red Fish! 1 minute ago
- › Is it just me? 3 minutes ago
- › New guy 14 minutes ago
- › Quickest technique to making bulk snack sticks 14 minutes ago
- › Hello from Texas 15 minutes ago
- › Competition smoking 16 minutes ago
- › cooked spare ribs - how to maintain temperature for hours 20 minutes ago
- › Chicken Philly Cheesesteak 22 minutes ago
- › Hello -- New to SMF 22 minutes ago
- › New to the forum 25 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices